• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Harlequin Enterprises Ltd.

MsLaylaCakes

Playing the waiting game
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taraquan.com
Would a publishing credit from Harlequin be worth something? Oh, I am talking about the digital first imprint. Do you think their standards are still as high? I know harlequin is a very good publisher, I am just wondering if I got an offer from the digital first imprint, would an agent find that interesting?

I think there's a whole separate thread on Carina Press (which, I believe, is Harlequin's digital only imprint).

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Mills and Boon = Harlequin.

They use different branding in different countries for historical reasons.

Books branded Riva in the UK have been branded either as Presents Extra or Romance in the US, depending on heat level. When Kiss launches, they'll come out under that branding in the US.

All this info is on the Harlequin and M&B websites under 'aspiring authors' if you're genuinely curious. But as always, the best advice is to read the line you want to submit to.

Well, I knew a little bit about it. However, the differences between Presents and Presents Extra always threw me off. I knew Mills and Boon and Harlequin were the same company/publisher, and that the same books were published in different lines. However, what line equated to what always got me. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not entirely sure about them though. I don't know if what I write really fits in with them(or at least the lines that I like by them).

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
There is also a third digital first line Harlequin Escape aimed specifically at Australians and New Zealanders. Anyone from anywhere can send a manuscript to any of the three though I believe.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
It says they're seeking word counts as low as 10K, but what if you have a full length novel, does the digital first mean the digital only? Or would you see it in print eventually?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw that Carina Press (digital first) does not pay advances. Does that mean the same for Harlequin Digital First too?

It also says your book might go into print. I wonder if it's the same for the digital imprint too.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I submitted to the Harlequin Digital First imprint and got a message a few days later saying my submission was incomplete and they wanted me to resend. Even though they probably do that to everyone that doesn't submit right, I thought it was pretty cool they let me know.

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with that digital first line? I wonder what kind of promotion they do? I'd like to see some of their titles. Not that I'm worried about the quality, I know Harlequin is a big deal, but I would like to see what kind of look they're going for. Also, I wonder about "digital first" as opposed to Carnia's "digital" with, apparently, some print, right? So is the digital first line mean they will 100% go to print? Will they be part of the regular distribution channels that Harlequin has? (e.g. pretty darn near everywhere).

Any authors here have any experience with this new imprint? It's nice that they are open to unagented submissions. I hope that lasts a while.

DruidKitt

Snarky McWriterPants
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone submitted to their Cosmo Red Hot Reads line? I was just wondering about time frame for responses. They've only had my manuscript for 3 weeks, but I was wondering how long I should buckle down for. :)

MandyHarbin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mandyharbin.com
Just dropping in to say I submitted to the Harlequin Digital First line back in early December. At 13 weeks, I nudged since I hadn't heard back. Two weeks later I got a nice email apologizing for the delay and stating that my submission was "currently under review with our acquisitions team". Not sure if that's standard procedure or what, but that was four weeks ago. I've been crazy busy anyway, and will be surprised if it gets picked up in it's current incarnation (I subbed it as a 4-part serial and not a standalone novel); otherwise, I'd probably be waiting on pins and needles to hear back. Just letting you know if you sub, it could be a while before you get an answer. They seem to be swamped.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with that digital first line? I wonder what kind of promotion they do? I'd like to see some of their titles. Not that I'm worried about the quality, I know Harlequin is a big deal, but I would like to see what kind of look they're going for. Also, I wonder about "digital first" as opposed to Carnia's "digital" with, apparently, some print, right? So is the digital first line mean they will 100% go to print? Will they be part of the regular distribution channels that Harlequin has? (e.g. pretty darn near everywhere).

Any authors here have any experience with this new imprint? It's nice that they are open to unagented submissions. I hope that lasts a while.
I read on Twitter that only books over 70,000 words will have a chance of going to print and from what I gather I don't think there is a guarantee of anything going to print.
The first three books will come out in August and these are three big name authors to launch the Cosmo line. Other lines won't release first books until October or November.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I just saw that Carina Press (digital first) does not pay advances. Does that mean the same for Harlequin Digital First too?

