What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?, issue 2

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
I loved The 5th Wave, but my library doesn't have Infinite Sea so I'm dying to read the sequel. I could buy, but I'd have to buy both, because, well, that's how I roll. ;)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I have a shelf on my bookcase specifically for books that don't match: where I got the first as paperback and the sequel as hardback, where I borrowed one from the library, where I decided to do Kindle after the first book, where the publisher changed the cover style after I started buying the series... It was driving me nuts trying to figure out where they went (particularly when some were paperback and some hardcover), so I gave them their own shelf.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
Sage, if I had enough book shelves, I might have one of those, but maybe not. I won't even buy a new sequel if I bought the first in paperback. I have to have matching books.

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The library will get you every time.

"I'm just going to return books, not get new ones. Oops, 5 new books to read."

Heheh, I always borrow the maximum amount (10 books), even though I know I won't be able to read them all in the allotted time (what with all the books on my TBR pile and my Kindle and all) ...
Gotta love the library.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I currently have 37 books checked out from the library. I believe they allow up to 100 at a time.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I'm near the end of The Distance Between Lost and Found. I absolutely love it.

When was another good one. Oh, and Forget Me.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
RWM - 37? I only take what I can read in a few weeks for a couple of reasons. 1) I'm afraid I'll lose some 2) Can't read more than a few in two weeks anyway 3) If I'm holding on to a bunch, then other people can't read them and I feel selfish. We have a very small library with only 1 copy of each book. I always return a book I've finished that day or the next for this reason.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I usually take 5-8. That's how many I can carry out the door. I usually have to renew 1 or 2 and library books are the ones I'm willing to stop reading without fuss.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of which, I decided not to finish Gates of Thread and Stone. It was a NetGalley book, so mostly free. I was intrigued by the beginning, but after that I found it tedious, particularly the traveling scenes. I'm reading too many books at once and have too many I want to start to bother finishing this one.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
I'm stacking up on Netgalley titles too - I have been approved for four of my requests this week, so I'm all prepared for my Easter reading marathon. I won't have my computer/writing with me for 4-5 days while at my parent's wee cabin, so I plan on reading tons.
I haven't been to Netgalley since last summer, but a few of you in here mentioned it and made me remember my educator account there, and now I'm hooked.

Will read Stephanie Kuehn's "Delicate M0nsters" first.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
So jealous you get to read Delicate Monsters. That is on my TBR!!! I am the worst Netgalley user so they stopped approving me for books (LOL!) ;)

Currently reading M@k1ng Pr3++y, YA contemp about two sisters (Montana and Arizona, named for states their mom lived in) and how their dad has remarried 4 times and divorced 4 times, and their sister relationship; how it changes when Arizona goes off to college and Montana feels left behind. The writing so far is good but I am only 15% in so we'll see. Out in May :D

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! I got an ARC of We A1l Looked Up at work, so I'm finally reading YA again. So far it's sort of like "literary fiction meets The Breakfast Club meets an asteroid," and that's a good combo.

ETA: Several years ago in YA SYW I read an excerpt of a book with a concept seemingly quite similar to this one, and I liked it so much I kind of hoped this was it. But no, that was first person; this is third. The characters are totally different. Anyone remember that sample?

Last edited:

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
My library has switched to a new computer system. The slip they give you that tells you when to return the books now also tells you how much money you saved that trip by not actually buying the books. And there's a cumulative number for the year. I kind of got a kick out of that!

That is so cool! I reckon I've saved myself over £1k by borrowing library books for the last few years.

I prefer to own books too, but I can't afford to own all I read and I have NO shelf space. Books are piled on the floor in my bedroom. Friends of mine have an entire wall of their living room as book/dvd shelves. It's like 9' tall by 20' long. I love it! I get envious just looking at it. :)

Yeah, I've always liked to own books, but I have limited shelf space too.

I liked Cress's POV a ton more than Scarlet's, and I know a lot of people didn't like Scarlet.

I much preferred Cress's POV, but I didn't dislike Scarlet.

Going back to the library discussion, I can borrow up to 20 books at a time, plus 5 e-books. The most I've had out at any one go was 17. I'm quite fortunate in that there are at least 10 libraries within several miles of each other, so I've gone on library crawls a few times where I'll pick up any hot YA titles or YA books which take my interest. My top crawl in one day was 6 libraries (would've been 7, but one was closed), which resulted in the 17 books borrowed. :D

I try to rush through reading them as soon as I can so I don't have a stack of books cluttering my room. At the moment I have eight out on loan, but I'll be returning three, hopefully four, tomorrow. (Of course, that means I'll be visiting a library then so who knows how many books I'll walk out of the door with? ;))

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson. Overall, I enjoyed it, but Carson's portrayal of the main character's weight grated a bit. I like seeing an overweight character as a hero, but does she have to think about food constantly?

