• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Murray's Literary Service (formerly Murray's Literary Agency) (Eunice Murray)

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Unbelievable!

Yet more details have been added:

The book list was created to show some of the books we helped get published, and to share some of our current books we are working on at this time. The purpose of the list is to show the type of genre that we accept. If you have a questions or have a book that you need help with contact us at
[email protected]

Jockey Ridge Murder.....Chicago Press
I was unable to identify a Chicago Press.

For Sale In Palm Spring....Ocotillo Books.
Ocotillo Books is owned by Albert Simon, which makes him self-published.

The Spy of David.....Strategic Media Books

Agent War....Chicago Press
See above

Blood Kin.....Penguin Group
WTF?! I'll say that again in bigger letters...WTF?! Penguin publishes two novels with this title, one by M J Scott and the other by Ceridwen Dovey. It took me all of two minutes to find out that Scott's agent is Miriam Kriss of the Irene Goodman Literary Agency, whilst Dovey is represented by Sarah Chalfant of the Wylie Agency. This has to be the most outrageous lie I've ever heard from a pseudo-agent.
http://murrayliteraryservice.blogspot.co.uk/p/book-listing.html

The list continues with "Current Books are in process ( Not the complete list)", which, insofar as it means anything, sounds as if it should mean "books I'm still working on"; yet it includes the same self-pubbed books mentioned in previous posts.

More gems from Ms Murray:

Editing Done For Success is never having to look back knowing that you are ready to take on the publishers full force ahead. Join us so that you can move full force ahead.

Most writers don't realize that editing is one of the most stressful part of writing, nor do they know when to stop editing.

Sadly, some editors don't know where to start.
https://plus.google.com/+MurrayliteraryserviceBlogspot/posts

From another of her blogs:

We know that you want jewelry that will last, and authentic and for the most part one of a kind. This is the place to shop, and we guarantee the jewelry will last for generations. We even repair all jewelry free of charge if anything break, just send it back and we will repair it and ship it back to you. You can go wrong with Shaw Jewelry Studio.
http://shawjewelrystudio.blogspot.co.uk/

Not half as wrong as you can go by entrusting Ms Murray with your literary work.

Last edited:

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
I can't help it. I'm laughing. I know, I know, "respect your fellow writer," but DAMN. This woman has combined vapidity, braggadocio, untruths, and plain old illiteracy into something that's almost brilliant in its awfulness. I stand amazed. Horrified, yet amazed.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean. Were it not for the fact that Murray clearly has managed to sucker clueless novices into using her services I'd dismiss her as a harmless crackpot, but there's something horribly fascinating about ineptitude on this scale.

One of the members of Murray's South Florida Writers and Other group is a fairly successful self-published author whose book covers looked weirdly familiar. Then it hit me - I'd seen them a few days ago on Firefly and Wisp's Facebook, where they appeared on a banner advertising an interview with, amongst others, a F&W author.

Confession time: I've ordered a copy of Murray's book The Death of Lisa from Amazon. It had no ranking so I presumably I'm the first person to do so in ten years.

Oh, and extra points for your use of the word 'braggadocio'! :Thumbs:

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
How could I have missed another shameless lie on Murray's blog?

I've just noticed that two book covers are depicted under the heading 'Current Books Publish'. One of them is our old friend For Sale in Palm Springs, Albert Simon's self-pubbed novel, but the other is Ted Dekker's Boneman's Daughters. Dekker, a bestselling author of Christian fiction, is in fact represented by Kevin Kaiser of Creative Trust. I'm sure Mr Dekker would be astonished to learn that his agent is a paralegal/herbalist/Mary Kay representative based in Fort Lauderdale.

Edited to read: Murray must have discovered the most recent posts on this thread because she's removed Blood Kin from her book list. It's only a matter of time before Boneman's Daughters vanishes into the aether, so for your delectation and delight I present the following screencaps:

eunicebloodkin_zps9b31f1d8.jpg

eunicebookcovers_zpsd4931c7c.jpg

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Murray's blog is fractally weird.

