• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Harlequin Enterprises Ltd.

Eltondiva

Effieron Empress
Registered
Reaction score
Is it just me or do they not take subs from folks other than the US and Canada as the drop down box is only showing these options on the registration page??????

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
There's a line below that which says 'Don't live in the US or Canada?' Click that and follow the instructions.

Although, if you're writing for one of the London office lines, you can also just email it as described on this page.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I am totally going to check out Harlequin Shivers.
Also, aside the Oceania-oriented imprint mentioned by Gingerwoman, there's also the other Carina - Carina UK.
Those lines are also very strongly digital first.
And to answer another question yes Spice was phased out just before the success of 50 shades because the public didn't buy erotica apparently lol Spice type books are now published under HQN, Mira (agented only imprints) or Carina.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Harlequin sold to NewsCorp - to become a division of HarperCollins

Mods, I wasn't sure if this was exactly the right place for this...

News just announced today:

http://www.thestar.com/business/2014/05/02/torstar_sells_harlequin_to_news_corp.html

Torstar Corp. announced Friday it is selling Harlequin, one of the world’s leading publishers of books for women, to News Corp for $455 million in cash.

Harlequin will become a division of HarperCollins, which is a subsidiary of News Corp.

“Harlequin has been an important part of Torstar over the past 39 years and we are very proud of the global success it has achieved,” said David Holland, President and Chief Executive Officer of Torstar Corp. in a news release.

Torstar acquired control of Harlequin in 1975 and full ownership in 1981.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'll move this from our General Publishing Discussion room to the Round Table, where I suspect more people will see it.

Wow indeed.

Granada

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting news. Half a billion doesn't seem like a lot for a huge brand -- is it a lot?
I wonder what the implications will be for writers and readers...

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
We're all still flummoxed by this news. I'm not with any Harlequin imprint, but I am interested in a couple of them. I'm definitely holding off sending anything, until my agent and I see what the new management brings.

Last edited:

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
The RWA has sent out an e-mail to all members about the takeover.

On Friday, May 2, Torstar Corp. announced that it is selling Harlequin Enterprises to News Corp. for 455 million Canadian dollars (in cash). Harlequin will become a division of HarperCollins Publishers (a News Corp. subsidiary) and remain headquartered in Toronto.

According to HarperCollins President and CEO Brian Murray, “The Harlequin name and rich heritage will be preserved independently, with the aim to leverage capabilities to bring the book-reading public more choices. Harlequin’s business has grown internationally, and will give HarperCollins an immediate foothold in 11 new countries from which we can expand into dozens of foreign languages for authors who choose to work with us globally.”

Yet to be answered are questions on how this acquisition will affect future book contract terms (such as royalty rates and rights), library lending policies, continuation of series lines, and acquisition of new authors/works.

The acquisition is subject to regulatory approvals and the approval of Torstar’s Class A shareholders, and the parties expect to close the transaction by the end of September.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
I dunno. With the passage of time, it seems all the big publishers are slowly starting to meld into one, like scattered drops of mercury. One day all that will be left is HugeConGlomCo Worldwide Publishing and Media, and sorry, there's not room for your stuff, you ink-stained wretch you.

Granada

Registered
Reaction score

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
On the surface, this strikes me as good news, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Harlequin was quite profitable for them and all Canadian media have been squeezed financially the past few years. My guess is either they needed some cash, or are wanting to concentrate on their 'core' business of newspapers, etc.

Yep, Toronto Star is shedding assets and many of its star (groan) reporters like Robyn Doolittle are having to find other opportunities. This is no different to Canwest but it looks like Canwest has finished with its large round of cuts to its staff.

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
At second glance, it looks like Torstar wanted cash and less legal exposure, and NewsCorp may be in so many lawsuits it doesn't care about one more.

Maybe so.

My guess is that it will eventually be settled out of court, and the activities by the publisher which gave rise to the litigation abandoned by the new owners. (For myself, I certainly wouldn't be submitting a manuscript there without very clear indications that that had happened.)

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
To rip off a joke I saw on Twitter today:

Wow -- first Penguin, now Harlequin. Publishing is not a good place to be a Batman villain.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I worked for Torstar until 3 weeks ago. They offered other opportunities when they shut down our division, but I took the package. I think the print newspaper industry is hurtin' bad, but that is my extremely unprofessional opinion.

Maybe I'll see if I can make this writing gig work.

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
Harlequin Shivers line

Just an FYI- Harlequin E-Shivers will no longer be taking submissions, according to the email I just received. I subbed just over 2 weeks ago.

melnve

Registered
Reaction score
Same with the e - "other" category, no longer accepting subs. Although it took almost five months for them to tell me.