Registered
Reaction score
I liked "stories are about *someone* rather than *something*"

Last edited:

neicolec

Just getting started
Registered
Reaction score
I read a whole bunch of her posts on plot and scenes, then reworked the outline for my second book with all of that in mind. She has checklists, too, that definitely force you to think about your characters and story and ask good questions.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
Thanks for posting this. Adding—I actually went back and bookmarked the checklist she put a link to on her page. Good stuff.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
This was a great site - thanks for the recommendation! I really liked Novel Construction 101.

Was that on her site? I looked but couldn't find it anywhere.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
ohhh, this is great. I've book marked this for my editing phase. Thanks for sharing!

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Well, if Ms Lakin's advice helps you guys so much, don't forget to reciprocate--purchase services of some sort at some point. Full time writers are too busy writing to share what full time critiquers can share and for there to be full time critiquers like her there has to be some financial point to it too.
My two cents.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Well, if Ms Lakin's advice helps you guys so much, don't forget to reciprocate--purchase services of some sort at some point. Full time writers are too busy writing to share what full time critiquers can share and for there to be full time critiquers like her there has to be some financial point to it too.
My two cents.

Yes, waiting for someone to say this. Although her advice may be very helpful - and even lead many to publishing their work - she runs a business, too. She gets paid for editing and critiquing, etc. That's not a bad thing. We all have to make a living.

I have also researched her books and she's not a huge seller, but it seems she's able to put out a product and get it published.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
None of the writing coaches and counselors are hugely successful full-time writers, and that's quite fine. We do not expect chemistry teachers to be brilliant chemists, we do not expect P.E. teachers to be Olympic gymnasts, and we do not expect teachers of singing to be triple-platinum pop stars or venerated opera primadonnas.

(We certainly don't expect full-time successful writers to teach everyone for free like Uncle Jim does, but he's got a considerable halo over his head. You buy a short story of his yet, at least? I did, last week, from Smashwords.)

Knowing the basics is what counts. Teachers teach--their job is through knowing the basics to help you learn the basics too, faster and with less dead ends than if on your own. And if we want teachers to be good, if we want good people to go into teaching--there have to be rewards.

So I think that's the basic criteria: stuff that instantly makes sense plus at least one book or a few short stories published by legit publishers or self-published to considerable success--that's like seeing their higher education thesis/graduation certificate--means teacher is good.

Nothing published, or only with the likes of Publish America, or badly designed unedited crap self-published on Kindle--probably bad teacher, at best parroting stuff learned elsewhere on the net.

From what I saw Ms. Lakin looks of the good kind. Good luck to everyone.

Last edited:

lothar97

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I bought it on kindle. Good refresher for some camp NaNo today!

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
None of the writing coaches and counselors are hugely successful full-time writers, and that's quite fine. We do not expect chemistry teachers to be brilliant chemists, we do not expect P.E. teachers to be Olympic gymnasts, and we do not expect teachers of singing to be triple-platinum pop stars or venerated opera primadonnas.

(We certainly don't expect full-time successful writers to teach everyone for free like Uncle Jim does, but he's got a considerable halo over his head. You buy a short story of his yet, at least? I did, last week, from Smashwords.)

Knowing the basics is what counts. Teachers teach--their job is through knowing the basics to help you learn the basics too, faster and with less dead ends than if on your own. And if we want teachers to be good, if we want good people to go into teaching--there have to be rewards.

So I think that's the basic criteria: stuff that instantly makes sense plus at least one book or a few short stories published by legit publishers or self-published to considerable success--that's like seeing their higher education thesis/graduation certificate--means teacher is good.

Nothing published, or only with the likes of Publish America, or badly designed unedited crap self-published on Kindle--probably bad teacher, at best parroting stuff learned elsewhere on the net.

From what I saw Ms. Lakin looks of the good kind. Good luck to everyone.

I understand where you are coming from. However, Susanne Lakin is indeed a good egg. During her talk she shared zilch about any of her services and talked only about creating unforgettable scenes, using examples from well known writers rather than any of her own work.

iamscifi

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this! I've been reading through her blog for a week, haha.

neicolec

Just getting started
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I added her to feedly so now I get her new posts regularly.

Stanton

Registered
Reaction score
Excellent. I have subscribed to Ms Lakin's blog. There are so many 'how to' services out there. This is one of the best. I'd be interested in her editing service for my WIP when the time comes.

BekkahSmith

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I love CS Lakin! I have her latest writing to the heart of story book and it helped me tremendously. I am also reading her YA and it's been a fun read. She has a great website too. Thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.