• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Musa Publishing

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rather telling comment on the loop today. Somebody posted that they'd shared a blog link, and somebody replied they wished more Musa authors took such initiative.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I don't recall Samhain having such a requirement.
Samhain doesn't have the requirement. The requirement for Samhain is that books be over 50,000 words in length, but I believe the sales of print books are significantly less than Samhain's ebook sales all across the board.

Last edited:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Kerry contacted me to check if I wanted my rights back for An Imperfect Wife when my contract ends at the end of November. I said I did. As far as I can tell, rights reversions are happening smoothly and professionally when contracts expire.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Interesting to hear about Penumbra. Does anyone know what that means for the published stories? I'll have to check my contract for the one they took a couple of years ago.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
It could conceivably be a good thing. We've been saying they're overextended and doing too much too soon. Maybe it's a sign they're realizing that and are simplifying.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I would get in touch with them. There isn't any information on the blog beyond the closing announcement.

Yeah, probably the best move. I'll dig out the contract this weekend and see what it says. I'm self-publishing a collection of short stories next year so it might work out (with a rewrite) as an addition to that.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Interesting to hear about Penumbra. Does anyone know what that means for the published stories? I'll have to check my contract for the one they took a couple of years ago.

The magazine closing doesn't change the contract. You'd still follow the contract terms you agreed to (at the time I signed, that was six months exclusive and noting the first publication in reprints). For any story that wasn't published, the author could wait out the required months for the rights to revert (which was eighteen months from the contract date when I signed). Though I'd hope they released anyone in that situation.

You'll obviously want to check you signed the same contract, but I'd be surprised if the contract blocked you from publishing the story after two years. That would be very non-standard for a short story contract, and I'm sure would have raised comments here.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Polenth, I've been over my contract and it's the same as yours. Looks like I can reprint my story as long as I mention it was first published in Penumbra. I'll have a read and see what I want to do with it.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I checked with Musa re my Penumbra story. I'm free to sub it somewhere else or do it myself. I'll probably add it to my collection next year.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just saw over on the Facebook page that somebody's signed an option to have their novel adapted to the big screen. She's being retained by the producer to write the screenplay. No other info, other than author and book title.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, this should be interesting. I just sent an email requesting my contract for But I Never Said I Didn't Love You! not be renewed when it expires in a couple days and the rights to Kitchen Witch be reverted due to low sales. Just a quick, short paragraph with no histrionics (which I could have resorted to, considering my mood in the whole matter, but I know when to tone it down). Will keep everybody updated.

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
Ben,

What email address did you send you reversion request to? I still have several months (aka 11-ish) before I need to request mine back but it's better to know what to do beforehand.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that all goes smoothly.

Morgan Hunter

Creativity...feel it; live it
Registered
Reaction score
Musa Response Time???

Hello All,

I submitted to Musa over a month ago and still have no reply. It shows in Delphi that Jeanne De Vita has been assigned to it, but I'm wondering what the hold-up is? I've heard from many that Musa usually has an extremely fast turnaround time. Have things changed? Should I nudge them?

My book is currently under an R&R review from another publisher, but they are being slow to reply on that as well.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

~MH~