It also says your book might go into print. I wonder if it's the same for the digital imprint too.
I don't think they pay advances to anyone submitting through the slush pile.

Last edited:

MandyHarbin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mandyharbin.com
FYI... I finally heard back from the digital line. It was an R&R. I haven't decided if I'm going to make the revisions the editor suggested. I'm in the middle of another project right now, so I'll make the decision later. Timeline was almost 5 months from submission until receiving the R&R.

sumthinirote

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.doralynn.net
I subbed to Harlequin Intrigue this morning at 6:35 and heard back at 7:11. She was very nice and wanted to know if I'm attending RWA in Georgia. She said they're launching a new gothic line, Harlequin Shivers, and wanted to talk with me about that. Unfortunately, I can't. My dad's in hospice and I need to stay close to home. I also mentioned I wasn't sure how I felt about digital first. My dream has always been to have my book on store shelves. Still, it's Harlequin. I sure don't want to shoot myself in the foot where they're concerned. Does anyone know if it's career suicide not to meet with a senior editor at a conference if you're invited?

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
I subbed to Harlequin Intrigue this morning at 6:35 and heard back at 7:11. She was very nice and wanted to know if I'm attending RWA in Georgia. She said they're launching a new gothic line, Harlequin Shivers, and wanted to talk with me about that. Unfortunately, I can't. My dad's in hospice and I need to stay close to home. I also mentioned I wasn't sure how I felt about digital first. My dream has always been to have my book on store shelves. Still, it's Harlequin. I sure don't want to shoot myself in the foot where they're concerned. Does anyone know if it's career suicide not to meet with a senior editor at a conference if you're invited?

If your dad's in the hospice? *first off, personal-boundaries-respecting hugs for that* Nobody is going to hold that against you!

I think it would be a shame to miss out on such a meeting if your life circumstances had permitted it, but if they don't, they don't. If it had just been that you were uncertain about digital-first, that seems a reasonable uncertainty to have but meeting with an editor could give you a new perspective. But missing this won't be the end of the world.

sumthinirote

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.doralynn.net
Thanks for the personal-boundaries-respecting hug. I got a big smile outta that.

I didn't give her specifics. I just told her I had a family emergency... figured she didn't want too much personal information in a business correspondence.

I imagine convincing me to go with digital first would be easy. I'd still be sad on one level, though. Time will tell.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the personal-boundaries-respecting hug. I got a big smile outta that.

I didn't give her specifics. I just told her I had a family emergency... figured she didn't want too much personal information in a business correspondence.

I imagine convincing me to go with digital first would be easy. I'd still be sad on one level, though. Time will tell.

Yeah, TMI is always complicated. Family emergency should cover it. She knows you're not playing hooky or giving her the cold shoulder, you genuinely don't have that option.

In any event, the fact that you had their interest is a good sign! I'm sure you'll be able to find a publisher that will put your books in print if you want, given time. Or you may find digital works for a particular story and you enjoy it after all.

sumthinirote

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.doralynn.net
I think that's a good attitude. I probably could find a print publisher given time. Her e-mail does sound promising, but that may be as far as it goes.

I'm still trying to adapt to digital. I just bought my first Kindle, and I like a lot of things about it, but I dislike things too. None of my family reads e-books, and I want my family to be able to read my work. They can't if I go digital. Even my niece, an avid reader in her mid 20s, won't read e-books. She experimented with them but went back to print.

Of course, digital is big and it's here to stay and grow.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
I am totally going to check out Harlequin Shivers.
Also, aside the Oceania-oriented imprint mentioned by Gingerwoman, there's also the other Carina - Carina UK.

sumthinirote

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.doralynn.net
Now is the time to submit those gothic romances to the Shivers line at Harlequin, (digital first). The editor has passed my manuscript to the acquisitions team at Shivers, and it's only been three days since I submitted.

Last edited:

writerreader

Registered
Reaction score
Harlequin Historical Undone

I just wanted to let anyone who submitted to Harlequin Historical Undone in the last year or so to be aware that the incorrect submission email address was on the submissions page up until this week.

I submitted in September and waited seven months before pulling my manuscript.

HHU is for short novellas, 10 to 15 thousand words. The correct email address is now on the submissions page.