Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Got photos of the 'super-moon'

amoon_zps4606fb3c.png

amoon1_zps2e37ecc3.png

And a lightning strike - sorry it's blurry, it was so dark the camera didn't want to focus right. :(

alightning_zps8d5e6e5e.png

Then there's tonight's sunset

asunset_zps2aa9a0e6.jpg

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
I accidentally captured a picture or two that I wouldn't be embarrassed to share.

What's the correct procedure? All I know is PhotoBucket, I'm sure there are better ways available.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I accidentally captured a picture or two that I wouldn't be embarrassed to share.

What's the correct procedure? All I know is PhotoBucket, I'm sure there are better ways available.

I use photobucket to post here. I just try to size them down before posting them. ;)

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Photo of last night's lightning storm - it was quite a show, but this was the only one I managed to capture in all the flashing/booming-thunder. :D

ashot_zpsa7efae55.png

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was in Silver King land! I contacted SK but I was in Florida for such a short time we didn't get to meet up. Sounds like he's doing well, for all those who are wondering. I did get a glimpse of some of the local wildlife. This isn't Charlie, but maybe a cousin of his. :D

Gator7-14_zpsf2311eb6.jpg

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And here's a Black Crowned Night Heron. I don't have as excellent a camera as SK, but at least I captured the moment..

NightHeron_zpse9d8f516.jpg

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Great photos, Swachski. Charlie's cousin looks like he's giving you the evil side-eye.

Glad to hear Silver King is doing well. I hope he knows we miss him.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This guy was in a protected area, fortunately..

And welcome, morriss :hi:

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm geeked beyond words... Monarch caterpillars used to be such a common sight when I was growing up in northern Michigan. This is the first one I've seen in SW Mich in many years, and it's on a solitary plant next to my old house! Isn't he beautiful?

monarch-caterpillar_zpsc23b983f.jpg

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet!

Part of the decline of monarchs can be blamed on loss of its food source. http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/common_milkweed.htm

Common milkweed isn't something farmers want in their fields (its poisonous, so you and your livestock don't want it in there, either), so heavy spraying has eliminated large portions of it. Unfortunately for the butterflies.

There is a little patch of it growing in our pasture. Every once in awhile I get treated to the sight of a tiger swallowtail butterfly in my yard. :)

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not only that, urban sprawl isn't helping matters. The neighborhood I grew up in had fields and fields of native plants, including milkweed. Over the years I watched all my favorite play areas slowly disappear as houses went up. I considered becoming an conservation activist before I knew what the meaning of that was. Save the milkweed!

It is uplifting to see more milkweed on roadsides recently. (probably because of budget cuts more than anything.)

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard there is a push on to plant more milkweed. Unfortunately, my area does not support it.

Lovely photo, Swachski.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
A sphinx moth has been visiting my honeysuckle vine. Growing up I always knew them as hummingbird moths.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because they buzz like a hummer, right?

Great pic, Wicked.