Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Erotica
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
DiloKeith
Doesn't scare easily

DiloKeith is a glorious beacon of lightDiloKeith is a glorious beacon of light
Copyright violator link

I discovered someone on a torrent site posting collections of ebooks - m/m, I think, or at least romance/erotica of some kind, from the names I recognize and the file names including MM.
http://kat.ph/user/sory2/
I reported my book (which was released yesterday - this person was quick!), and I imagine others here are in those files.
There are other site members posting similar collections.

address for complaints: copyright@kat.ph
"Consequences" -- forthcoming in Blush
Visit my website for details - Adults Only

DiloKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
E. S. Lark
Editing all the time

E. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthood
Thanks for this. I found a lot of Lori's and have emailed her the links. None of mine are up there...yet.

Alpha's Heart:
on submission

E. S. Lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
c.m.n.
Professor of ----!(fill the blanks)

c.m.n. is a splendid one to beholdc.m.n. is a splendid one to beholdc.m.n. is a splendid one to behold
Ah, yep, recognized a lot of fellow AWer's works on there. Incl. mine. Anyone who writes M/M should take a look and report asap.

All the sh*t I'd like to complete:
Project Wasteland book 1: editing
Super sekrit fantasy project: writing at 21k/50k
Project Wasteland book 2: writing at 12k/25k

Bloggin' | Tweetin'
I Can Haz Website?
c.m.n. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
DiloKeith
Doesn't scare easily

There were about 30 titles in the file with my book. The site might not pull a whole collection if one author complains, but if bunch of us do...

Of course that still leaves other torrent sites.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Fallen
Playing with Knaves

Fallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You're frigging kidding me. Some of those are from Dreamspinner too. Thanks Dilo. I've passed it on to Dreamspinner/reported link.

Goodreads

2013 Rainbow Honorable Mention Award (Don't)

Last edited by Fallen; 11-04-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Geez. People suck.

Tedi, yours is there: http://kat.ph/mm-tedi-sinclair-heave...-t6785240.html
Old 11-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Fallen
Playing with Knaves

Fallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think there's one of Veinglory's and a fair few of Kate Sherwood's too (click on the bottom 'and 40 files more)

https://kat.ph/mm-ebooks-t6645687.html

Goodreads

Old 11-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
benbradley
Perspiring Whitey

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiloKeith View Post
I discovered someone on a torrent site posting collections of ebooks - m/m, I think, or at least romance/erotica of some kind, from the names I recognize and the file names including MM.
http://kat.ph/user/sory2/
I reported my book (which was released yesterday - this person was quick!), and I imagine others here are in those files.
There are other site members posting similar collections.

address for complaints: copyright@kat.ph
I'd like to know if anything actually gets removed from that site based on complaints sent to that address. Looking at what's available on the main site http://kat.ph I'm doubtful.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, mine seems to be down. if they don't take it down things escalate in a way that most people prefer to avoid. They would rather just take it down and upload later in the hope no one notices.

veinglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
DiloKeith
Doesn't scare easily

On Goodreads, someone has my book shelved as a "Free" book. *headdesk*

Old 11-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
Fallen
Playing with Knaves

Oh man... *shakes head in disgust*

Goodreads

Old 11-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #12
Sam Argent
Rygel XVI

Sam Argent has a spectacular auraSam Argent has a spectacular aura
Quote:
On Goodreads, someone has my book shelved as a "Free" book. *headdesk*
Don't stress yourself out if you don't have to. Free could mean a gift from friends or family.
Sam Argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:53 AM   #13
Katie Elle
Banned

Katie Elle is well-respected
There were some very aggressive piracy threads on goodreads, originally intended to be kindle/nook loan threads where people were offering thousands of books via sugarsync. I think GR started to crack down because the one I knew about is gone, but they certainly didn't when I whinged to them about it.

To me, the key is piracy should require some level of technical expertise and understanding that "yeah, you are pirating this" like a torrent. Then, well, it's not a big deal. It's when something is portrayed as being legal and worse that it's really easy that I worry.

Alas, nobody pirates me yet. I can only hope I get that popular.
Katie Elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
DiloKeith
Doesn't scare easily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Argent View Post
Don't stress yourself out if you don't have to. Free could mean a gift from friends or family.
Thanks. I thought of that but guessed it be less likely. Either way, I'm not stressing - just checking out how things are.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:50 AM   #15
c.m.n.
Professor of ----!(fill the blanks)

c.m.n. is a splendid one to beholdc.m.n. is a splendid one to beholdc.m.n. is a splendid one to behold
Anyone see the load of crap that person at Kickass Torrents posted on their profile recently??

"I sincerely believe that what I do is right. I understand that my friends can send me a copy of what they bought, they own. Likewise with what I buy, it's mine. And therefore I can do whatever I want with it. If I want to send it to friends who can not buy, it is my right. Not everyone can afford to buy the books. And I, even though I'm very limited, if you bought some. Buy eight to ten books a month. The rest I send them my friends also buy. Once you buy a book, it's mine. "

Umm, no. It's copyrighted. Idiot. It may be your book, but it's not yours to share worldwide.

All the sh*t I'd like to complete:
Project Wasteland book 1: editing
Super sekrit fantasy project: writing at 21k/50k
Project Wasteland book 2: writing at 12k/25k

Bloggin' | Tweetin'
I Can Haz Website?
c.m.n. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
DiloKeith
Doesn't scare easily

Crap factor aside (and there's a lot to move aside), that person is correct, in a way, about what can be done with a personal copy. (Not the file sharing part, however.) Many types of copyrighted material can be shared, but not reproduced, and what they're doing is reproducing. It's the same as photocopying a print book -- also copyrighted, but can be shared in the original form because the number of copies stays the same. It's possible that some people truly don't understand the distinction.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #17
Fallen
Playing with Knaves

Yeah, I caught that. I take it they haven't heard about distribution and reproduction rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.m.n. View Post
Anyone see the load of crap that person at Kickass Torrents posted on their profile recently??

"I sincerely believe that what I do is right. I understand that my friends can send me a copy of what they bought, they own. Likewise with what I buy, it's mine. And therefore I can do whatever I want with it. If I want to send it to friends who can not buy, it is my right. Not everyone can afford to buy the books. And I, even though I'm very limited, if you bought some. Buy eight to ten books a month. The rest I send them my friends also buy. Once you buy a book, it's mine. "

Umm, no. It's copyrighted. Idiot. It may be your book, but it's not yours to share worldwide.

Goodreads

Old 11-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #18
Fallen
Playing with Knaves

D, I can't see yours anymore. A lot of the ones from Dreamspinner have been removed too.

Goodreads

Old 11-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #19
benbradley
Perspiring Whitey

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Crap factor aside (and there's a lot to move aside), that person is correct, in a way, about what can be done with a personal copy. (Not the file sharing part, however.) Many types of copyrighted material can be shared, but not reproduced, and what they're doing is reproducing. It's the same as photocopying a print book -- also copyrighted, but can be shared in the original form because the number of copies stays the same. It's possible that some people truly don't understand the distinction.
The way computers work and the ease of copying files may well confuse the issue [especially for those who don't want to understand]. There's no real way to "loan an original" bought-and-paid-for ebook unless you loan the device it's stored on. "Sharing" it by putting it on some other medium (flash/thumb drive, CD, sending it in an email) makes a copy, and the only way that can possibly be legal is if the original file is immediately deleted.

It's possible to "move" a file - in the MSWindows finder, you hold down the shift key while you drag-and-drop - and this just tells the computer to delete the original once the copy has been successfully made. But probably just about no one does that.