Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiskel

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
High above the rooftops...swinging from web to web
Hi all

A novice question i'm afraid. I can't find an obvious answer in the forum, or at least not all of the answer.

I'm almost ready to query a novel. It's humorous fantasy. The two main characters are a blue teddy bear and a doll (wooden skin, fairly human characteristics) Supporting cast include a rabbit, wooden steogsaurus and some imaginary friends. It's a hopefully humorous fantasy word where all these things have human characteristics and a degree of civilisation (except the wooden dinosaurs who are on four legs)

I'm not looking for a cover artist, but I do toy with the idea of expanding my concept into a free blog written from the main characters POV. If i do this i'd be looking for illustrations to accompany some blog entries and some bigger pieces of artwork to headline the site and title page, maybe a few character bio pieces. typically on a "detective" theme.

I'd be looking for cartooney sort of artwork but would prefer a level of detail closer to pixar than bugs bunny.

I'm not looking for an artist right now, I work with children with mental health problems and some of them can really draw. I'd actually quite like to work with one of them but want to make sure any working relationship is fair.

So, if i struck up a relationship with someone over a period of time and wanted to:

1. Use their artwork on a free website (that may at some point generate money through bits of advertising.)

2. Consider using them as a cover artist in the future (if I'm lucky enough to progress to publication)

3. Consider turning the artwork into promotional items, postcards, posters and stuff that would attract attention if I ever try and flog the book from a table at a converntion

What's a fair contract?

I'm asking here as I definately want to be fair if i do work with a teenager getting their first project as they probably won't know and will probably underprice their work.

I'm happy with a scaling contract or percentage one if things ever progress beyond a free website.

Would welcome your ideas

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.