So what's for dinner?

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to try making barbeque duck soup with the bones and leftover meat from my duck.

Wish me luck. My soup usually ends up smelling wonderful and tasting like dishwater.

ETA: Tasted the broth made just from the bones without anything added. Far too salty to go any further with. Ah, well.

Last edited:

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I'm going to try making barbeque duck soup with the bones and leftover meat from my duck.

Wish me luck. My soup usually ends up smelling wonderful and tasting like dishwater.

ETA: Tasted the broth made just from the bones without anything added. Far too salty to go any further with. Ah, well.
Barbecue soup? Is that a thing? :Jaw:

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it was a barbequed duck, bought from the Chinese deli. Didn't seem as salty just as slices of meat, but the broth was practically a brine.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Homemade spagetti sauce with meatballs, and yes I finally got myself some spagetti after he threatened me with waiting until tomorrow! He's making his version lasanga tomorrow for Mother's Day, it'll be from him and the furkids...

Now to convince him he wants to make me a chocolate buttercream cake.

Photos on my blog, there's even a recipe there somewhere for the exact meal that is from an old italian cookbook.
http://www.survivalkitchen.blogspot.com/

Kimberly

JustKia

My inner voice has terrible grammar
Registered
Reaction score
Pan-fried pork steaks, roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, broccoli, cauliflower and gravy. The older folks in this household would mutiny if I didn't serve roast tatas and Yorkie pud on a Sunday - mind you the younger half don't find this a particular hardship either ;)

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I come to your house for dinner, JustKia?

Actually I've been told I'm going to my neighbour's for BBQ pork chops, macaroni salad and corn on the cob, along with two types of birthday cake. If I don't go, she'll sic her dog on me.

JustKia

Registered
Reaction score
Can I come to your house for dinner, JustKia?

Actually I've been told I'm going to my neighbour's for BBQ pork chops, macaroni salad and corn on the cob, along with two types of birthday cake. If I don't go, she'll sic her dog on me.

Double dinner then :D
Save me some BBQ though!

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Baked tilapia w/panko breadcrumbs seasoned with butter, lemon juice, garlic salt, black pepper & coriander and a fresh tomato on the side.

Jack Parker

Sleep is only caffeine deprivation.
Registered
Reaction score
I made a Burmese curry dish because, well, curry is never the wrong answer.

JustKia

Registered
Reaction score
Lots and lots of jacket potatoes and paninis (paninii?) - I'm a volunteer cook at the community café.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Mediterranean village salad: a lot of fresh cucumbers and tomatoes, some black olives, a bit of cheese, fresh basil leaves and lemon pepper, dressed with olive oil and wine vinegar.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I made a whack of spaghetti sauce earlier in the week, put some aside and made chili with the rest. So now I have a container of sauce and some left over chili. Today, with the addition of more celery, onion, and also some carrots, corn, a can of navy beans, a can of diced seasoned tomatoes, cooked rice, beef broth and extra chili seasoning, I now have soup which looks and smells delish. I'm going to serve it with a dollup of sour cream and nachoes.

Since I can never make a small soup, I'll probably have a whack of this left over as well.

articshark

shoes are like crack
Registered
Reaction score
Last night was pesto pasta. Tonight is beef stroganoff over buttered egg noodles.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Yesterday was spicy chicken with a salad topped with basil mayo (homemade, of course). I need to make basil mayo more often. It's seriously addictive.

Today, I'm making something with lamb and rosemary, but beyond that, haven't figured it out yet. :) I have a couple of hours. :)

JustKia

Registered
Reaction score
Today will be Conchiglie Bolognese!
My dad can't manage spaghetti ;)
Grandpa will have mashed spuds instead of pasta as he doesn't like "foreign stuff" :D

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight - Coca Cola Chicken.

6 Chicken thighs + onion + 2-3 whole lemons sliced + 16 -20 oz real Coke (preferably made with cane sugar, no brand substitution allowed) - brown the chicken & onion, add the rest, simmer 45 min. Optional: cut in 1-2 zucchini a little before it's done. Serve with your favorite starch & a salad.

Genuine Coca Cola is a critical ingredient because it's not overpoweringly sweet but includes a lot of other flavor notes that come out in the cooking. The formulations with cane sugar (Mexican Coke, Kosher-for-Passover Coke) seem to work best. Other brands just don't have the complexity to make a great dish.

You can eat the lemon slices, btw. Once they've cooked they're not bitter anymore!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
benbenberi--copying that recipe to make for dinner one of these nights. Thanks for sharing it. :)

But since I'm not going food shopping and it's warm here, we're having BLTs (bacon, lettuce, tomato on toasted rye bread) but instead of mayo, I'm using a creamy horseradish dressing.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I've been pondering this. I spent the morning in the garden and am starving. It will have to be something quick and here--I'm too grubby to run to the store. Think it will be a sandwich of Sunday's roast beef, a glass of half and half tea and a heaping helping of cold barbecue beans--s6

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Today's dinner was cheesy diced potatoes (with a bit of mayonnaise for creamyness) and skinless kielbasa. *yum* A bit challenging for my stomach, but so tasty I'm already wanting second dinner.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
Shooter sandwich: thin-sliced steak, Swiss, onions, zucchini, and balsamic dressing on focaccia. It's pressing right now.

holy_shiitake

KB1VWJ
Registered
Reaction score
Chicken thighs baked with cheddar-jack blend and Italian "gravy" -- think of a marinara sauce on steroids. With pickles because I'm an adult and can do what I like, damnit. ;)

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Zucchini + Tomato Sour Cream Bake, which is my all-time favorite summer dish. It's very simple and easy, just chop up a lot of zucchini, summer squash and tomatoes, add some high-quality sour cream and put it in the oven until tender. + Pepper, salt, whatever floats your spice boat. There are two versions: ZTSCB Light (which means using low-fat sour cream thinned with water) and ZTSCB Intense (which means using nice thick sour cream and grated Swiss + Parmesan cheeses to create a rich, pulpy bake).