Ray's House of Love Vol III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
And don't forget to seal the holes in the fall.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We can't find the holes, which is part of the problem. We've used high-intensity flashlights and mirrors, seeking the tiny place they're getting in, but nothing.

Which is why I was after Mr. Maryn to put a clear seal under all the shingles in the general area, but no-o-o. I guess I should have done it myself.

Anyway, when I run errands after today's writing group, I intend to pick up another can of Raid. Oh, boy!

In other news, I slept horribly. Some tendon in my ankle decided to scream every five or ten minutes starting about one in the morning. I have no idea what's up with that, but I'm giving it a few days' rests before we go walking again.

Maryn, gettin' old

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your ankle. I can only sleep on my right side and it's the side that hurts and my hip pain woke me up last night too. I try the other side or my back and wake up on my right side.

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, all. Sorry to hear about everyone's aches and pains, but it did keep my mind off all my aches and pains for a bit. Misery loves company?

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
That's great! Is there a good view?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Natural light! Ooh, I never had that at a job except that year my office at Avis was in a trailer which shook when they used the closer of the runways.

Maryn, who tried harder

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just looked, from where I'll be sitting it will mostly be a tree, with a brick wall behind it. not bad. From the other angle, I guess by people who stand in front of my desk, it'll be parking, (really a loading zone but people park there.) Hey, my boss gets a view of the dumpster so hey. :) The only time I had natural light was when I sat at a reception desk where the whole front door was glass. but it wasn't the same as having a window because it was the reception area, not a space just for me.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As views go, that's pretty sweet. You'll be able to watch the seasons change, see wind and rain affect the leaves and branches, all that good stuff.

What kind of tree is it?

Maryn, whose birches go yellow (I need a maple!)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of my low-priority goals is to learn to identify the trees that grow here. I know some of them, but there are more that I don't.

Mr. Maryn says I can buy a tree in August if it's small enough that we can plant it ourselves. We agree our lot would be much improved if we'd planted one tree a year. Only one of the three trees I bought last year is still living, and it's stunted, so I've learned Home Depot and Lowe's are not where to buy trees.

The much more expensive garden center is better--all three of theirs are doing fine, though small. I blame our hard clay soil and the deer who don't seem to know what plants are deer-resistant. I guess they can't read.

Maryn, who needs to get herself in gear

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good to know as I need a tree for our front yard.

We went to see Guardians of the Galaxy. It was awesome.

Last edited:

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I need to see a movie in the theaters. Last one was "Snowpiercer" (am I the only human on Earth who didn't like that movie?) and before that was the Jarmusch vampire flick, and "Grand Budapest Hotel" (yes, I am a total Tilda Swinton groupie LOL). I at least need to watch "Dawn of the POTA", which if it follows the pattern of "Rise of the POTA" won't go out of it's way to insult the intelligence of every adult watching.

Trees are awesome. I would love to have more trees around the house so I can have total privacy. But unfortunately, I don't own the place - a certain control freak does who cut up all the foliage in the yard (opening up the view of the neighbors she wanted blocked, WTF?) does.
Oh well, in another lifetime where I can afford a yard of my own...

Sorry to be grumpy on my return to the HOL, I have a big wedding to attend next weekend (no, not mine!) and the stress is getting to me a lot...But it's the House of Love! We all love each other, and that makes me feel better.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Smooch!

I have a little story on trees. Years ago, Mr. Maryn and I lived in Austin, where we were friends with a somewhat famous philosopher, a colleague of Mr. Maryn's. (You won't know his name unless you're a fan of the movie Waking Life, but in philosophy circles he was well known.) Anyway, being a big success got him a one-year appointment at Harvard. He arranged for a grad student to live in and take care of his house while he was gone.

On his return, he saw the student had cut down or uprooted every tree on the property. He was finding it hard to work on his tan with all that shade. The downed trees included live oaks, which are legally protected.

There wasn't anything the owner could do, really. Sue someone who's a penniless grad student? Spread the word not to hire him based on tree removal? In the end, he didn't do anything, but he sold the property not long after.

Maryn, who likes trees

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
that's weird. I don't even know what to think of that. I would never do such a thing. We have a dead tree but no money to remove it. bah.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It costs to remove a dead tree, but be aware that ignoring it can cost more. Time and the weather will bring it down eventually. Can it land on your house or car? If not, then you're probably safe.

We lost the tree the kids nicknamed The Great Willow five or ten years ago, but we'd already determined it was going to land in either our yard or our neighbor's, more likely ours. Which is what it did. I tried to grow a replacement from a twig, but it died. Too bad. Although the tree was diseased and then died, I liked it!

I'm careful about the trees I'm planting. It minimizes shade, which I'd enjoy in summer, but I won't plant anything which could hit the house if it reached full size then fell. Seems like asking for trouble.

I've been to my friend's house to feed her critters. They seem glad to see me. I bet in their critter way, they miss the attention she gives them. I hung around talking to them a little longer than was truly necessary.

Maryn, who doesn't especially like them

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah there are four ways it could fall (really more - I mean it's a circle) but only one would miss the house or an out building or a fence.

We didn't plant them - they were here when we bought the house. we just can't get ahead money wise. we also need to get the house painted or we are going to lose the siding. And my oven is not working, and our smoke alarm quit, and we just had to get new car tags, and we need new shocks for one of the cars, and and and.

What kind of critters? I once stayed at someone's house for the weekend instead of just going to feed the cats because the homeowners didn't want the cats to get lonely. The cats ignored me the whole time except when it was time for food. But they had cable and a bath tub (I only had a shower in my apartment.)