I don't know where The Art of Editing a Manuscript on her home page originally came from but it refers to school essays or academic papers, not fiction. She's tried to hide its origins, adding her own characteristic poor grammar and misspellings in the process:

Subject Matter
1. Ensure that everything that the assignment needs has been completed.
2. Ensure that all the claims made in the papare are accurate according to the type of genre you are writing.
3. Ensure that all the claims are consistent and are supported.
4. Clarify your story.
5. Ensure that all the data in your story line provided is significant.

My favourite bit:

Grammar and Misspell Words
1. Use grammar that fit your story line, but make sure your readers know where you are going.
2. Use proper grammar
3. Try to eliminate as many misspell words as you can.

This baffled me for quite some time:

In the past years, we have assisted many writers with the common issues of formatting, grammar, pronunciation, and more.

'Pronunciation'? Unless we're talking about audiobooks why would pronunciation matter? Then I had a 'eureka!' moment - she means punctuation.

She's also lifted the bare bones of the Association of Authors' Representatives FAQ from their website and fiddled about with it a bit. Ms Murray seems to hold the AAR in high regard:

AAR Cannon of Ethics
Murray's Literary Agency is not yet a member of AAR, but we do live and work by their Cannon of Ethics set forth. Trust and honesty is the only thing that will make an author and agent relationship work for both parties to win.
http://murrayliteraryservice.blogspot.co.uk/

Editorial Rate and Service and Testimonials (yes, she corrected the spelling of that word but not the titles of some of the books she represents) are 'coming soon'. My advice? Don't bother. Ms Murray, if you're reading this I would strongly advise you to stop misrepresenting yourself as an agent/editor, refund any money you've taken from would-be authors and take down your writing-related websites.

Last edited:

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. There's a part of me that wonders if English is somehow not her first language? Using the wrong long word (pronunciation for punctuation) is something I do all the time when I'm trying to speak Russian. (Badly.) And I've heard my ESL students do it too.

Regardless of the reason, she's definitely not someone I'd pay to edit or "agent."

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
More helpful advice from Eunice:

Writing a successful fiction novel means you need strong characters that the readers will love, a great plot that will create big obstacles for your beloved character, and then help him or her overcome the obstacles in a big way, because you know we are cheering our hero on to the finish line.
https://plus.google.com/+MurrayliteraryserviceBlogspot/posts

Fiction novel.

Fiction novel.

Edited to add: I've just heard from a dissatisfied client of Ms Murray's who doesn't think she's sending his work to anyone. Let's hope he joins the discussion!

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Bryon!

A brief reminder: Bryon is the author of two self-published books currently featured in Murray's book list. Oddly enough, his surname is very similar to that of Ted Dekker, the cover of whose novel Boneman's Daughter is also featured on Murray's blog. I can't decide if this is a deliberate attempt by Murray to cause confusion or an unbelievably careless mistake on her part...

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Bryon, has Murray ever given you a list of publishers to whom she's supposedly sent your manuscripts? And what about the fact that your books, like quite a few others on her list, have already been self-published?

As far as editing's concerned I think it's obvious from her various blogs that she shouldn't be allowed anywhere near anyone else's work!

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Would you mind sharing one of these notices with us? I'd love to know which publishers Murray thinks would be likely to accept fiction that has already been self-published. Some of the publishers named on her blog are so obscure Google can't find them, assuming of course that they even exist.

I see that Murray has just removed the list of published books from her blog. It will be interesting to see the 'new updated list coming soon'.

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Here are some from the last three months.
8/2013
Black Ace Books
Fecther Books

9/2013
Bella Books
Atoms Books

10/19/13
Cragi Press
Flashot Publication

She also told me she submitted to Titan Books!

Black Ace Books: "We are unable, for the time being, to consider first novels by unknown authors. ...we can't consider submissions from any new authors until the pressure eases."

Fecther Books: I can't find a publisher with this name.

Bella Books: "Bella Books is the premiere publisher of vibrant and irresistible fiction for and about lesbians. From heart-pounding romance to mystery, erotica and thriller, Bella Books celebrate the girl-next-door, the best friend, the love of our life and the superwoman that exists in all of us."

