Woman repeatedly complains about transgender woman in gym locker room, gets the boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think there's also this idea that...women won't notice a complete jackass oogling them in the locker room?

Because, honestly, I think I can tell the difference between a transwoman wanting to change her clothes or use the toilet and a jackass who thinks he can put on a dress to come see some bare T&A for his jollies.
That's what I was thinking, as well. Something about the vibes a perv gives off and their behavior would probably be a dead giveaway, having seen this in men's restrooms and locker rooms.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
(so does not want the clap -- certainly not from some bloke in a changing room)

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I think there's also this idea that...women won't notice a complete jackass oogling them in the locker room?

Because, honestly, I think I can tell the difference between a transwoman wanting to change her clothes or use the toilet and a jackass who thinks he can put on a dress to come see some bare T&A for his jollies.

Also, it's not like predatory behavior is acceptable if the perpetrator is a woman. If a trans woman is ogling women or harassing them, that's plenty of reason to ban her from the premises. Same thing with a cis woman (which, ironically, is what happened to the complainant in this case. She started harassing another woman, so she got banned).

So if a guy did dress up like a woman in order to gain access to the women's bathroom/locker room, it's not like his claim of being trans would give him immunity.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com

No, no, wimmenz is shy, modest, dim woodland creatures, ready prey for all those clever rapey cross-dressing gentlemen only pretending to be ladies that fevered imaginations seem to spend remarkable amounts of time fantasizing sweaty fantasies about.

It's as gross as all the heavy-breathing sweaty fantasizing a generation or two back about what would happen if black folk were allowed to live among white folk. Ye gods.

That's what I was thinking, as well. Something about the vibes a perv gives off and their behavior would probably be a dead giveaway, having seen this in men's restrooms and locker rooms.

This is what I thought as well. Creepy person will want to be creepy. Trans person will want to change clothes and enter/leave the gym.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Also, it's not like predatory behavior is acceptable if the perpetrator is a woman. If a trans woman is ogling women or harassing them, that's plenty of reason to ban her from the premises. Same thing with a cis woman (which, ironically, is what happened to the complainant in this case. She started harassing another woman, so she got banned).

So if a guy did dress up like a woman in order to gain access to the women's bathroom/locker room, it's not like his claim of being trans would give him immunity.

QFT

Harassment is harassment is harassment. Who's doing what to whom only matters when you're filling out the paperwork for the authorities.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
142139_original.jpg

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
The absurdity is that while a transgender person may be recognizable by their physical characteristics not matching the dressing room's designated sex, they may be totally into men - so no fear is warranted.
What about lesbians? While lesbians are obviously no more lecherous than straight women, lesbians are attracted in their fellow dressing room users' general direction. Now, good luck identifying a lesbian, and good luck having her removed because she actually MIGHT be perving on you - except, where to send a lesbian?

Dude, all this homo- and transphobia is so stupid the most offensive thing about it is that those idiots are allowed to make idiot babies and populate the Earth with more idiots. Darwin weeps.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Never heard of planet fitness. I don't know if that's because they're not in Canada, or if I'm just so opposed to gyms that they never touched my radar. (I've never ever seen the inside of a gym---don't judge me!)

But I'm thrilled that this happened. I'm going to share it with my cuz. She loves shit like this. Coming from a small small small (and small minded town) where she was practically chased out to its limits and beyond when she began to dress as a girl...this kind of stuff boosters her. Though, she is already one of the most powerful and confident women I've ever known. This is an excellent example of how things SHOULD be. Except, of course, for the mouth-breathing c*nt who raised a fuss in the first place. Long may she suffer hemorrhoids and syphilis. Or at least fall and break her face. Or something.

This would be a gym I'd be comfortable going to...if I were actually capable of going to a gym. The reason I don't go is actually because of my sexuality. Bathrooms and change rooms have always horrified me. I feel out of place in them. I actually faked a fucking disability in high school to get a doctor's note to keep me out of gym class. I was the only boy in grade 9 and 10 in my high school to get a gym pass. Even though it was part of the provincial curriculum and mandatory...I beat the system. They probably knew the terror I faced at going was more about the fact that I was a fairy than I was suffering over-dramatically from my mild case of scoliosis. But I digress. Sharing this story with my cuz now!

