The Fellowship Cafe

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I made my Corned Beef & Cabbage in the crockpot early this morning.

It was ready and oh, so delicious by the time we got back home from Church. :)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Today's Generation Gap Moment: Driving into work I heard a perky song about the Crucifixion.

:Wha:

I am obviously not the target demographic for this band. :tongue

Then again, I have vivid memories of being a wee Catholic School Kindergartener singing "O Sacred Head Surrounded". :scared:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Minor rant divided into two parts:

A former crit group member held a signing of her SP inspirational poetry today at the local Christian "bookstore".

Part the first: 1/6 of the store was devoted to books. 3/4 of that space was Bibles, Bible studies, and devotionals. (Nothing wrong with those, but a little out of balance, perhaps?) The rest of the store was crammed with statuettes, posters, CDs, cards, knickknacks, gewgaws, and assorted expensive kitsch. Why bother calling it a bookstore then? Call it something that reflects its true nature!

Part the second: Of the fiction shelved, 90% was either Amish romance or bonnet romance. I saw a couple Perettis and Dekkers, and a few Kingsburys. Again, nothing wrong with bonnet romance if that's your thing. I like manga. Not throwing any stones here. :) But, people, whatever happened to variety? No wonder it's so difficult to get pubbed in the C-fic world.

:gaah

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Bookstores Sans Books

Calla, our local B&N is like that. Of the probably 3,000 SF of floor space, probably a good 3/4 of it is devoted to "not books."

I no longer even set foot in our local Family Christian store because of all the stuff I've heard called "Jesus Junk."

Their single shelf of C-fic is limited to the usual suspects and the bonnet books. I can't find Ingermanson, Morrissey, Eakes, or a host of others who I know are still publishing through the larger trade publishers. What's the excuse, I wonder?

When I'm elected Queen, my first edict is that Book Stores Must Sell Books. Any store not meeting my percentage criteria will be put in the stocks.

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
Part the second: Of the fiction shelved, 90% was either Amish romance or bonnet romance. I saw a couple Perettis and Dekkers, and a few Kingsburys. Again, nothing wrong with bonnet romance if that's your thing. I like manga. Not throwing any stones here. :) But, people, whatever happened to variety? No wonder it's so difficult to get pubbed in the C-fic world.

:gaah

Sounds like Lifeway Christian Bookstore! LOL. Dime! (And a few others I've been to...)
And there's absolutely NO WAY my interracial christian romances would EVER end up on those shelves because, you know, variety ain't their thing...hahaha

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Blessed Good Friday, everyone.

"Stond wel, Moder, under rode,
Bihold thi child wyth glade mode;
Blythe, Moder, mittu ben."
"Sune, quu may blithe stonden?
Hi se thin feet, hi se thin honden
Nayled to the harde tre."

"Moder, do wey thi wepinge:
Hi thole this ded for mannes thinge;
For owen gilte tholi non."
"Sune, hi fele the dede stunde;
The swerd is at min herte grunde,
That me byhytte Symeon."

"Moder, reu upon thi bern:
Thu wasse awey tho blodi teren,
It don me werse than mi ded."
"Sune, hu mitti teres wernen?
Hy se tho blodi flodes hernen
Huth of thin herte to min fet."

"Moder, ny y may thee seyn,
Bettere is that ic one deye
Than al mankyn to helle go."
"Sune, y se thi bodi swngen,
Thi brest, thin hond, thi fot thur-stungen
No selli thou me be wo."

"Moder, if y dar thee tellen,
Yif y ne deye, thu gost to helle;
Hi thole this ded for thine sake."
"Sune, thu best me so minde.
With me nout; it is mi kinde
That y for thee sorye make."

"Moder, merci, let me deyen,
For Adam ut of helle beyn
And al mankin that is forloren."
"Sune, wat sal me to rede?
Thi pine pined me to dede;
Let me deyn thee biforen."

"Moder, mitarst thi mith leren
Wat pine tholen that childre beren,
Wat sorwe haven that child forgon."
"Sune, y wot y kan thee tellen,
Bute it be the pine of helle,
More sorwe ne woth y non."

