Cloud Backup recommendations?

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Hello, lovely Tech Help croud.

I'm planning to upgrade my current set-up from backing up specific folders on Dropbox and Google Drive to an entire PC cloud backup with versioning.

To that end, I'm looking for the best cloud backup service offering unlimited storage at a reasonable price with monthly payments -- I've looked at old posts here, and a ton of online articles, but most were written in 2014 and 2013 and I'm paranoid the state of things has changed.

(I haven't pinpointed exactly how much data I'll be backing up once I remove my media, program files and games from the equation -- between 50GB -- 100GB of crucial files, at a guess? At the moment I was planing on just backing up everything on an unlimited plan but if it works out cheaper to just backup key areas I'm open to other options. I'm a cheapskate.)

So far I'm looking at...

Crashplan: Biggest and most reputable, cheap for unlimited storage and has a great family plan, but lots of complaints about slowdowns with it running.

BackBlaze: Seems to be the popular alternative, and prices are pretty decent though a wee bit steeper than Crashplan.

Carbonite: Saw this one mentioned a lot but it seems to only offer yearly plans now.... :(

Zoolz Backup: Seems new so I don't have too much confidence in it, but the pricing schemes are pretty friggin' good.

Are these the big players, or am I missing some new arrivals?

Last edited:

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Mega is not feature loaded, but it does offer 50gigs of free cloud storage.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Mega is not feature loaded, but it does offer 50gigs of free cloud storage.

Oooh, thanks Deepthought -- I'll check it out! The connection to Megaupload makes me a bit uneasy, simply because I remember how much that site used to harass you to buy a membership, but the security features sound really snazzy.

Do you use it Deepthought? Have you ever had any issues with the sync, or any slow running?

EDIT: Hm, actually, Lifehacker's discussion on the less-than-stellar security features gives me pause for thought.

Last edited:

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Google drive:
The first 15GB are free
100GB is $1.99 per month
One terabyte is $9.99.
You can enable sms verification for unauthorized logins, and it syncs with all the other google services.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to be one of those who recommends cloud backup. But King Neptune's references should not be ignored. You could be trading reliability for security. Or vice versa.

The big thing with cloud backup is that you now have a data recovery option that isn't dependent on your location when you need it. If you're clear across the country when a lightning strike zoinks your hard drive, you can get the drive replaced, one way or another. You can get the operating system installed, one way or another. But your data... even if you bring a backup drive with you, the drive is potentially susceptible to whatever it was that made you need it in the first place.

Security isn't making your system immune. The security landscape is just too dynamic to ever achieve that. Security is about being aware. Always aware. So know the risks, take the precautions that make sense for you.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I don't even have a single gig of critical files, so backup is easy for me.

filwi

Registered
Reaction score
I've used Crashplan for three years now, no problems with slowdowns (and I've got a pretty old computer). Only thing I had trouble with is that it caps the upload speed in standard settings. I had to go into the settings and remove the cap when I started uploading or it would have taken forever.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

If you are concerned about security, then cloud storage is not for you. Search more and you will more negative comments about cloud storage.

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/...ll-needs-a-lot-more-work-say-European-experts
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11407936

Hi King Neptune, thanks for your comments. Just to be clear here, when I say this is a backup I mean it -- cloud storage will not be my primary storage solution. I already use my local hardware and Dropbox/Google Drive, I just want a third level of backup because... well, neither local hardware or free cloud storage is failsafe.

Cloud backup has its flaws, but it's hard to beat it for a cost-effective off-site backup. Robjvargas hit the nail on the head.

Wow. I don't even have a single gig of critical files, so backup is easy for me.

Lucky! I have a lot of photos with sentimental value, plus I do graphic design and illustration work and the files for that are huuugeee.

Google drive:
The first 15GB are free
100GB is $1.99 per month
One terabyte is $9.99.
You can enable sms verification for unauthorized logins, and it syncs with all the other google services.

Thanks Ave! That's a really good price, but (as much as I love their services!) I'm trying not to rely too much on the Google ecosystem.

McAfee Online Backup. $60/y. No size limits. (http://home.mcafee.com/store/online-backup)

Norton/Symantec Online Backup. $55. 25G, 5 PCs. ( http://ca.norton.com/online-backup )

Mozy Backup. ( http://www.mozy.com )

-cb

Thank you cbenoi!Some great options there. Mozy is looking REALLY tempting -- a little pricey, but it's ticking all the boxes for desired features -- but I think SpiderOak beats it for features & price balance.

I'm going to give the SpiderOak 2gb free trial a spin to see how it suits me, but I'll still check in here if anyone has further thoughts.

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Hi King Neptune, thanks for your comments. Just to be clear here, when I say this is a backup I mean it -- cloud storage will not be my primary storage solution. I already use my local hardware and Dropbox/Google Drive, I just want a third level of backup because... well, neither local hardware or free cloud storage is failsafe.

Cloud backup has its flaws, but it's hard to beat it for a cost-effective off-site backup. Robjvargas hit the nail on the head.

If there are any files that you wish to keep private, then breaches of that privacy are what you should worry about. Neither is failsafe for sure.

Good luck

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I have a couple of gigs of photos I don't want to lose, but I keep them on matching DVDs, one stored here, and one away from home. A DVD will hold almost five gigs now, and this is more than enough for me.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
If there are any files that you wish to keep private, then breaches of that privacy are what you should worry about. Neither is failsafe for sure.

Good luck

Thanks King Neptune. As it stands, I'm more worried about the potential for data loss than the potential for a security breach -- a hard-drive failure is somewhat more likely, and will impact me a lot more. But I appreciate your very valid points. :)

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks King Neptune. As it stands, I'm more worried about the potential for data loss than the potential for a security breach -- a hard-drive failure is somewhat more likely, and will impact me a lot more. But I appreciate your very valid points. :)

I agree on that, but there are people who are concerned with keeping prying eyes away. That is why businesses are very shy about using the cloud.