Old problem, new PC

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So, I asked in here months ago about poor internet connectivity on my desktop PC. Basically, the connection kept dropping out periodically on the desktop, despite the net working just fine on my laptop.

I was given some advice in here (see below), and it helped temporarily, but never caused a long-term solution. Well, I have a new desktop now, and even that is having the same problem! Super frustrating! So, below is the advice I've already tried:

- Quick fix: use the following command from command prompt (requires elevation in vista or above):

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

- Heavy handed fix:

netsh winsock reset

and then reboot...

- Permanent fix:

assign each device a static IP in the router's configuration settings

So, I've tried the quick fix and heavy handed fix, and they only worked temporarily. I have not tried the permanent fix, because I do not know how to do it. So 2 questions:

1. How do I assign a device a static IP? I just have a standard WiFi modem all-in-one thing, and see no way of assigning IPs with it.
2. If I assign a static IP to one device (the desktop), do I need to do the same for every device (laptops, tablets, etc.) in the house?

Thanks in advance for any answers, and/or ideas for other things to try. This is driving me batty.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I think I found a video on YouTube for how to set a static IP... Still not sure if this needs to be done for every device, or just the ones that aren't connecting properly, though.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if you ever pursued the possibility of your wireless router being bad... I mention it because I just replaced mine (and by "just", I mean this is the first site I've visited on the new router ;) ). I did that because our internet connections were dropping out unexpectedly, and the sound of my daughter stomping down the stairs at 3 in the morning to reset the router, then stomping back up was getting a little old. Plus she's apparently learned some language from my wife... :Ssh:

Aaaaaaaaaaaanyway, there was definitely a problem with the wireless router, and although it's a thorough-going PITA to replace it and set up the home network again, I can already see it was worth it.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
But if the router/modem (it's an all-in-one thing, I think) was bad, then wouldn't even my laptop have trouble connecting? And I've never had problems on my laptop with internet connectivity.

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this addresses your "drop out" problem or not, but it could just be old wiring.

I have an ATT bundle: PC, phone, and cable TV. My signals kept dropping out, and nothing improved until they came out and installed new wiring. Seems the old wiring (coax) was for older technology. I haven't had a single glitch since.

Like I said, I don't know if that's your problem, but sometimes the simplest things are the answer.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
It's an all-new broadband network that's being rolled out across Australia. As in, we only got the stuff installed about 9 months ago. So I don't think the age of the wiring is the problem...

Anyone know if setting a static IP on my desktop will mean I'll have to set static IPs for all the other devices as well?

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
But if the router/modem (it's an all-in-one thing, I think) was bad, then wouldn't even my laptop have trouble connecting? And I've never had problems on my laptop with internet connectivity.

Not necessarily, the wireless cards in laptops are sometimes better than in desktops. But the wireless network card in the desktop may also be a problem. See if you can get a cheap usb wireless adapter and try that on the desktop.

Astormooke

Registered
Reaction score
I have worked with computers for about 5 years. I would say that your computer is not the issue,the fixes that were given to you before seem... Useful, but unnecessary, my guess is its your router. I can help just answer me these few questions before I can diagnose anything.

You say your laptop is connected to it as well? Is there anything else? (Ie Netflix device)

Is there anything plugged directly into the router? If so what is it?

What is the model and maker of your router? As well as your computer?

I'm not going to post my email here but I could respond faster that way. If you like fyou can PM me and I can get you squared away fairly quickly I am sure. ☺

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
My old desktop already uses a USB wireless adapter. Same problem.

The machines that connect to the internet in this house:

My desktop, my laptop, my tablet, mum's tablet, laptop and phone. We also both have Kindles which occasionally connect, and a wireless printer.

The problem has *only* been with my desktop - no other devices.

Nothing directly plugged into the modem/router. All wireless.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
The new desktop had a built-in WiFi thing. I mean, it was able to connect online for a few minutes when I first booted it up.

Anyway, after checking my IP settings on my laptop and old desktop, I hooked up the new desktop again and checked *its* IP settings. Well, it wasn't picking up properly, so I plugged in the USB adapter, and now... Now it seems to be working properly!

Not sure what the deal is, whether it will wind up being reliable connectivity or what. But for now, I'm making my inaugural AW post from the new machine. :)

Astormooke

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome that's great news! If it does end up failing just PM me I have an idea of what might be wrong.

Last edited:

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
There's something weird about the NBN hardware. Some computers just don't seem to talk well with it - my revived desktop is perfectly happy where my laptop was almost useless, and they're both using the same USB receiver. Mum's computer wouldn't connect no matter what we tried, so it ended up having to be plugged into an ethernet port. I suppose it must be some kind of issue with strict requirements for operating systems and drivers and maybe even the exact amount of power going to the wi-fi receiver. Half the time I think wi-fi is some kind of black magic and the real reason I can't connect is that I haven't made the appropriate sacrifices.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
How are you connecting your desktop to the modem? Cable or WiFi?

Astormooke

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking it might be a driver issue... When the USB was plugged in it may have downloaded the most current driver.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Siana, I know this might sound daft, but I'm glad to hear it's not just me having problems! New hardware teething pains, I suppose...

So far, using this USB WiFi adapter has solved the problem. Been connected for a few hours running now, which was usually about as long as the old desktop would stay connected (on a good day).

Oh, and to answer the admin question - WiFi adapter. Everything in this house is WiFi.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
There's also the common problem that reception of WIFI may not be good in certain places. switch to cable, if that's convenient.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, no McAfee, and cables are not happening. They wouldn't be convenient in the slightest. Besides - I seem to have fixed the problem by using this USB WiFi adapter.

Siana nailed it, I think - the NBN (new Aussie broadband hardware) just doesn't get along with some computers, and there's not much you can do about it.