• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Soaring Eagle Books / Eagle's Branch Books (Penelope "Penny" Fletcher)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
More on Penny Fletcher:

According to her bio, she "wrote a trilogy (The Friendly Sex Series): Friendly Sex; Just Friends & From Friendship to Fire, for Secret Cravings Publishing under the name Indigo Fantasia". Websearching on her pen name turns up a number of references, but the books all appear to be out of circulation; at any rate, none seem to be listed on any retailers' websites. (Remember, she's "no longer hostage to any agent or publisher.")

Indigo Fantasia has a Facebook page. So does Penny Fletcher. Check out Indigo pretending Penny is a separate person. Check out Penny returning the favor!

- Victoria

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
When I emailed Lauren Hackenberry to ask for more info about her book-related websites she told me that she sold them "a while ago", through Flippa, to a man named Mathew Marcus.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I can't see any signs of life on Hackenberry's sites after February this year.

Have I got things straight: Fletcher's book Trial by Fire was released on 21st March this year. Despite the problems she'd had with Atlantic Book Review she tried to use their services to promote Gen Griffin's Feeding Gators, released on 29th May.

What's wrong with this picture?

Oh, and Mathew Marcus' email address - or at least the version of it given to me by Lauren Hackenberry - doesn't exist.

Last edited:

GenGriffin

Brutally Honest; No Filter
Registered
Reaction score
I can't see any signs of life on Hackenberry's sites after February this year.

Have I got things straight: Fletcher's book Trial by Fire was released on 21st March this year. Despite the problems she'd had with Atlantic Book Review she tried to use their services to promote Gen Griffin's Feeding Gators, released on 29th May.

What's wrong with this picture?

Oh, and Mathew Marcus' email address - or at least the version of it given to me by Lauren Hackenberry - doesn't exist.

Very valid point. And a very good question.

I'll be honest, the failed review is one of the more minor issues that I've had with Penny Fletcher and Soaring Eagle Books.

I've been going through them, one-by-one, on my blog.

"Bluedog" says
Penny Fletcher does not have a misleading bone in her body and these attacks are totally unwarranted. The "truth" always comes out in the end and the righteous prevail. Believe the truth

I'd like to invite y'all to look at this post on my blog and make up your own minds about whether or not Penny would mislead an author about sales.

GenGriffin

Registered
Reaction score
I've now seen documentation of much of what Gen described in her initial post--so, neither fabrication nor libelous. I've also seen a Soaring Eagle contract--a poorly written, unprofessional document with the one saving grace of extending for only three years.

"Hackenberry" rings a bell for me, but I can't figure out why--I checked my records and I don't have any complaints or questions.

- Victoria

Also, thank you for taking the time to look through all of those Victoria. I greatly appreciate your time as well as that of everyone else on this thread.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Publishers! Are your books simply crying out to be made into blockbuster movies? Are you looking for producers desperate to throw their money in your direction?

There's only one thing to do - join "Movie Producers", a moribund Facebook group with four members, and wait for the offers to flood in!

Penny Fletcher
30 October at 23:47
Looking for producers for our first three books at SOARING EAGLE BOOKS- you won't believe how good they are until you see them. Go to www.soaringeaglebooks.com and check them out. TRIAL by FIRE- RECALL and FEEDING GATORS. Hot stuff!

Penny Fletcher OK Authors, get on this site and promo these two of your as much as you want to. This is where the producers go.
30 October at 23:48
https://www.facebook.com/groups/284667031597547/

There's something horribly fascinating about cluelessness on this scale.

More shoddy editing by Soaring Eagle Books:

The carpet was a small weave that barely covered my knees and shins if I were to prostate myself upon it to beg Ishtar my most recent desire.

*winces*

Last edited:

GenGriffin

Registered
Reaction score
Publishers! Are your books simply crying out to be made into blockbuster movies? Are you looking for producers desperate to throw their money in your direction?

There's only one thing to do - join "Movie Producers", a moribund Facebook group with four members, and wait for the offers to flood in!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/284667031597547/

And yet she accuses me of lying and being "libelous" when I say that I am less than satisfied with her marketing efforts and promotions for Feeding Gators.

In other news, she just sent out an email announcing that she is only going to be doing Soaring Eagle Books business from her [email protected] email address.