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
What, and leave the comfortable warrens of the 19th century!? Pshaw.

It's not 19th century stuff for me. For me, I just know nobody in their right mind would want to see me naked.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
It's not 19th century stuff for me. For me, I just know nobody in their right mind would want to see me naked.

That's my feeling too, but in my case, it's a result of coming of age in a culture where the first and foremost obligation for my gender is to be attractive, young, and slender. An out of shape, middle-aged woman? Eeeeewww!

Unfortunately, that's an aspect of our culture too :(

Seriously, though, whether or not someone I'm sharing a locker room with or showering next to might be gay, or transgender is so not on my list of worries. Why is it so hard to be polite to one another and not assume the worst? If someone's *really* a creepy guy getting his jollies and just pretending to be transgender, I think it would be pretty obvious. By definition, creepy guys are not subtle about their jollies.

Last edited:

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I think if, as a society, we were more chilled out about nakedness we'd be less worried about our idiosyncratic bodies and how they're miles away from the perfection we're supposed to aim for.

I say this as someone who scurries through the space between room and hot tub any time we're staying somewhere with one because I hate people seeing me in my swimming costume, let alone butt naked.

Well done to the gym for not putting up with bigotted bullshit. It's nice to hear good news on that front for once.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
I think if, as a society, we were more chilled out about nakedness we'd be less worried about our idiosyncratic bodies and how they're miles away from the perfection we're supposed to aim for.

Agreed. In art school, still a minor agewise, my poor, fragile soul was exposed to naked bodies as we drew live nudes. An old man, a fat woman, an androgynous skinny woman,... I did not need therapy afterwards, but many people gasp when I tell them. Like, take a chill pill it's just boobs.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I did some life drawing classes too and it was really interesting. I was about 18 and the first time was a bit weird and embarrassing but after that it was just the way it was. My drawing improved immensely!

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
UPDATE: Cormier's suing Planet Fitness for $25,000 for:

• A violation to her right to privacy — “a man used the locker room while Mrs. Cormier was using the locker room” — that caused her “embarrassment, humiliation, and severe emotional distress.”
  • A loss of gym facilities, fear about using the gym facilities, embarrassment and humiliation, severe emotional distress, damage to reputation, and “all other damages that reasonably flow from Defendants’ outrageous behavior.”
  • “Conduct and communication of a sexual nature.”
  • Wrongful termination of membership agreement and breach of contract.
  • The following “exemplary damages”: “aggravation, annoyance, discomfort, disgrace, feelings of oppression, humiliation, inconvenience, indignation, insult, mental anxiety, mental suffering, mortification, outrage, scorn, shame, sorrow, vexation, and worry.”
Cormier’s representation by Kallman Legal Group is likely not a coincidence. David and Stephen Kallman, a father and son team, already have a reputation for opposing LGBT equality in Michigan. In October of 2013, they submitted a legal memo challenging proposed LGBT nondiscrimination protections in Delta Township, claiming that the ordinance would violate others’ religious freedom. The memo compared homosexuality to extramarital sex, polygamy, pedophilia, serial killer rapists, necrophilia, bestiality, and incest and suggested that because gender identity is “internal to the person,” someone accused of discrimination would be required to be a “mind-reader” not to discriminate. Their suit against Planet Fitness for respecting how individuals self-identify their gender seems to disprove this last concern.
And according to other information in the comments, the woman who was harassed wasn't even changing clothes or nude in the locker room; she was only in there TO HANG UP HER COAT AND PURSE so she could exercise.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are judges allowed to bitchslap people who file frivolous lawsuits?

JalexM

Registered
Reaction score
It's strange people would think that lawsuits like that would work in this day and age.

Status
Not open for further replies.