Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

5398cane

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I used to be terrified when i would have friends or beta's read my work, but after i never got responses back the nerves died away

Not to be naive but why would anyone not respond ? As somsone who enjoys to beta I dont get that. There has been some stuff that well, I just could not read but I still was honest.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't get it either, guess they got busy or whatever. Sent my first book out to 37 different Beta readers that i acquired in the last three years, based on adds on AW or asking people in the Willing Beta Reader thread. 30 never responded back. 1 got through the whole thing and 4 who made it half way or less, then never responded and 2 (you being included) who nicely told me they couldn't continue for the moment. But then you came back and are reading it now. (at least i think these were the numbers, honestly i try not to think about it much)

It has been a really horrible last 4 years with my confidence in this area, but so far things are looking up. I got a editor buddy from here reading it and severely helping me out, you, the 1 person who actually finished it, and 1 other person who did finish it but bashed it to shreds.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I see it as my duty to finish any betaing I volunteered to do (and I don't beta when I don't volunteer, especially not after getting burned by the last "I'd love to beta yours, and do you want to read mine too?" where I did the work for them and never heard back from the person again), but I have had people never get to the novel. Sometimes they warn you ("Hey, my house just burned down, I can't get to it") and that's cool, but sometimes it's just silence and you have to decide whether to pursue it or not.

Usually I have 4-8 betas going, so it doesn't matter as much if one never gets back to me. If several don't, though, that is a little telling.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
had that happen to me too, the swap where they don't get back to you. But i understand if people get busy, that's fine, just would be nice for a heads up.

Yeah after 20 some people dont respond i really thought i was a horrible writer... and gave up for a while, but then the people who did respond to at least half, said they loved it and such... so then i thought they had to be lying right? So i rewrote the book AGAIN! (around the 6th time that point). Then sent it out more, and still got people who didn't reply... then i got really depressed... and thought it had to be because of my problem with grammar, so i tired (for the millionth time) to find a way to fix that. Then Finally the editor buddy came along, and her comments have been incredible, and she seems to be really liking it, and my mom (not that that really means anything) really loved it, and my Ex really loved it. So I really dont know anymore who is telling the truth and who is lying or if i just have really bad luck with beta's or if I'm just really a horrible writer.

But i guess everyone feels this way? Who knows.

5398cane

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I have a story question.

I have a chaacter who is a user of magic. Magic is not good or bad it just is, people can decide what to do with it. She is wholly a good person but is not afraid to do bad things. Adding here she is not the MC. So anywhy she is sort of a protector of children. And there are some kids she just clicks with. I want to have her mark these kids as "protected". I was thinking a small tatoo on the back of the neck, maybe a brand. Accepting the pain for the trade off is already written in.

Is branding, or tatooing too dark ?

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I think i would depend how old the kids are. If were talking like grade school might be a little too dark, but if there teens, i dont see anything wrong with that. Also is it like a tattoo in our world sense, or where she just like taps the back of there neck and some symbol appears?

5398cane

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Tatoo like in our world sence, not a poof there it is. But not with a tatoo gun either. Kids will be all ages. Very yong to some that are now adults.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Well i wouldn't say its extremely horrible or anything. And if its small i cant see the harm of it really, but that's just my opinion. I think its a scary a five year old has a tattoo, but if its to keep the kid safe or something, then i think its fine.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You're still writing to teens, right? Then it's not a problem, IMO.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
So the friend who was reading my MS finally wrote back to me...on FB. *sigh* She did write "H0ly sh1+!" on my wall and said she would get back to me with actual comments/feedback in the next few days.

Hopefully the cursing was a good thing? lol. :Shrug:

Also, I don't think tattooing is too dark. But then again I write about teens murdering people and doing horrible nasty things. So I don't know if you can trust my judgement

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
So the friend who was reading my MS finally wrote back to me...on FB. *sigh* She did write "H0ly sh1+!" on my wall and said she would get back to me with actual comments/feedback in the next few days.

Hopefully the cursing was a good thing? lol. :Shrug:

Also, I don't think tattooing is too dark. But then again I write about teens murdering people and doing horrible nasty things. So I don't know if you can trust my judgement

I write the same sort of thing, sooooo yeah maybe my judgement is off too...

And I think that's a good sign!

Morning everyone! How is everyone doing today?

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
hahahaha yay!

I'm stuck at work... seriously debating if i want to skip class tonight for really no reason other then i really really don't feel like going...

5398cane

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I can tell you for a fact if it was not payroll I would not be at work today.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
The way i think of it. I have an A in the class as of right now, and have only missed one other because i was sick. Plus today i just DO NOT feel like dealing with people read there stories and me have to smile and say nothing while others go on for hours about "sybolism" i'm sure was never intended upon, and start making up bullshit meaning for things as though they actually know what they are talking about.

This class makes me sooooooooooooooooooo glad i'm not an English major... I just wouldnt survive.

had to read FREAKs out loud for my class to critique it. I was actually expecting the worst. But turns out it wasnt all that bad. Majority said they really liked it but some comments the people said such as "This doesnt make sense as a short story" (first off already said and wrote on the top of paper, it was part of a book) "The symbolism of how city life is so empty is awesome" (WHAT??? Uh the world was taken over there is no symbolism.) there were more funny ones.

By the end of every class i feel like I'm the worst writer in the world because i don't follow all the "Rules" and sulk for like a day. Today i'd rather skip all that stuff.

5398cane

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
If you cant join them, beat them with a bat til they quit wiggling.

Either way problem solved.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAH! I really want to make that my new motto in life!!!

I'm decided... skipping class. You know what the saddest part of this tale is? The fact i feel skipping class for a day makes me a badass, I really seriously need to get a real life.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
My usual answer is nothing. But tonight there is ACTUALLY a change!!! I'm going bowling with friends when they get back from our colleges version of Prom. Apparently there are 24 hours bowling places!

Haven't gone out with friends in forever! It feels like forever since i even had fun!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Just sent out my release party invites. I guess it's official. I'm having a party!

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry in advance for the attack of the smileys. It is a problem for me in general, lol,but especially when I am in a good mood.

Yay - I love parties! *virtual dances with you*:partyguy:

Tomorrow I'm going to the beach 'cos its going to be like 75 degrees out! WAHOO~! :Sun:

I also got my friend's notes for my WIP and she said she loved it!:hooray: She also told me she loved my main character and her love interest. :banana:

Happy weekend, everyone.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My party's going to be like 10 people, but that's cool. I'm going to get them light-up heart necklaces and we're going to play exquisite corpse, and that's all the plans I have, lol

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
It still something to celebrate, and sounds like a fun time. Congrats

Status
Not open for further replies.