I suppose she's trying to be more professional now?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com

That's amusing, because "moving picture rights" are the only ones that Soaring Eagle's contract doesn't claim.

- Victoria

GenGriffin

Registered
Reaction score
That's amusing, because "moving picture rights" are the only ones that Soaring Eagle's contract doesn't claim.

- Victoria

Haha, you know, that never even occurred to me. You're right. She doesn't have motion picture rights.

Bluedog

Registered
Reaction score
Lies ,Misconception and Sad Sad people

Some people just go on lying and have so much pent up frustration they will say anything to make themselves feel better. The problem is you will be eaten up by your own lies. Your karma will get you. You blame other people for your own inadequacies and have nothing better to do than wine like a child who didn't get his way. Your lies and pent up hatred is misplaced and you would be better off working on yourself than spreading lies about Soaring Eagle. YOU KNOW DAMN WELL THESE ARE LIES !!!!!! Grow up,you SHOULD BE EMBARRASSED. This will not accomplish anything. I personally will not read anymore of your nonsense. I have seen the proof of your lies,maybe that should be up here,because you can't prove what doesn't exist. What a waste of energy,it won't help anyone.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Some people just go on lying and have so much pent up frustration they will say anything to make themselves feel better. The problem is you will be eaten up by your own lies. Your karma will get you. You blame other people for your own inadequacies and have nothing better to do than wine like a child who didn't get his way. Your lies and pent up hatred is misplaced and you would be better off working on yourself than spreading lies about Soaring Eagle. YOU KNOW DAMN WELL THESE ARE LIES !!!!!! Grow up,you SHOULD BE EMBARRASSED. This will not accomplish anything. I personally will not read anymore of your nonsense. I have seen the proof of your lies,maybe that should be up here,because you can't prove what doesn't exist. What a waste of energy,it won't help anyone.

Hello, Bluedog. Welcome to AW. Could you point out specifically where Gen Griffin has lied and correct the misconceptions.

GenGriffin

Registered
Reaction score

Wow. Just wow.

ETA: I am fairly certain (though not 100% so don't accuse me of libel if I am incorrect, this is only my opinion) that bluedog is Penny Fletcher and if it isn't her then it may possibly be her boyfriend Mark posting for her.

Last edited:

Bluedog

Registered
Reaction score
Its getting deep here

That has nothing to do with the lies ,the contract is deliberately friendly. This is nothing more than sour grapes. My God ,you people will stoop to to anything,don't you have something more constructive to do? Your negativity will consume you and opinions are just that. Your all laughable .

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
That has nothing to do with the lies ,the contract is deliberately friendly. This is nothing more than sour grapes. My God ,you people will stoop to to anything,don't you have something more constructive to do? Your negativity will consume you and opinions are just that. Your all laughable .

So there are no lies? I just want to be clear on this.

ETA: Here's an opportunity to set the record straight.

Last edited:

GenGriffin

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, normally I don't nitpick posts, but this is actually funny.

Considering that it's coming from (I'm ALMOST certain here) my editor.....sigh. No wonder my book has errors.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Thank you, Helix. Ms. Fletcher's post is a sight to behold:

I have been accused of being a fee-for-service publisher by someone I chose to publish at my own expense! The 52 great authors, including John Grisham, Mark Twain, and Stephen King who started by paying to publish would not think this such a terrible path.
You see, I admit I am a fee-for-service publisher.
So someone called her a fee-for-service publisher, and she admits to being a fee-for-service publisher. Even if she published the person at her own expense, what does that have to do with it? That person told the truth about her. If it's a good thing to pay for publication, why get so worked up?

And she spouts the usual nonsense about famous authors who paid to be published. Carrie was first published by Doubleday, who paid King an advance. Five seconds on Wikipedia could have shown her that.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com

Bluedog, can you tell us what parts of the contract (which apparently you have access to) you feel are specifically friendly to authors?

GenGriffin

Registered
Reaction score
But one of my authors took this as a breach of contract and is writing Blogs and Facebook posts and other posts all around the Internet, saying I am a fake and a huckster. She- an “experienced” author of two years, is trying desperately to discredit all my hard work; which I doubt can be done considering the (approximate) 250 endorsements I have on Linked-In from former and present clients; people I have written for and about; and all the goodwill generated throughout my years in the writing business.
I am sorry for this person. I am sorry she does not understand what it is to behave like a professional. Yes, it hurt for a minute or two to realize a knife had been thrust into my back when I first read this person’s posts, but I refuse to stoop to her level and refute them.

