• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Curiosity Quills Press

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I just named some -- Entangled (if you have romance) and Month9. I think M9B is only spec fic, but they also have the Swoon imprint which is Romance? Not sure. But Georgia takes her small press to BEA, which not many do. They get reviewed in PW.

I'd submit there any day, along with CQ. Strange Chem was one until they went away :(. I'd also check out LEAP books now that Shannon Delany has taken it over. But that may be only YA books.

hlynn117

Registered
Reaction score
I had a lengthy process querying my YA novel God's Play to agents. I got multiple requests for full manuscripts, an R&R, but ultimately no bites. I started to look at several small presses when I realized the agent thing wasn't going to work out and ended up picking CQ to publish the book. A trusted friend met them at a major US convention and said they liked their promotion strategy and that they were very professional, too. That, by the way, is the opinion I've walked away with after my dealings with them, too. Their authors are happy, the cover quality is excellent (I'm very happy with mine), and the editing process is thorough. I'm at the point of planning the marketing for the book release and will update how this goes.

Edit: I'd also like to note that they've secured several of their authors contracts with Audible, which is a huge deal. The number of books they're publishing per month is reasonable, btw, so it's not an author mill.

Last edited:

JinxVelox

Registered
Reaction score
I had a lengthy process querying my YA novel God's Play to agents. I got multiple requests for full manuscripts, an R&R, but ultimately no bites. I started to look at several small presses when I realized the agent thing wasn't going to work out and ended up picking CQ to publish the book. A trusted friend met them at a major US convention and said they liked their promotion strategy and that they were very professional, too. That, by the way, is the opinion I've walked away with after my dealings with them, too. Their authors are happy, the cover quality is excellent (I'm very happy with mine), and the editting process is thorough. I'm at the point of planning the marketting for the book release and will update how this goes!

I went through the same thing with "The Chronos Clock" - lots of agent requests and nibbles; no bites. Alas, the smaller press (out of three who extended offers of publication) whose offer I accepted did not work out well for me.

Please do let us know how things go with CQ. We seem to be seeing many happy authors with them.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Weeellll....

I haven't made the 'official' announcement yet, but we've got permission so I guess I can spill here.

My agent re-sold my manuscript to CQP! If you've read upstream, I had an offer from them just before I signed with my agent. We went with Strange Chem, but after they folded, we mutually agreed to see if CQ was still interested. And they were. We agree it's a generous contract and they seem to be going places. I adore their covers.

Onward and upward! I've signed all the paperwork and now just waiting for an editor. I'll keep you updated!

J.B.Kantt

Debut Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jbkantt.blogspot.com
Weeellll....

I haven't made the 'official' announcement yet, but we've got permission so I guess I can spill here.

My agent re-sold my manuscript to CQP! If you've read upstream, I had an offer from them just before I signed with my agent. We went with Strange Chem, but after they folded, we mutually agreed to see if CQ was still interested. And they were. We agree it's a generous contract and they seem to be going places. I adore their covers.

Onward and upward! I've signed all the paperwork and now just waiting for an editor. I'll keep you updated!

Congratulations, Christine!!! :partyguy::hooray::banana::TheWave:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Weeellll....

This is fantastic news! Congrats! :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
That's so exciting, Christine. Congrats!

DrFaerieGodmother

Villainy is merely an issue of POV.
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Christine!

I was so sad about the folding of SC, especially for the debut writers. But it's great you're with CQP. As it happens, I just signed with them, too!

Congratulations again! I'm so glad your book found another home!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I have to admit, in all fairness, that the apparent changes at CQ make me happy. I'm still waiting to see how the newest round of books turns out, but this is a positive development.

One of the broader issues about publishers, agents, etc. on the B&BC forum is that most of us readers/authors *want* to find great new publishers. We're delighted when we do. Getting there takes some healthy skepticism.

Congrats, Hlynn and Christine N. Keep us posted, please.

ManOfTongues

Coffee, please.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just thought I'd pop in regarding my post that I made in August about my journey with CQ. Things are going fantastically, and I can assure ANYONE who is considering this company that CQ is legit. Like, really really legit. One of my fellow authors was recently in Huffington Post and the books on this company are definitely selling. Best of all, on top of a re-launch of their website, CQ has some really exciting things happening in the year ahead. I can't go into detail, but trust me, they are things that all authors hope for.

