Wordpress Reblogs?

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Apparently wordpress has a "reblog" feature similr to tumblr. Maybe this is a new thing, r maybe it's old, I don't know. I've never seen it before. My actual question is that someone reblogged one of my posts, and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. Would it be inappropriate to ask her to take her reblog post down?

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
As far as I am aware, a reblog basically includes a link to your site and full credit for your writing. Therefore, it is essentially extra publicity for your blog more or less the same as a link (and I have had some weird links - I did an article about Hawaii 50 and found the Hawaiian tourist board had linked it from their webpage...).

Had they copied and pasted your blog content and posted it as their own then yes, that's bad and you have a right to have them remove it. As for a reblog... hmmm, in theory you can ask them to remove it but you have to see that from their point of view they are saying 'this is cool, read it!' rather than 'I wrote this' and you may come across as ungrateful for basically saying 'I don't want your luvs'.

At the very least you risk annoying one confirmed fan. At most you have potentially lost out on any extra fans who read her blog.

I am not sure but I think there may be a way to remove the reblog option from your blog. Look in the settings and see if it is there. Will stop the problem in future and limit fans to 'liking' on facebook, twitter etc rather than reblogging.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
The reblog of my post is the second "post" of two posts on their blog. It just seems really sketchy to me.

I do not believe there is a way to disable re-blogging, unfortunately, according to the wordpress support page. I understand why some people might light the feature. It's a pretty popular thing on tumblr, and twitter has retweets. I just don' care for it when it's not micro-blogging.

Thanks for the response, anyway.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
The reblog feature has been around for a while, not sure how long, but I've been running my blog for two years, and it's always been there.

I have it set so I have to "approve" before my posts can be reblogged, but I can't remember how I did it, what part of settings. Check on the wordpress forums.

:)

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Only an excerpt of your post will be published on the reblogger’s site and there's always a link back to your post, and you’ll receive a reblog notification in the post comments, so you'll always know who has done it and can check their blog out. If you don't like their blog, you can e-mail them or comment and ask them to remove it. I'm sure most people would.

There used to be a disable button in 'settings' 'sharing' but I can't find it now...

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
As far as I have used it, I've seen it there as well but havent used it

Moldy

Registered
Reaction score
Only an excerpt of your post will be published on the reblogger’s site and there's always a link back to your post, and you’ll receive a reblog notification in the post comments, so you'll always know who has done it and can check their blog out. If you don't like their blog, you can e-mail them or comment and ask them to remove it. I'm sure most people would.

There used to be a disable button in 'settings' 'sharing' but I can't find it now...

Yeah, it looks like it's just a small sample (maybe a paragraph?) of your text and a link.

I was kind of alarmed by it myself at first (if I wanted tumblr-style blogging, I wouldn't have a Wordpress) but unlike tumblr, they don't post the whole thing in its entirety.

Still, if you're not comfortable with it I think it's fine to ask them to take it down, and maybe put somewhere on your blog that reblogs are not wanted.

KokkieH

Making this up as I go along
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
Reblogging has been around for a couple of years now on WP.com and users are heavily divided about it. The biggest problem is certain "bloggers" who create entire blogs of only reblogged content. I report them as spammers whenever I find them. If someone reblogs a post it also transfers all media files you've added to that post to their media library.

But you can disable it to some extent. If you go to Settings ->Sharing in the dashboard you'll find the option toward the bottom to hide the reblog button in the admin bar. However, this will not prevent people from reblogging your posts directly from the Reader, so you can't disable it completely.

As has been mentioned, it only publishes an extract with a link to your site, and you can choose whether you want to approve or delete the pingback that's created to the reblogger's site. I also have a notice on my site asking people not to reblog, for what it's worth, but the Terms of Service actually state that you give permission for your posts to be reblogged by using the site, so there's little we can really do if someone reblogs something and you definitely don't have grounds for an official takedown request.