There is a lot of drivel in that post, but the part that interests me is the one I've quoted here.

I don't ever recall saying, in any of my posts, anywhere, that she was a fake or a huckster. Has anyone else seen me call her a fake or a huckster? I'm certain I haven't.

I have reviewed her services. I have shared my personal experiences with her. I have shared her actions. I have said that I want to warn others of my experiences so that they can make their own decisions.

I find it amusing that the woman who sent me a post it note as an earnings statement says I don't know how to behave like a professional.

Is this professional? Not exactly, but she ignored all my professional and polite attempts to resolve this issue. I tried to work with her and work things out well before I reached out to others about my experiences.

Helix offered "bluedog" the opportunity to share her side of the story - resulting in Penny's monologue post on her own blog. The part that says the most to me is the last line I quoted above. She sees my posts and she refuses to refute them.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help me much because she is still refusing to return the rights to my novel or account for my sales.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW:

Penny Fletcher > Blue Dog Mobile Marketing
Check out my new book TRIAL BY FIRE published by SOARING EAGLE BOOKS on my personal page, and soon to be on the SOARING EAGLE page. Like every other choice made by this new publishing company, SOARING EAGLE BOOKS believes mobile marketing is a big part of publishing's wave of the future. Our slogan- "Joining authors & readers in a whole new way!" We think Blue Dog is the best choice not only now- but in the years to come.
Photos of Blue Dog Mobile Marketing
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...id=1242871933&set=o.387112994696947&source=46

Blue Dog Mobile Marketing is owned by Mark Rauser, who also contributed a 5-star Amazon review of Trial by Fire written in exactly the same style as some of BlueDog's posts here:

Your going to like this book
By Mark Rauser on May 23, 2014
Format: Kindle Edition
Men and woman alike will love this book ,its more government secrets and cover up. I will be very surprised if this doesn't get made into a major movie. This book has got it all. Well written and sexy, full of intrigue.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0991273206/?tag=absowrit-20

So far we've discovered that the "marketing" offered by Soaring Eagle consists of spamming by email, sending out press releases that aren't even acknowledged, posting on laughably irrelevant social media sites and handing out flyers and bookmarks. Combine that with authors having to buy boxes of their own books (which are wrongly addressed and go astray in the mail), the introduction of errors that weren't in the author's final draft and book signings that don't happen...what does this remind you of?

All together now - PublishAmerica!

The problems with Soaring Eagle are yet another reminder that
years of experience in magazine and newspaper publishing don't count for a great deal when it comes to book publishing.

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Considering that it's coming from (I'm ALMOST certain here) my editor.....sigh. No wonder my book has errors.

Soaring Eagle's "Editor-in-Chief" is retired journalist Liz Bleau, who gets an editing credit in all three of the company's books.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/liz-bleau/14/36a/828

Fletcher's own book, from what I've read of it via the Look Inside feature, has fared pretty well at her hands, but Feeding Gators and the third Soaring Eagle book clearly have editorial problems.

As for Fletcher's nonsense about famous self-published authors, I know we've been through this over and over again but here are the facts:

John Grisham did NOT self-publish. His first book, A Time to Kill, was picked up by the small commercial publisher Wynwood Press. When the company went under Grisham bought the unsold copies of his book and sold them himself, hence the self-pubbing confusion.

Mark Twain DID self-publish Huckleberry Finn, but he was already one of the most famous authors in America thanks to Tom Sawyer and The Prince and the Pauper.

Stephen King? Really?

Technically true, but also misleading – Stephen King, his brother, David, and best friend, Chris Chesley established a small press called Triad and Gaslight Books, in 1963. This small press published a collection of King’s short stories, and a two part book. However, King did not find success as an author until Carrie was purchased by Doubleday in 1973. King says, in an interview, that he followed the traditional publishing process and “got the usual rejection slips”, until Carrie was picked up. There is no indication that King’s self-published work had anything to do with his later success as a novelist.
http://iwassociation.com/?p=784

Last edited: