Characters in a state of "slavery" who don't want out? Is it too wrong?

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
As the title says. I recently got the inspiration for a story that involves a duel-perspective sort of deal. It's essentially focused on battles between individuals with godly, reality-warping abilities who, for the safty and protection of reality wage their battles through proxy as appose to using their own powers. These "battles" take the form of what is more or less an organized tournament of war games that are treated like a sport of sorts, using the most powerful champions the reality-warpers can collect from across the multiverse.

However, these "champions" are not necessarily always recruited willingly, and many are outright yanked from their normal universe and forced into the games.(Because you try saying no to a person who can literally make whatever they want to happen reality.) However, they are treated more like professional athletes then true slaves, and live a good, comfortable life, gain fame, and all of this is to the point that most eventually become content with there existence and don't really want "out."

My question is, whether or not having such characters just too wrong? Should I make them have a say in recruitment to make it less a form of "slavery" so such issues don't arise or is it ok as-is? If one of the two protagonists happened to be one of these individuals, and decided they didn't want out, would the whole thing just be too wrong?

Thoughts and opinions please!

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I had lots of thoughts reading your question. The bulk of which come from the question of "slavery" in the idea.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the idea as a novel.

Are your reality-warpers human/like-human? Considering the scope of their powers, they are practically god-like. Second, a condition of slavery is treating people like property, so while your characters might be reluctant champions, are they actually property (bought, sold, without recourse, work without pay)?

Thinking further, I don't know the fundamentals are all that different from being a tribute in THG, except for - I'm assuming - duration. Tributes are picked, and can't say no, your people are grabbed by a power too strong to say no to. Both are looked after and encouraged to fight as best they can, etc etc.

I think the idea of "I was taken from my old life, but I choose my new one" is pretty conventional novel-fodder. From what you've said here, I don't think it's 'wrong'.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's too far out. A lot can be done with the circumstances of the slavery, how they're treated etc. vs the realities of the world they live in.

George RR Martin plays with this a little bit in the Song of Ice and Fire books.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Go for it. Like Jperez6 said, nontraditional perspectives can be an interesting read. The concept kind of reminds me of one of the cartoon X-Men episodes (I think it's "Mojovision") except with people who are happy to be there. Or satisfied anyway.

You could always give it a shot and see what happens. :)

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's too far out. A lot can be done with the circumstances of the slavery, how they're treated etc. vs the realities of the world they live in.

George RR Martin plays with this a little bit in the Song of Ice and Fire books.

He does, in a very thought-provoking way, imho.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's possible to write an athlete who, aside from being grabbed by aliens, who doesn't even see it as 'slavery', not if it's essentially the way they're living on Earth. Even here and now, we hear about athletes who gave up their childhoods and adolescences for their sport. No home life, no friends outside of the team, practice all week and games on the weekend. Don't eat anything or do anything that might be bad for training, leave home for special residential coaching. In some cases in hopes of a professional career; in other cases for a once-in-a-lifetime chance at a medal and fame.
If the aliens kidnapped someone like that, and told them that this would be their chance to be the best in the galaxy, they might well be all for it. For a really competitive person, it's not 'slavery', it's another opportunity to show their stuff.

DaisyH

Registered
Reaction score
Go for it! It doesn't seem that much like slavery to me, although I suggest that you don't explicitly call it "slavery" as it could potentially offend people who have had real life slavery in their history.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think it should work just fine.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
There were actual slaves who refused to leave their masters after they were freed. They were more frightened of the unknown, more afraid that they wouldn't earn a living independently, than they were upset by their conditions as slaves. Of course, these particular slaves probably had nicer owners.

You can research this topic.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
There were actual slaves who refused to leave their masters after they were freed. They were more frightened of the unknown, more afraid that they wouldn't earn a living independently, than they were upset by their conditions as slaves. Of course, these particular slaves probably had nicer owners.

You can research this topic.

This is what I was thinking. Maybe you're not interested in delving into this psyche, but I think it would be extremely interesting to explore the mental state and thoughts of people in this situation, how they change, etc. Your idea sounds interesting, but I think the human factor of how people think this way and how others think a different way would make it amazing!