I'm overweight myself, and I don't spend every spare moment thinking about food, and I don't stuff my face at every opportunity. I feel like the portrayal of the MC perpetuated stereotypes about overweight people.

Apart from that, I enjoyed the story, and I'll probably read more at some point.

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
I might have a book buying problem...even though I support libraries in every way I can, I feel like buying books helps the industry, and it's a tax deduction. However, last year my book purchases added up to more than travel, so...it might be a problem. And I'm getting ready to have to have a second, specially made to fit YA books bookshelf built.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson. Overall, I enjoyed it, but Carson's portrayal of the main character's weight grated a bit. I like seeing an overweight character as a hero, but does she have to think about food constantly?

I'm overweight myself, and I don't spend every spare moment thinking about food, and I don't stuff my face at every opportunity. I feel like the portrayal of the MC perpetuated stereotypes about overweight people.

Apart from that, I enjoyed the story, and I'll probably read more at some point.

No judgement, you totally have the right to feel that way, but I personally really identified with Elisa because her relationship to food was so similar to mine. And I don't think it's a sin to show an overweight character this way. The problem may be that she is basically the only overweight fantasy MC in YA, so everybody's going to judge how she was portrayed by their experience, if overweight, or, if not, by what they think is a stereotype or is fat-shaming or is everybody's reality, whatever.

The problem isn't this one overweight character, whose experience matches mine but not yours. The problem is that there's only one, so there's no variety of experiences, so we look to the one and judge it.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Fuschia I had trouble with W3 @LL L00K3D UP. I really enjoyed it but never connected strongly to the characters and I wonder if teens will take to it. Felt like an adult novel to me, sorta aimed at teens? I don't know how to explain what was awry for me :)

I finished M@K1NG PR3TTY, and for the first time in ever posted a book review of it on my blog :tongue

I'm now reading Alice H0ffman's The River King. Not exactly YA but takes place at a MA boarding school about a loner boy and a scholarship girl, their friendship, and their school. I love Hoffman's writing/magical realism.

Everybody seems to love G1RL OF F1RE & TH0RN$. I read the first chapter and loved then got to the kidnapping and was 'meh'. I want to try again though. I tried to read it when it first came out (I think there was a craze of fantasy at the time?), but my crit partner (who hates fantasy) read it and loved this week so I want to try again. she usually only reads contemporary so! :D

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Fire & Thorns: liked the series better and better with every book!

Thumbs up for your bookcase, bethany :)

Yesterday, I completed an arc of Juliana Stone's S0ME KIND 0F N0RMAL, a YA romance, and I see why our China-travelling KTC liked it so much - it was quite terrific and deep, without being overly angsty or dramatic. Would definitely recommend!

Saving up the DELICATE M0NSTERS arc for Easter hols next week... along with a bunch of other books.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
The problem isn't this one overweight character, whose experience matches mine but not yours. The problem is that there's only one, so there's no variety of experiences, so we look to the one and judge it.

Oh yes this! Nothing against you, RWM, because I can totally see your point in this, but I have seen a lot of this lately. "Don't portray mentally ill people this way." "Don't portray disabled people this way." "Don't portray POC this way." If we had more portrayals of diversity in all forms then we could see these characters as individual representations of a diverse group.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes this! Nothing against you, RWM, because I can totally see your point in this, but I have seen a lot of this lately. "Don't portray mentally ill people this way." "Don't portray disabled people this way." "Don't portray POC this way." If we had more portrayals of diversity in all forms then we could see these characters as individual representations of a diverse group.

Yeah, I think the biggest problem is that she's the only character with weight issues. So it ended up feeling like it wasn't the most nuanced look at weight.

Maybe I'm just oversensitive because I hate the attitude many people have toward overweight people. They act as if the only way you can be overweight is if you eat half a dozen donuts for breakfast and McDonalds for lunch every day.

I guess I was also a little put off by her transformation. She loses weight, and suddenly she's beautiful and confident. Why can't she be beautiful and confident when she's overweight?

All that being said, I still enjoyed the book. The weight thing was only a minor annoyance.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I was also a little put off by her transformation. She loses weight, and suddenly she's beautiful and confident. Why can't she be beautiful and confident when she's overweight?

Agreed! I'm not really fond of transformation stories that don't see value in the person originally. And what is overweight anyway? Doctors don't even have it down to a science. People can not look like Barbie and still be healthy and beautiful.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I'm really late to the game on this, but I'm reading The Archived by Victoria Schwab. I just started it yesterday and I'm already almost half done. I'm just breezing through it.

I wasn't even supposed to pick this up. I went to the library to return the short stack that I had out. I ended up walking out with three more books. Even though I picked them up, I promised myself that after I finish The Archived, I will read the ARC I got in the mail last week. I've never received an ARC, so I'm super excited.