As for me, I'm just finishing round two edits with my editor. She is fantastic and everything you'd expect from a real editor -- empathetic, but ultimately she kicks my butt (and my manuscript) into shape when I need it. I cannot tell you how good of an experience I've had so far, and I don't even have a release date yet (but they're thinking late winter 2014 -- watch out world!)

In any case, I recommend keeping these guys in mind in your submission process. Don't write them off because of a perceived shaky beginning two years ago. They're great.

Last edited:

RS007

Registered
Reaction score
Contract time?

Can those of you under contract with CQ share what time it took CQ to send you the contract? They told me they wanted to publish my book and sent me the template of their regular contract to look over. I've done that and then spoke to their acquisition editor on the phone. She cleared up all my questions and was very nice. After that conversation I got back to them within two days and said that yes, I'd like to go with them. She sounded very happy and said they'd be sending me the contract.

A week has passed and there is nothing. I followed up with her a couple of times and got no reply. Is that normal? Or should I be getting concerned?

They've been nothing but professional in their dealings with me up until now and I am not sure if the lack of communication and the absence of contract a week later is something to worry about or not?

Any advice/sharing of experience is greatly appreciated!

RS007

Registered
Reaction score
Give it a couple more weeks, maybe. She's probably really busy right now. Breathe, and work on another mms.

Thank you - breathing is really important. :) Right after posting this message, got a note from them. So I guess I should have posted earlier.
icon12.gif

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
It took a little bit. My agent and I wanted a few changes, and the acquiring editor had to get them through the people above her, and then it was yes or no, and then making the changes and getting a new contract sent.

Overall took about a month for all that. Or so.

RS007

Registered
Reaction score
It took a little bit. My agent and I wanted a few changes, and the acquiring editor had to get them through the people above her, and then it was yes or no, and then making the changes and getting a new contract sent.

Overall took about a month for all that. Or so.

Thanks, Christine!

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Just noticed Curiosity Quills revamping some of their old covers (it was the DARKNESS WATCHING revamps that caught my attention, Emma L Adams is a friend :)) and I'm really, really digging the direction Curiosity Quills are going in. Those are really nice covers! So good to see them focusing on their backlist books as well as upcoming ones.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a manuscript to them last week. I really like their author community, their covers are great and having read a few of their titles, I have to say well-editted.

Now I'm just hoping they like my work! And also, that they actually got it, because when I sent my submission, no confirmation page loaded on the online form. Is that normal?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Alison Heller tells me she's taking 3-4 weeks on reading fulls. She has a revised version of a novel of mine she looked at last March.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I'm still doing well with CQP. We've finished edits, and now waiting for a cover, which I expect any day now. Then it will be getting everything ready for release, sometime in late Spring. So we'll be doing promo and getting organized over the next few months.

Can. Not. Wait. I'll have TWO releases this spring :)

JaneD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
janedougherty.wordpress.com
I had a rather strange experience with CQP. I queried them in August and when we got into the fourth month, I nudged. It had been so long I couldn't remember what I'd sent them and referred to 'the manuscript' in my nudge. Their reply came the next day, a kind and polite rejection with a little note telling me why they were turning it down along with a very general list of the strengths and weaknesses of the story and the writing. Left me rather non-plussed as I'd only sent in a 20+ page sample. It has left me with the nagging doubt that anybody actually read the query.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I had a rather strange experience with CQP. I queried them in August and when we got into the fourth month, I nudged. It had been so long I couldn't remember what I'd sent them and referred to 'the manuscript' in my nudge. Their reply came the next day, a kind and polite rejection with a little note telling me why they were turning it down along with a very general list of the strengths and weaknesses of the story and the writing. Left me rather non-plussed as I'd only sent in a 20+ page sample. It has left me with the nagging doubt that anybody actually read the query.

Some things are obvious weaknesses even in a fairly short sample. Chances are you also received a modified form rejection which would have some individual feedback, plus the general form letter which might or might not apply as thoroughly to your specific project.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Editors and agents don't send lists of strengths and weaknesses unless they've read at least part of the story. It's much easier to send a form rejection. They're certainly not going to spend their time making up a list of strengths and weakness for something they haven't read.

Last edited: