First Book Fair - How Many Books To Order?

AnthonyJones

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm attending my first book fair here in Houston, and I need some advice from anybody who has gone through one before.

It's more of a local fair. There will be around 100 authors, bookstores, and small publishers.

I'm also told to expect between 2500 to 3200 guests.

I don't want to order too many copies. And I certainly don't want to run out.

What do you guys think, especially those with book festival experience :)

Thanks in advance!

Anthony Wade

Lizzie7800

Registered
Reaction score
I've been told no less than 20, I have my first book fair coming up so this is not firsthand knowledge. (I ordered 50 to be safe, I'll sell them regardless of it's at this fair or somewhere else. I sell several a week locally.)

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
This is a tough question.

How many of those 3200 guests are interested in your genre?

What percentage buy books every year?

The organizers should be able to give you more information.

Bring lots of business cards with you, and if you don't have cards that are specifically about your books, get them made. You should hand out at least 500 cards if there are 3200 people coming...

Collect business cards as well. Put a fishbowl on your table with a signup for your mailing list. Make it clear that you will be giving away FREE BOOKS for entering the drawing, and that the drawing entries will go on your mailing list.

Most of all, enjoy yourself.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
That's so exciting! I definitely second the business card idea. I havne't been able to do it yet as an author, but I've attended events as a reader, and collecting cards with covers on them really reminds me to actually order the book.

AnthonyJones

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I definitely plan on getting some business cards made. And I sent an email asking for more info. and how many books most of their authors bring :)

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone has anything to share. I've got my first book fair coming up. I need to know how many books to bring as well. I'm hoping some of the people at the beginning of the thread can give me a heads up.

Also, I have a very limited budget. What can I do to garner some attention at my table?