Short Poems At Start Of Each Chapter Good Idea?

SamuraiHex

Registered
Reaction score
Website
samuraihex.weebly.com
Just needing some feedback about what I'm doing with my WIP, Second Saviour: Celestial Fortress.

You know how books always start? Cover, legal stuff, then the name of the book again, then the full opening page.
I know this isn't a revolutionary idea and all, many others have done what I'm attempting to do in their own books.
What I'm attempting to do is write some short poems and put them at the start of each chapter, the prologue and the epilogue. The poems not other's poems but poems I've created to add a bit to the lore and depth of the book's universe.
Not sure I can do this on this type of post, but I'll attempt to do it anyway.
This is how it'd go...

Prologue

“When earth and sky move, the Celestial Fortress shall appear. Bringing chaos from beyond the clouds...
Skies shall shake. Earth shall tremble. Castella shall arrive. The Celestial Fortress peaks towards the heavens of Epsellar. Eclipsing the sun.
Run, run, mortals for the inhabitants of the Celestial, are nothing you have seen on this earth.
They smell of rotting flesh, with devil's horns and foul breath. They attempt to break your skull and drink the blood from your veins.
They can sense you a mile away. So know when you see Castella, the Celestial Fortress up above. You are doomed...”

(Translated from an ancient rune found in the Saviour's Sanctuary
by Herman Ckiles.)

It was a chilly morning, the sun had barely risen in the sky. Looking left and right, everyone was wrapped up in thick coats with scarves around their necks. With myself however, I had nothing but a tattered top and ripped bottoms. Shivering, I looked across the street to where the smells of freshly made food were coming from.

The first part of course being the chapter/prologue/epilogue and all.
Second the actual poem, that has something to do with the plot and/or part of the world I've set my characters in. Maybe even history of the world.
Third being some extra parts, mostly even more added lore and history to the world.
After that you'd turn the page or something like that and actually get the full writing of that part such being fourth part.

Feedback is mostly the question is it a good idea to do it for each chapter? A bad idea?
If I end up getting some comments saying it'd be best not to do it every chapter as it would get you out the rhythm...
Would it be okay to just do a single poem at the start of the book? Possibly the end as well then leave it at that?

You could say I'm possibly over thinking it, and I admit I might be. Though sometimes can't help it with my autism and all.

Anyway thank you for reading, and if you do, thanks to the feedback as well!

Also if it's illegal in forum terms to post some of the poem and part of the start of the my book in this post, just pm me or something and I'll edit it to the right standards. No need to delete it. Thanks again!

Satisian

Registered
Reaction score
The place where everyone speaks like the Queen.
If you can write a good poem for every chapter which is relevant either thematically or materially (and isn't just an excuse to infodump) and also isn't too spoilerish, then I would say go for it. You may annoy some readers, but if they're immersed in your story enough they'll just skip over it as it's only a page.

I would definitely not have poems for some chapters and not others as it just looks like the author got bored or ran out of ideas. If you want to have a poem just at the beginning and end that would be okay, and if you want to include a few more, you can always split your book up into acts or something, and have a poem at the beginning of each act.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
The first part of course being the chapter/prologue/epilogue and all.
Second the actual poem, that has something to do with the plot and/or part of the world I've set my characters in. Maybe even history of the world.
Third being some extra parts, mostly even more added lore and history to the world.
After that you'd turn the page or something like that and actually get the full writing of that part such being fourth part.

Feedback is mostly the question is it a good idea to do it for each chapter? A bad idea?
If I end up getting some comments saying it'd be best not to do it every chapter as it would get you out the rhythm...
Would it be okay to just do a single poem at the start of the book? Possibly the end as well then leave it at that?

You could say I'm possibly over thinking it, and I admit I might be. Though sometimes can't help it with my autism and all.

Anyway thank you for reading, and if you do, thanks to the feedback as well!

Also if it's illegal in forum terms to post some of the poem and part of the start of the my book in this post, just pm me or something and I'll edit it to the right standards. No need to delete it. Thanks again!

Not sure if the mods will delete the poem part of not. Generally work posted for feedback is in the Show Your Work forum. (You have to have 50 posts to post your own work, but you can crit others' stuff there any time.)

As far as the concept, though, as a reader, I generally like things like that. But I think they work best when they serve a purpose for the story. So if you're telling folklore or something that ties into the plot (like the one included in your post), it sounds like they would be a fun addition to the story.

The most recent example I can think of is E. Lockhart's WE WERE LIARS, which includes fairy tales interspersed in the text. I read an article where the author said the fairy tales were the MC's way of expressing things she couldn't say straight/out loud.

Emmet Cameron

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like the kind of thing that readers who aren't into it could easily skip (I'm imagining it clearly marked on the page by spacing, italics, or both). Wouldn't worry about it.

If you want to do it, try it. If it's truly not working on some fundamental level, people will start telling you that long before it's too late to alter.

pannwright

Registered
Reaction score
I think it would be fine. It's the sort of thing that I would have trouble extracting information from, so I'd probably skip them. So I'd definitely advise making them something that deepens the story rather than being totally necessary to the plot, or totally unnecessary -- which sounds like what you're doing.

Either way, do it. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't, but there's no harm in trying.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
As you can see from the posts, every reader is different.

I myself would hate it and remember you as a writer to avoid. But if you did it brilliantly and gave me great joy, I'd forgive it. (That's very unlikely, though.)

It may seem cliche but in the end trust in your own heart.

Last edited:

beautyinwords

Registered
Reaction score
Anne Rice has done similar things with her husbands poetry. Sometimes I read them, but if they were particularly long I usually skipped right past. It also helped me to want to read them if they tied into the chapter (or at least the story) somehow. Often they seemed not to...

DaisyH

Registered
Reaction score
If it's done horribly and it's the first thing I read, I'll probably roll my eyes and put the book down. If it's not, it won't make a difference. If I get tired of reading the poems, I'll just skip them.

If it's something you really want to do, then go for it!

asyouwish

Registered
Reaction score
An alternative could be of including a poem every few chapters instead of before each one.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
If you want a YA fantasy example, you could check out the Pern: Harper Hall books by Anne McCaffrey. There are "poems" at the beginning of each chapter. The poems are technically songs though, since songs and song writing have a big influence in the story and the world the story takes place in.

sofia.e

Registered
Reaction score
I can think of quite a few novels that do this but I would advise you to keep it short. Just a couple lines quoted from a "longer" fictional text. This is personal preference, but if I turn the page, I want to see prose on the first page of a chapter.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I think I'll just follow my own instincts on this one. I'll let the beta reader decide if they fit or not.:/

Oh so speaking specifically of YA? Yea, a couple of books I purchased at one point ... well they weren't my favorite. For reasons.

Last edited: