Captain Power's Party Dirigible (complete with disco pool!)

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic and the history, Ruth. I didn't know that.

We used to go to the balloon races in Colorado Springs. Only thing worth getting up before the crack of dawn.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Yay! An adventure!

I've heard, or maybe I read it some where, or it was mentioned on a blog, or I just made it up, that balloonists hate dirigibles. HATE THEM. Much like sailors hate motor boats (I really don't know if they do), or bikers hate automobiles (this is true, especially in San Francisco). Because of the motors. It's cheating, they say (I assume).

If that's true (and I'm not really sure about that, like I said), then I think they'd hate Wonkavators even more, and not only is Smish in terrible danger, but so are we. Aaaaaahhhhh! They're throwing champagne bottles at us!

Oh, wait. Cheers!

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I'm up for an adventure. Lemme pack the essentials. Baileys. Okay, ready to go. :D

Balloon-Race-2.jpg

Careful... don't hit the balloons, timp! The Great Forest Park Balloon Race is today. They sometimes go right over my house.

By the way, do you know why early balloonists carried champagne?

It was because back in the late 18th c., balloons lifted off in cities, but drifted into the countryside. The rural people didn't know balloon flight was possible. They assumed it was some sort of unnatural phenomenon, and attacked the balloonists with pitchforks. The pilots carried champagne or wine to prove that they were from a wine-producing area, and thus from earth and not demons from another world.
That is in an interesting bit of history, didn't know that. They were crazy back in the 18th century. Like the demons from another world couldn't of picked up a few bottles of wine at the local off-licence.

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
IGNORE THE SMISH MIRAGE. The adventure is still on!
And those balloons are awesome. :)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sheila has an agent! Time to rock the party dirigible. :PartySmil

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome! About time somebody had a bit of good news to share.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
OMGosh! Wow, good for you!!! Who is the lucky agent? What manuscript did she pickup?

Here's hoping the rest of the process goes quickly!!!

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Agreed, that's one of the few that stuck with me.

Didn't that start out as a contest entry? Or maybe it was just around the same time; I don't recall, but I remember the story!

(and I agree with Judy too, that's it's about time we got some good news around here)!

:partyguy:

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It started as a writing prompt. I resurrected that specific prompt for this month's prompt. It's had lots of success, so give it a go! :D

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
It started as a writing prompt. I resurrected that specific prompt for this month's prompt. It's had lots of success, so give it a go! :D
That's right, one of the few prompts I actually completed. Although I don't recall my own prompt, I do remember the School for Minions--obviously you need a memorable book to get an agent.

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
CONGRATS, SHEILA! Friends from all over are flying in to celebrate your awesome news! :)

bp13.jpg

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LooK! A hot air balloon parade!

I love hot air balloons. :)

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Sheila. I'm waving from that yellow one over on the right. Can you see me?
Just wanted to say congratulations once again on your agent acquisition.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
:hi:

Hi sissybaby! Thanks again. I'm super excited. She's going to send me some notes this week I think. I'm a little nervous about that. It's funny, each of the agents I talked to had different suggestions about the story, and different things they wanted to fix.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
It's not directly writing related, but just thought I'd let you all know that I've got an interview on Monday! It's a waiting job for a classy restaurant in town.

Here's hoping I get it so I can focus in writing in my free time and NOT feel guilty, lol!

Dave

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not directly writing related, but just thought I'd let you all know that I've got an interview on Monday! It's a waiting job for a classy restaurant in town.

Here's hoping I get it so I can focus in writing in my free time and NOT feel guilty, lol!

Dave

Good luck at your classy restaurant interview. My sweetie used to be a waitress at Royal Opera House. Tips like crazy!