Expats living in Sweden?

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
Hej! I just moved from the UK to Sweden two weeks ago and I am already finding it very lonely.

Any other expats on here?

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
I live about 20-30 minutes outside Norrköping, in Kolmården. Did you just live in one place, or did you move about Sweden?

My partner is Swedish, he moved to the UK 2 years ago but we both lost our jobs. We decided to move here since we couldn't afford the UK anymore.

I'm finding learning Swedish very difficult, even with a book and audio CDs, and I think that adds to the loneliness.

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
How are you doing Clementine? I've been thinking about you. Hope you're settling in!

Hellooooo! We got our stuff from the shipping company a few days ago so it's been crazy here. Settling in better now everything has arrived, I still need to sign up for SFI but I think we're sorting a personal number thing before that. It's slow goings at the moment but things are getting sorted! :D

filwi

Registered
Reaction score
A non-ex-pat in Sweden here. How'd you like Kålmården? There's a rather nice B&B there, right before you get to the Zoo. If you haven't got anything to do go try their afternoon tea!

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
A non-ex-pat in Sweden here. How'd you like Kålmården? There's a rather nice B&B there, right before you get to the Zoo. If you haven't got anything to do go try their afternoon tea!

It's nice here, very quiet and some stunning views. Can't wait for it to get a little greener! We live about half hour from the zoo, and I believe my partners sister used to work in there. We're planning a trip to the zoo when it opens in May, will have to stop and have a cuppa!

Ellesi

Registered
Reaction score
Avonlea, Fraser's Ridge, Bon Temps, Westeros
Hellooooo! We got our stuff from the shipping company a few days ago so it's been crazy here. Settling in better now everything has arrived, I still need to sign up for SFI but I think we're sorting a personal number thing before that. It's slow goings at the moment but things are getting sorted! :D

Good to hear!

Paragraphic

Word eater.
Registered
Reaction score
I moved to Sweden a little more than 5 years ago from the States. It can be hard in the beginning and isolating but it really does get a lot easier once you learn Swedish. I did SFI and then Komvux. Don't get me wrong, that can be frustrating too, but eventually the language just starts to click.

I was living in Umeå for a few years before moving all the way up to Kiruna. Both cities are beautiful, though, I admit, I miss Umeå quite a bit.

Do you have anything green growing in Kolmården yet? We have nothing but ice and more ice up here in Kiruna.

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
I moved to Sweden a little more than 5 years ago from the States. It can be hard in the beginning and isolating but it really does get a lot easier once you learn Swedish. I did SFI and then Komvux. Don't get me wrong, that can be frustrating too, but eventually the language just starts to click.

I was living in Umeå for a few years before moving all the way up to Kiruna. Both cities are beautiful, though, I admit, I miss Umeå quite a bit.

Do you have anything green growing in Kolmården yet? We have nothing but ice and more ice up here in Kiruna.

I still haven't gotten around to signing up for SFI - big oops on my part - we've had car trouble amongst other things going on. Before I got here I had no idea how crucial cars are to getting, well, anywhere. I've signed up for a personal number and am waiting to hear back on that. I think I read somewhere I need one to start SFI, but I'm not too sure on that.

Had to do a quick google of where you're living and oh my is it high up in Sweden! Can't get much closer to Finland and Norway. :D

It's starting to get very green here, although I'm told it's going to get greener! (Mind boggling, the UK is so grey.) It's also somewhat warm during the days but I'm still freezing through the nights. The UK has such mild temperatures compared to here, it's all little surreal still. I miss the snow, though - I've never seen so much of it my entire life!!

laazy

Epic procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Swedish summers are the green-iest thing ever. They are pretty great.
Hope you'll get to like it here.

Paragraphic

Word eater.
Registered
Reaction score
The person number is really important. It's pretty much an ID number and without it, you're kind of not a person in Sweden. haha Seriously, you need it for everything.

Before I got here I had no idea how crucial cars are to getting, well, anywhere.

Really? I haven't needed a car at all. I walk (or cycle in the summer) just about everywhere and if it's far out, I just take a bus. City buses in Sweden have been great (at least where I've lived and traveled).

And laazy is right, summers here are incredibly green. Just watch out for the swarms of mosquitoes.

You're down near Norrköping right? Have you been to Stockholm? I've spent some time in Skåne and it was pretty neat to be able to just hop on a train out to Mälmo or Hälsingborg. Are you able to do that from where you are to Stockholm?

I hope you the southern end of Sweden has a good summer so you can see how pretty it gets!