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is three guinea pigs and three fish. One of the piggies is sociable and likes to be stroked. The other two hide and bite respectively. Even arriving with food doesn't improve their outlook.

I'm amazed and saddened at how many people are in your financial shoes. Two people, both working, but unable to get ahead even a little? That shouldn't be happening.

I'm having a day when Mr. Maryn is annoying me. First, he got a haircut so short he looks like a redneck conservative. Second, he gloated about spending less at the grocery store than I do, because he buys only and exactly what's on the list rather than thinking about what else we need. Third, he keeps undoing work I've done. (Wipe the sand out of the big cooler, and he puts tent stakes in it, getting sand in there. I wipe it out again and put the tent stakes in a sealed bag, then stow it in the basement, with stuff on top of it. He's bent because he doesn't want to keep the stakes there. Then why did he put them there in the first place? Grr...)

Maryn, thinking he needs to get out of the house, or she does

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Part of it is the economy. I used to be able to keep the groceries at about $75-80 a week, but now I buy less and struggle to keep it at $100. And gas is high. We ride together to help. But part of it is also our own bad habits resulting in high CC debt. We pay a large chunk every month in minimums and I fear we'll never pay off all our debt.

ETA: then we can't catch a break. Hubby gets two "extra" checks because he gets paid every two weeks. We were going to put the last one towards home repairs and maybe a nice dinner and the dogs got sick and we spent all the extra and more.

Last edited:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Warning: multi-quotes ahead ...

Sorry about the bites. I wear Off when I walk the dogs but sometimes at night, I'll go out just to see what the dogs are barking at or take the trash down or something and will be out for all of 5 minutes and get bitten. .

Reminder: add bug spray to the list of vacation must-haves next week.

I don't smoke and I don't drink to excess. But I've never met a cookie I didn't like.

I smoked for about a week in 7th or 8th grade, with a friend named Dena. But it didn't do anything for me. I smoked pot in college but didn't get hooked on it. I smoked cigs socially - at parties - a few times in my 20s, but still never got hooked.

Same with alcohol - never got hooked. I'll drink occasionally, but it's not a habit.

Chocolate is my downfall, and other sweets.

We went to see Guardians of the Galaxy. It was awesome.

We went to the movies on Saturday. Husband wanted to see G of the G, but it was my turn to pick and I chose "Words and Pictures" instead. Cute, clever dialogue, but a stupid ending. I like Clive Owen though - I could watch him in anything.

Years ago, Mr. Maryn and I lived in Austin, where we were friends with a somewhat famous philosopher, a colleague of Mr. Maryn's. ... He arranged for a grad student to live in and take care of his house while he was gone.

On his return, he saw the student had cut down or uprooted every tree on the property.

Hmm, it was in Austin that I had a similar experience. A friend and I rented a house over on, I think it was around W 39th St and Lamar? - anyway, it was surrounded by lovely large trees rimming the lot. Totally hid the house from the street.

But they were terribly overgrown, and we suggested that the landlady have them trimmed a bit. So we came home from work one day and they had been just hacked away to bits. It was shocking - I still remember standing in the street and seeing how naked the house looked.

I'm amazed and saddened at how many people are in your financial shoes. Two people, both working, but unable to get ahead even a little? That shouldn't be happening.

Those shoes fit me, too. It's discouraging and disheartening. Little joy in life when the stress is like that. I hang on only by denial.

Next week we're flying to Maine to visit family. My FIL lives there and it will be his 90th birthday. 2 of our kids are flying in also. We all live far apart, different parts of the country. We go to an isolated small island. I'm quite looking forward to it. Hoping to get some writing done. Taking the ms with me, printed out. It's unwieldy and unfinished - needs some chunks of time to figure it out. I'd really like to finish it ...

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We've vacationed in Maine, and I love it. Not the mosquitoes, but the rest. We rented this mansion, inviting our kids and GF, my BIL and SIL, and my sister and BIL months ahead of time. Exactly zero people were able to come. So we lived in a mansion on the water for a week. Tough break for us, huh?

It was odd, though. It really was a mansion, but they had these ancient TVs like you'd get at a thrift store these days. No remotes. Based on what else the place had, you'd expect large flat-screens, not tube TVs with a 16-inch screen.

We went hiking every day, then cleaned up in a bathroom larger than our bedroom at home. The closest town had one restaurant and after our first visit, we cooked in every night. C'mon, green beans out of a can?

Maryn, who lost weight on that vacation

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I would urge everyone here to secure their prize books in airtight storage bags. I have spent most of the morning separating clean books from infested ones.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Juniper- I tried smoking in 6th grade because one of the few people who was nice to me smoked. She was in high school. 1) I didn't like it and didn't see what people liked about it. 2) said girl found out and took the rest of the pack and told me not to start.

I hope you have a good trip. It's nice to catch up with family like that.

Mansions sound nice but I wouldn't want to have to clean it. My aunt came to visit - she doesn't have a mansion but her house is larger than mine, with four bedrooms, a bonus room over the garage, a living room and a den, eat in kitchen and a dining room, and commented on how small my house was but then added it was probably easier to clean. Sassy- who is at work alone today.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At work alone--doesn't that make it crack cocaine day? (tee-hee!)

Komnena, infested with what? I'm horrified. We have a ton of books, maybe even literally.

Maryn, wringing her hands (later I'll be ringing them)

Status
Not open for further replies.