• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Musa Publishing

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
I want to hop in & say when I saw the company pop on up facebook & investigated, I was thrilled to see who it was & hopped right in there. Even though I haven't been to AW much lately, I felt I knew them enough to trust my "baby" with them.

I got a request for a full within a day to my partial & accepted in 3. I was contacted right away by 3 different staff members & the ball is rolling.

Maybe I have spent too much effort lately getting snubbed by agents, but I am more than happy to work with a smaller press - especially when they look like the have the experience this crew does.

I'll be back with updates for sure! I expect nothing but greatness from them. :)

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
Awww...thanks! We need to do your author meeting soon so we can get each department on the same page with you and what you want for DMHOYPN and that December release date. :)

DMHOYPN :roll: That even took ME a second! LOL!

Dec? :e2thud:

You guys take caffeine through an IV or what? I talked with someone about it yesterday - I'll write ya!

Angela

Named For a Song...
Registered
Reaction score
See? This is a new press that I don't think I'd be worried about submitting to. :D

Celina has been very open and forthcoming with information about the company. She's taking the time to answer questions (and I haven't detected a hint of antagonism or annoyance, even if she's already answered it ;)), and to explain things that might seem a little confusing.

She seems to have a solid business plan and has been quite candid about their commitment to make this a long-lived company. She's also stressed the fact that they have no intentions of "biting off more than they can chew" by jumping into this blindly. By that, I'm referring to the fact that while they do eventually want to offer their books in print, they are also taking the time to carefully research their options and are taking things slowly to move toward that goal.

From reading the websites, blogs and Celina's responses here, I would feel confident submitting my work to them. You know how sometimes you're reading responses on here from new publishers and you say to yourself, "I think they just woke up one day and said, 'I'm going to start a publishing company today!'"? Not once have I felt that way. Nor have I seen a post by Celina that made me feel like she was thinking, "I'M the publisher. Suck it up and deal with it.", as she typed.

My response may not be totally relevant, but I had to share my opinion because I'm impressed with what I've seen so far. Celina, I wish you and your team the best with this! I definitely think you're on the right track. :Hug2:

Angi

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I want to hop in & say when I saw the company pop on up facebook & investigated, I was thrilled to see who it was & hopped right in there. Even though I haven't been to AW much lately, I felt I knew them enough to trust my "baby" with them.

I got a request for a full within a day to my partial & accepted in 3. I was contacted right away by 3 different staff members & the ball is rolling.

Maybe I have spent too much effort lately getting snubbed by agents, but I am more than happy to work with a smaller press - especially when they look like the have the experience this crew does.

I'll be back with updates for sure! I expect nothing but greatness from them. :)

pfffft.... getting snubbed by agents is so last year.

I am excited about the Penumbra... I have a fantasy baseball short.... Getting ready to sub to the AW spec fic antho has me all full of submitting mojo.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Celina- thanks for taking the time to answer all our questions particularly when you are so busy- I have one more question if you don't mind-
I have what I consider a YA, but it is told from the MC adult voice- most of the story is told in first person from his 14 year old self- I have been told it isn't YA from some and that it is from others- I know this is hard to judge without seeing the MS, but I don't want to waste your time if this isn't something you wouldn't want to see.
The story parallels the MC's life when he was 14 to his adopted son's life now.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Sounds to me that it should be considered a contemporary fiction rather than a YA, but that's just from our preferred voice for YA fiction. Seems to me that if I were looking at that MS officially, I'd send it to our YA head editor to see if it would fit in her line, and if not then I'd take a look at it for contemp fiction.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you- so query it as YA and if you are interested you'll place it where it fits- yes?

JohnAtPlotForge

Ask me about plot. I'm the best.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.PlotForge.com
Got a request for a full MS from Urania the other day. From Matt Teel. Don't know anything about him but hey, I don't know anything about anyone. As long as I've been hacking at this you'd think I'd know all the names, but I mostly I make up names as I go along. That's sort of what we fiction writers do. Anyone know anything about Matt? Mscelina, you seem to have a pretty good handle on things over there.

Looking forward to helping you guys take over the world one book at a time.

John

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I know a lot about Matt. He works for me. I hired him to head up the Urania speculative fiction before we even opened for submissions--and since I am a spec fic writer, that should say a lot. Matt is a PhD, and also a spec fic writer and, to be quite honest, has a much better feel for true science fiction than I do which is why I offered him Urania. Good writer, good editor and a genuinely nice guy.

The urge to keep Urania for myself was pretty strong, I'll admit, but I could not have entrusted the imprint to a person who wasn't outstanding in all the important ways for our company or our writers. And, frankly, he's tough where he needs to be, which I think is a good thing for the imprint as a whole.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all of you. Hopefully that foot doesn't get run over by a train, but I'm pleased with where we are. Our database went live today, we're getting manuscripts to our interior book designer, submissions are great, the first issue of our magazine is (I think) outstanding and aside from gasping in horror when I open the submissions inboxes, we're still staying up to speed, handling most Musa submissions within a week. At Penumbra, if you aren't rejected within a week, that means you've made it to a higher level of consideration for each issue. Overall, especially now that we're launching with the entire Aurora backlist available, I'm quite impressed with our team, the quality of submissions, and where we're at on our pre-launch schedule.

And I got it, tri. Thanks!

JohnAtPlotForge

Ask me about plot. I'm the best.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.PlotForge.com
Matt is a PhD, and also a spec fic writer and, to be quite honest, has a much better feel for true science fiction than I do which is why I offered him Urania. Good writer, good editor and a genuinely nice guy.

Way cool, I'm an academic myself - or used to be. What's his Ph.D. in? I'm technical but amazingly, can actually write. I know like, zero physicists who can write and only one or two who read. I'm just finishing up the story arc/synopses I promised Matt to go along with the MS and should have it in the email tomorrow. Would be cool to work with you guys. You're the future of this crazy, wonderful, frustrating, ecstatic business.

John Brewer

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
All the Musa books will be released on all these major available formats-

Open eBook (ePub) is the recommended choice for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad users. You can download Stanza, which will allow you to reach eBooks on your desktop (MAC or PC), iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad here. We also recommend ePub for all Android users in conjunction with Aldiko. This format also is recommended for the Nook and all Sony Readers.

Adobe Acrobat (PDF) is the recommended choice for Macintosh, Windows PC, Sony Reader, or Windows Tablet. You can download Adobe Reader here

MS Reader (LIT) is the recommended choice for Pocket PC or if you want to read on both your Windows PC and Pocket PC. You can download MS Reader here

HTML is the recommended choice for Linux/Unix Computer, Franklin E-Bookman, eBookwise-1150, or Hiebook readers.

Mobipocket (PRC) is the recommended choice for Kindle, Windows CE, Handheld PC, Palm OS device, Pocket PC or an EPOC device. You can download Mobipocket here.

Palm DOC/iSolo (PDB) is the recommended choice for all devices that are Palm compatible or eReader users.

Musa books will be available at our site, as well as Amazon (including the international Amazon sites for English-written books), Fictionwise, Smashwords, Barnes and Noble, the Apple iBookstore, Sony, Kobo, Diesel, Lexcycle, Stanza, Alkido, Word-Player and Android), Bookstrand, ARE, Omnilit and a few other smaller sites. These are the major ones. Your book will be uploaded to these sites at the same time as to the Musa site. For some it may take a few days or even a week to be available for purchase there.

Last edited: