Not open for further replies.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Apparently the cut off is 32; then someone deletes your bday :e2cry:

Ok Fen, I'm sorry. Let's put the calendar back together and find another way to get RA's game.

As to the the other point, my mother stills gives me presents, I am 42. Also, my grandmother still gives my mother presents and my mother is in her 60's. I am certain that if I said to my gran or my mother "Don't bother with a present" they would give me very short shrift indeed.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Morning :Sun:

I need to go and sort out wooden logs today. Oh the excitement of a real fire. It comes with real things like log storage and cleaning ash. I can see why they do that thing on tv with the fake fire every year.

:Coffee:

Thank you to everyone for your AtCT comments. I'm glad you liked it. I have a wicked idea for the next part *cue evil laughter*

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cheers Ali. I missed my birth month so much. ;)

I am up too early but got 8 hrs of sleep. I shall lie here till sunrise and prolly sleep again.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Went and saw looper today. It was interesting, and the acting was really good, but...

I didn't use to have a problem watching violent movies, but I just can't do it anymore. I've dealt too much with the human implications of pain and violence to actually want to see it and to have it register.

I know they say my generation is becoming desensitised to violence, but given that I was not alone in my reaction, I'd modified that to "desensitised to media violence"

That and reality are always going to be different, no matter how accurate the portrayal.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Went and saw looper today. It was interesting, and the acting was really good, but...

I didn't use to have a problem watching violent movies, but I just can't do it anymore. I've dealt too much with the human implications of pain and violence to actually want to see it and to have it register.

I know they say my generation is becoming desensitised to violence, but given that I was not alone in my reaction, I'd modified that to "desensitised to media violence"

That and reality are always going to be different, no matter how accurate the portrayal.

Oh I agree. I realised long ago that I'm not at all squeamish. There's only one film I've seen that almost made me want to look away (Ingmar Bergman's Cries and Whispers - if you've seen it, all I'll say is "wineglass" and that's a scene done entirely through suggestion). Pretty much anything else I've been able to not bat an eyelid at - and that includes footage of a man nailing his own penis to a wooden board, in the documentary Sick: The Life & Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist, now available on DVD in the UK uncut - I have a review copy. Goes to show that you can't be squeamish (or a prude) to review movies with any effectiveness.

But if something happened in front of me, especially to someone I cared for, that would be a different matter.

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Ande slammed a shoulder into the cantina door, knocking it into the wall with a loud crash. The

Whee! I get to be the awesome spy at tech support! Muahahaha!

It's true, though. No holidays[SUP]1[/SUP]. *wipes away another tear* I don't miss Thanksgiving much, though... we do a cake stall for the BBC Children in Need at work and I get my yearly fix of doing ALL THE BAKING. :) (This year: chocolate Guinness cake, mini pumpkin pies, Chai spiced cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting [gluten free] and chocolate orange cake with orange frosting [vegan], and possibly some spiced rum mince pies... maybe.)

[SUP]1[/SUP] Except at Christmas, when I make up for it and take a month or five weeks off. :D

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
*Dashes into the cantina, gathers up all the smibbles, dresses them in tiny little black top hats, black opera capes (with red linings), and gives them all little black moustaches to twirl*

"Come on, boys, let's go tie somebody to a railroad track!*

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to just pretend I didn't see Junely running around with a pack of Smibbley Whiplashes.

Anyway... good morning Cantina :) I've finished my Christmas list, and I was considerate: I made it multiple choice. :D

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Junely, where did you get a billion little outfits??

Ande- can I get that gf chai cupcake recipe???

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Junely, where did you get a billion little outfits??

www.cliche_villains_R_Us.com for all your world-conquering needs! You need it, we can provide it.

Stylish stormtrooper fashions!

Death Trap Decor for the decorating DIY-er!

Ordnance and ammo!

And just in time for Christmas: the Chosen One Electronic Locator and Booby Trap. Deal with those pesky Anointed Ones before they become a pest!

Check out our outlet stores on The Death Star, Mongo Imperial Palace, The Snake Temple of Hyboria, The Mordor Mall, and, for your college needs, Miskatonic University Student Center!

Trust Cliche Villains R Us, when being a non-super villain is not enough!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:) You have missed your calling, friend.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
I have my characters all defined and stuff... except their names. Because I can't think of any that work for me.

Anyone help? Please? I need two names, one that is alliterative and one that isn't, but both with first names that sound like slightly posh old English names but can be shorted to one-syllable names.

But my brain isn't playing along with me.

ETA: There's a giant spider hanging outside my bedroom window. It's just... sitting there.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Anyone help? Please? I need two names, one that is alliterative and one that isn't, but both with first names that sound like slightly posh old English names but can be shorted to one-syllable names.

Clifford Cartwright
William Walker
Frederick Fuller

Any use? Oh, I assume they're men.

I recommend the Writer's Digest Name Dictionary.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I woke up at 7:30, decided I was still tired and crawled back into bed because I'd been sick. Woke up again at 11.

I think, perhaps, I'm still not quite better.

ugh. Coffee, STAT!

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
I got 86 words written (which despite being practically nothing is more than I've written in the past month or so) but now I'm trying to find a halfway decent anti-virus software that is free on a permanent basis instead of just free on a trial basis because god damn it, this nonsense my laptop's been pulling on me HAS to stop!

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I got 86 words written (which despite being practically nothing is more than I've written in the past month or so) but now I'm trying to find a halfway decent anti-virus software that is free on a permanent basis instead of just free on a trial basis because god damn it, this nonsense my laptop's been pulling on me HAS to stop!

I use AVG Anti-Virus. I've used it on my old netbook and this new laptop, and I've never had any issues with it or viruses.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
We just had an earthquake about ten minutes ago. 4.3 on the Richter scale, but the epicenter was an hour south of us, so all it did here was rattle the dishes.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Wow! Not a part of the US I think of when I think Earthquake.

But then neither is VA, and I felt that one...

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Not a part of the US I think of when I think Earthquake.

But then neither is VA, and I felt that one...

Look up New Madrid Earthquake in 1811. It was the largest earthquake in the contiguous United States, the equivalent of a 1 gigaton nuclear explosion. It was in Missouri, but it broke the sidewalks in Boston and rang the church bells in Washington DC (or was that vice versa).

And it's due for another big blow.

And I'm in the danger zone.

And guess what: so are you. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.