Atoms Books: "Atom is the YA and children's imprint of Little, Brown Book Group. Founded in 2002 as a sister imprint to Orbit, the science fiction and fantasy imprint, Atom has since become an independent imprint focused on publishing the best in mainstream and supernatural YA and children's fiction."

Cragi Press: I can't find a publisher with this name.

Flashot Publication: I can't find a publisher with this name.

Titan Books: "Our range of originated fiction continues to grow, with official novelisations of films such as Terminator Salvation released in 2009, along with ongoing series of original novels based on TV shows such as Primeval. In 2010 we took over the Supernatural original fiction licence, with 3 brand-new titles scheduled, and we are launching a brand new fantasy fiction series based on the popular computer game, Runescape, in fall 10. We also launched an ongoing reissue crime & mystery series in fall 09: The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. In the UK we also publish a range of licensed fiction titles, including Star Wars, Iron Man, Transformers, Dragon Age, God of War, Elder Scrolls, Bioshock and many more."

I'm assuming that the three of those that I can't find have typos in their names. If you made the typos, maybe you could let us know the actual names. If Ms Murray made them, well, heaven only knows which publishers she actually meant.

I'd be curious to know how your novel qualifies as "not from a first-time, unknown author; AND as lesbian mystery, erotica, or thriller; AND as mainstream or supernatural YA or children's fiction; AND as licensed fiction or novelisation" all at the same time.

Last edited:

Bryon

Gurgling from the bottom!
Registered
Reaction score
A cold dark place, where Nor'easters hit.
Website
bryondecker.wix.com
Believe me, I've already Googled all these and even laughed. I copied and pasted the publisher's names from the emails she sent. I have no lesbian mystery, erotica in either of my books, Dear Mr. Killer or The Strans Curse. As for all the rest I must be quite the writer.

Albert_Simon

Writing for OcotilloBooks.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.OcotilloBooks.com
Murray's Literary Services is a SCAM

I have written this woman and asked her to remove my book from her page. I have no association with her, she doesn't represent me or my books. I self publish using SmashWords and Kindle and do not use an agent. (Although if you want to see my stack of agent rejection letters, I am happy to share...)

Whatever you do, do not send this person any money. If she doesn't cease and desist I will take legal action against her. (Maybe then she will go away.)

Albert Simon.

Last edited:

Albert_Simon

Writing for OcotilloBooks.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.OcotilloBooks.com
Three threatening emails later...

My representative sent three emails. Each escalating the threat - she finally removed all references and images of my books. We asked for an apology on her site - she never admitted any wrongdoing - only kept referring to a misunderstanding, and confusion surrounding the listing. Here's her "public apology":

I do apologize for any confusion on Mr. Simon behalf and his representative. Th book has been removed, and I will not put it back on befause of the confusion.

Thank you.

Eunice Murray

------------------------------
Please be vigilant who you retain as an agent. If you go the self publishing route - like I have - you can make good money. Between Apple, Amazon and Barnes & Noble, I sell more than 50,000 ebooks per year.

Happy writing!

Albert Simon

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Believe me, I've already Googled all these and even laughed. I copied and pasted the publisher's names from the emails she sent. I have no lesbian mystery, erotica in either of my books, Dear Mr. Killer or The Strans Curse. As for all the rest I must be quite the writer.

Bryon, I'm terribly sorry. I just re-read my post, and I realise now that it sounds like I was snarking at you and your manuscript, which I absolutely was not. So let me clarify:

I was pretty sure that the typos weren't yours. :)

Also, more importantly, the point I was trying to make (and executed very poorly) was that any alleged agent who sent the same manuscript to all four of those publishers isn't a legitimate agent, since it's highly unlikely that a single manuscript could be suitable for all four.

That is, the list you provided is just more proof of Ms Murray's ineptitude. She's clearly just splattering manuscripts around, with even less care than an author would take on their own.

I cringe to think about how she would negotiate a contract if a publisher actually offered on a manuscript she submitted.

I'm very sorry that it sounded as if I were slamming you and your work.