"Moder, reu of moder kare,
Nu thu wost of moder fare,
Thou thu be clene mayden man."
"Sune, help alle at nede,
Alle tho that to me greden —
Mayden, wyf, and fol wyman."

"Moder, y may no lenger duellen;
The time is cumen y fare to helle,
The thridde day y rise upon."
"Sune, y wyle withe funden.
Y deye ywis of thine wnden;
So reuful ded was nevere non."

When he ros than fel thi sorwe:
The blisse sprong the thridde morewe
Wen blithe, Moder, wer thu tho.
Moder, for that ilke blisse
Bisech ure God, ure sinnes lesse,
Thu be hure chel ayen hure fo.

Blisced be thu, quen of hevene,
Bring us ut of helle levene
Thurth thi dere sunes mith.
Moder, for that hithe blode
That he sadde upon the rode
Led us into hevene lith. Amen.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I thought this was really awesome.

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-washes-womens-feet-break-church-law-002454620.html

ROME (AP) — In his most significant break with tradition yet, Pope Francis washed and kissed the feet of two young women at a juvenile detention center — a surprising departure from church rules that restrict the Holy Thursday ritual to men.

What a gesture of love and kindness! The article goes on to of course say that conservatives don't appreciate the Pope's gesture, but this is EXACTLY what Jesus did!

"This is a symbol, it is a sign. Washing your feet means I am at your service," Francis told the group, aged 14 to 21, at the Casal del Marmo detention facility in Rome.

"Help one another. This is what Jesus teaches us," the pope said. "This is what I do. And I do it with my heart. I do this with my heart because it is my duty. As a priest and bishop, I must be at your service."

I'm not Catholic, but so far, I like this Pope. If this is what he represents - going out and not just wearing some fancy robes and hats and preaching, but rather demonstrating Jesus' kindness and love - then I'm really pleased with the decision to name him Pope.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...I'm not Catholic, but so far, I like this Pope. If this is what he represents - going out and not just wearing some fancy robes and hats and preaching, but rather demonstrating Jesus' kindness and love - then I'm really pleased with the decision to name him Pope.

Ditto!

Enjoy the remainder of this glorious Holy Week everyone. :Hug2:

Nawlins

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Catholic, but so far, I like this Pope. If this is what he represents - going out and not just wearing some fancy robes and hats and preaching, but rather demonstrating Jesus' kindness and love - then I'm really pleased with the decision to name him Pope.

He's interesting, but I will be surprised if he strays from the JP2/B16 lockstep. Francis became a cardinal in 2001 under JP2, who'd been busily elevating to cardinal only men who believed as he did, rather than only men who demonstratrated holiness as true men of God. By 2001, JP2 was pretty ill, if memory serves, and B16's power was growing. Anyone who passed the political litmus tests of the papal team of JP and B would not be likely to make any major changes to social teachings of the church.

That said, Francis *is* a Jesuit, and they are noted for being thorns in the sides of the RC hierarchy -- and Francis has proven difficult to manage already in his papacy. He comes to Rome with baggage and a skeleton or two in his closet, I gather, but if he is sincere in his love for God and others - and open to the action of the Holy Spirit - we may see some movement toward the reforms of Vatican II.

Eddie A.

Registered
Reaction score
I have written Biblical fiction. My first novel was Biblical fiction, written in 2001. In a few weeks it will be available in Kindle format . I have written a YA novel Christmas story that is currently with Tanglewood Publishers. I have not received a rejection yet, so they may be considering it.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I hope they do, Eddie! And :welcome:. :)

Happy almost Easter, everyone. Big preparations here. I'm in charge of our big Easter bash at church and I'm pretty tuckered out. Tomorrow at this time I'll be relieved and... well, asleep, probably. :)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
You can do it, jude!

Have you informed the husband and kids that they're on their own as soon as everything's finished? Or that they're "volunteering" to give you footrubs and make dinner? :D