Where to start?

Reaction score
I want to build a platform, but don't even know where to start. I guess I will create a Facebook page and Twitter account. How do I get follows?

Would anybody be interesting in adding me on Facebook and Twitter. I'm not that active, but if you follow me on Twitter, I will follow you back and retweet your posts if you send me a message to do so.

LadyEnnui

Registered
Reaction score
To get follows, you need to be able to post or reblog/tweet something people like. The more original/sincere/amusing you are, the better for getting followers. Assuming you are not an orphan or a loner, your first followers will be friends or family though.

I started my blog with nothing. Literally no friends or family and no information. I would hardly call it a success now, but I am impressed with how far I've come.

Just remember it's a long term investment. 7 months + and still going. :D

Jon W

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

What are your blogs based on?

I too am just starting out, mainly for fun and to get more writing experience than anything else.

LadyEnnui

Registered
Reaction score
I based my blog on personal life, so there's a lot about television shows, movies, games and occasionally personal anecdotes.

Even so, I still talk about my writing plans and a little bit about my ideas on the same blog. I've heard it is best to keep them separate, but I don't do enough fictional writing to warrant a separate blog... Maybe.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
tylermarab1987 for a platform you need a website/blog too. A place where people come to find out about your writing and you. A lot of writers have the combo - both doable on Blogger and Wordpress.

I don't have a facebook account so I have not info there. I do have a twitter account but don't use it that much. I find that it's hard to connect with people there.

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LadyEnnui, I started with nobody too. Mostly, cause I didn't tell my family and friends I was writing. My first posts have no comments. :(

tylermarab1987, The best way to gain followers on a blog is to visit like minded blogs, read, and comment on their posts. And follow them.

Things I learned early on, if someone does comment on your blog, leave a reply, and visit them back.

Jon take a look at similar blogs and see what gets people commenting. It will help to trigger ideas. As for me I post on a varies things but have found a few series that garner interest. I don't write about writing for writers (that's popular) but I do post on trouble I've run into or when I've gathered a bunch of info I'll share it -- like historical fiction research.

Oh and join a few bloghops. They can be exhaustion but they are a great way to get exposure and gain followers. I don't do them that often now, but I recommend them in the early stages of blogging.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
I just started a blog and am really struggling with it. I used my real name on my book and so I just named my blog the same. Now I feel pretty exposed out there and don't want to get too personal in my posts. Which leaves it writing-related. And how much can I put up there about that?

I do have Twitter and I find it hard to connect with people there, too. I feel like I'm sending out little commercial blips with no idea where they are landing if that makes sense.

I'm most comfortable on FB. I have a page there and did for a crochet business I used to have so I'm very familiar with all of it. I'm thinking about having a daily theme to help draw in conversation from fans as well as new fans. Something like having every Tuesday be a time for fellow authors who like my page to share their newest publication. Maybe Wednesdays be when I review a book I've read in the past week.

I will have to check out some bloghops. I know I need to do more with my blog but am feeling pretty overwhelmed right now lol

LadyEnnui

Registered
Reaction score
I gave up on twitter. The character limit is troublesome and atmosphere seems huge and unfriendly. You might have better results on tumblr though. I find it more active and less limiting. The people are really friendly and supportive though.

The problem with tumblr is that it is more about established pop culture and driven by images and video. I still get bites for my wordpress blog on tumblr.

Southpaw, I feel your pain about lack of comments. I pretend that people who visit and leave my blog are mostly content. It helps to have a separate stat counter to look at what is really going on. I just now enabled webmaster tools through google and bing.

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I will have to check out some bloghops. I know I need to do more with my blog but am feeling pretty overwhelmed right now lol

Yup! And then you read articles on how we need a tumblr and pinterest and blah, blah, blah. Ignore them, don't over extend yourself. You'll not only go crazy but have no time to to anything else.

Do whichever feels right and that will work best.

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Southpaw, I feel your pain about lack of comments. I pretend that people who visit and leave my blog are mostly content. It helps to have a separate stat counter to look at what is really going on. I just now enabled webmaster tools through google and bing.

I still look back at those posts and compare them to now (5 years ago). My writing, content, everything has changed, improved. Three months in I got about 7 comments per post. I was so excited! The following month it doubled. Then there was a lull, then ups and downs. A few posts have garnered lots of attention - they are using about blogging.:)

You are so right about looking at the behind the scene stats. I self host so I go look at the server stats. It gives me a much better picture. I can also see what are triggers for people searching the interwebs.

I don't think people like to comment on old stuff, 'cause they think you won't see it. So, if I see a topic's trending in my searches, I try to come up with a new take on it or find a similar topic.

Getting wordy here, but I'd also like to say I know one blogger (and many of you probably know him too) who gets 50-80 comments per post. That's a lot to keep up with. He visits everyone who comments. He's a ninja. I don't know if I could do that. I'm slow as it is. LOL

Last edited:

snowpea

Registered
Reaction score
I have started fairly successful tumblogs before and some of the things I have found that work:
Post interesting stuff.
Market to a particular crowd (eg know your audience).
Spamming is annoying, but some targeted advertising is not. Pick three or four places to offer an advertisement in a not so annoying way and submit to them. It also helps to know they will likely let you post it (ie, read the posting/submission rules).
Comment/like/follow other peoples' blogs or twitter whathaveyou.
Use tags wisely.