Game: How would you act on a first date?

Laiceps

Busy doing nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Just curious, I reckon you lot could come up with some good stuff for this.

Basically, the idea is to describe what you would do on a first date to whittle down the no-hopers.
How would you act? What things would eventually come out in a relationship that they'd have to deal with or get ditched?

It can be as bizarre as you like.

Do you have a serious problem with collecting plastic trolls? Would you line them up on the table? Would you talk about your love for exotic cheeses for half an hour?

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I set a guy on fire once. In my defense, though, he did ask me to.

This was around the third time we'd hung out, and our first actual "date." I happened to mention that I had performed as a fire-eater and he wanted to see. We were near my house so I grabbed my gear and demonstrated a few moves, one of which involves drawing a line of lighter fluid across a non-hairy body part, holding an unlit torch on one end, and touching a lit torch to the other. The flame moves across the skin and and lights the torch. It's pretty awesome.

He asked if it hurt, and I said, "Yeah, a little." He wanted to try it, but was too afraid to light himself on fire, so he asked me to do it across his chest. I figure, "Why not?" So I did it, same as I had done on myself. Then he starts whining because it stung and he had a tiny pink line on his skin. I'm thinking, "Duh. Fire is hot, and I said it hurts. What did you expect?" What a wuss.

That's the day I realized that I'm one of the weirdos that people warn you about.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Order escargots, or some other relatively exotic food. If she says, "ew, how can you eat that?", we're done; no taste for adventure or expanding horizons.

Also, do things that aren't particularly expensive. If a big splashout is required on a first date, then it's not about chemistry, and it never will be.

ScienceFictionMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sciencefictionmommy.blogspot.com
Order escargots, or some other relatively exotic food. If she says, "ew, how can you eat that?", we're done; no taste for adventure or expanding horizons.

Also, do things that aren't particularly expensive. If a big splashout is required on a first date, then it's not about chemistry, and it never will be.

I may be revealing my ignorance here, but I had it in my mind that escargot was fairly expensive. ... ?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps a little, but not what I would think of as a big splurge. In terms of splashing out, I was thinking of an overall expensive restaurant or occasion.

A plate of escargots can be, let's say, ten or twelve dollars, and you might find them at mid-range restaurants. That's different from feeling compelled to do the high-end big-occasion restaurant, or having to order the bottle of champers, or the VIP concert tickets, or whatnot.

I take your point, though - the point can be made equally well with a different example.

TheAias

Registered
Reaction score
As a person who is more often being whittled than doing the whittling I can usually tell when someone is done with me. Their eyes glaze over and they typically stop investing in anything happening. Sometimes the process is obvious as if they are handing you a pop quiz and other times it's subtle like that time my Psych professor had someone sit in the hallway with all their papers and books scattered around them just to see who would stop and who wouldn't. It tied in to a lesson I forgot a long time ago.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
If he turns every conversation back to himself, I'm done. I can cope with a lot but self-centred people bore the life out of me.

Actually .... being boring is pretty much my cutoff point.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How I weeded the wheat from the chaff:

Can we talk with ease and comfort without alcohol? Is he intelligent? Does our conversation jump from one topic in which we're both interested to the next to the next to the next? Are our world views on socio-political issues in sync? Does he make me laugh? Does he make me think? Is he easy to get along with? Does he have some hair? (Back when I dated, this was a make-or-break issue, since non-short hair signified a great deal. Mr. Maryn had a pony tail.) Is he at ease with who he is? Does he seem to be faking liking me in order to get laid? Is he a good person?

A guy who was rude to waiters or clerks was an automatic no.

Mr. Maryn took me out for ice cream and then to a large used bookstore on our first date. Yup, that's The One.

Maryn, married for a great many years

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
For me, how he treats animals is a barometer for what type of person he is.

On our first date, Mr. Dakota took me horseback riding. he was on our now 40 yr old gelding-(much younger at the time) The poor guy has a thing about crossing streams and balked when Mr. D. asked him to walk over one. instead of getting upset and fighting with the horse, he got down and talked to him, stroked his nose and whispered sweet nothings into his ear and then ever-so-calmly walked him over that stream with no fuss or muss. My horse followed and I thought- wow, he would make a great father. I was right.