Question about magazines

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hello fellow writers!! I was wondering, are there any magazines that published serialized or episodic stories. I have one that I want to publish, but It's not going to be long enough to reach 20,000 words even, I don't have time to put much more into it, so are there any magazines that publish stories in that manner so that I can get the story out there and published, but I don't have to write a whole novel, which I don't have time for? Thank you!!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I see a couple of solutions for you.

1) You put in the time and write a complete novel. None of us has infinite hours of free time -- we find the time because we want to. Of course, it can only be novel-length if you have enough subject matter to make it novel-length.

2) You keep it to novella/novelette length and publish it that way, with an epublisher or on your own.

3) You publish it serially on Wattpad or some such site. No payment with this option though.

I personally have never really seen YA published serially. And not writing a full novel because you "don't have time" is doing a disservice to the work, if it deserves to be a full novel.

Emmet Cameron

Registered
Reaction score
Thumbs up to Becca's options. Just want to add that if you're pursuing *any* of those courses (or even if you do find somebody interested in publishing it as a serial), you're going to have to put in the time editing it, regardless. Novellas are great and wonderful things and there are plenty of options for finding them an audience outside of trad publishing these days, but yeah, they're not a time saver for would-be novelists on the go.

In any case, sounds like you're not through the first draft yet, so you know. Horse, cart. In that order.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Question: Do full novels on wattpad ever get published by other publishers? Or is there a rights issue? I have never tried it before, but I would rather work with that than fictionpress I think. Or is fictionpress a good way to go as well? Which site would you recommend?

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
Wattpad is slightly better for this, but your odds are still a million to one. I wouldn't recommend putting it there unless you'd be content with just readers and comments.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
There are more options for magazines if it's shorter rather than longer. But there are some that take novellas. My general advice is not to limit yourself to young adult markets. I've sold a few young adult stories to adult markets, because the difference between young adult and an adult story with a teen character is not really that firm. (I don't call it young adult in the cover letter...just give genre, word count and whatever else they ask for.)

Do note that short story publishing isn't the easy road. It's very competitive, so there's no guarantee of selling it if you submit. A starting point for finding markets is here: http://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/