The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having a baby in January... woot woot!

Congratulations, AJ!

I fully agree with Nate. If W1S1 becomes something that ends up derailing other things, then modification is in order. It should be something fluid that you can use rather than something rigid that blocks other opportunities.

And congrats again on the happy news!

Shelley

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
So I'm thinking I might drop down to the 2-a-month version of W1S1. I am getting my butt kicked by the novels I'm also supposed to be writing/revising, and I need to get them out ASAP.

I'm having a baby in January... woot woot! And I'd like to make some real progress on my writing career (or at least, give it a good attempt!) before then...
Everything in perspective, right? If 2 a month works better, do that. I'm thinking of dropping to 1 a month myself, depending on the outcome of certain other things going on at the moment.

And congrats on baby! :)

I wrote 400 words last night, starting with a prompt from the Flash Fiction Challenge. Not heaps of words, but it's a start :)

Last edited:

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
Congrats on the baby. Life changers, those kids.

I'm having a baby in January... woot woot! And I'd like to make some real progress on my writing career (or at least, give it a good attempt!) before then...

I'm trying to finish up a story for Future Lovecraft. This is my third attempt.

Is it wrong that I'm starting new stories rather than heavily edit old ones?

Last edited:

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the baby, Always July!

That's lovely news, a whole new life for the world. :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Bah. Still listening to crickets.

And, since my internet is being weird, I'm also sitting on the front porch with the mosquitoes. (And by "my internet" I really mean, my neighbors wireless connection.)

I've gotten a good chunk knocked out of the sci-fi western. And part of a new scene on the high-fantasy-anti-hero-in-Victorian-setting tale. I'm really hoping to get the western finished by tomorrow so I can start building back up my "write 1" tally. But progress is progress even if I haven't reached "The End" on a story in well over a month. >_<

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

Congratulations and a HH9M! Is this your first? (You'll get very good at typing one-handed! :))

-Suzanne

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guess what.

I wrote a story!

Idea to first draft (1k) in...9 hours? Something like that. It's an odd one, but it works...I think.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Yay, Annie! Good stuff! :)

And w00t, Aggy!

I've had another week of seemingly being without time while not actually doing very much.

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
Thanks guys!

Yes, this is my first... very exciting, very scary.

OK, good to hear everyone's opinions. I've had so much fun doing W1S1 and I love the community here. I just need to dial it back a notch for a while on the short story front. I keep putting novel revisions on the back burner and I need to send those darn things out one of these days!

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
Okay, I'm just a bundle of needy lately, but does anyone want to take a look at my bio for my DSF piece? I'm nervous about saying something that sounds dumb, but I wanted to plump it up a bit since I don't have any credits to mention really yet.
[FONT=&quot]Always July has been to all seven continents – including staring down penguins in the Antarctic – but settled in Virginia just outside D.C. She is currently working on an urban fantasy novel and a science fiction novel for young adults. She can be found online at http://thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Any comments appreciated! I never know what to say for these things...
[/FONT]

Last edited:

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm just a bundle of needy lately, but does anyone want to take a look at my bio for my DSF piece? I'm nervous about saying something that sounds dumb, but I wanted to plump it up a bit since I don't have any credits to mention really yet.
[FONT=&quot]
Any comments appreciated! I never know what to say for these things...
[/FONT]

You might think about going with a start more like this (not that I'm any sort of expert):

Always July has stared down penguins in the Antarctic and (another specific example of an event in a foreign locale),but settled in Virginia just outside D.C.

I think the second and third lines are fine as is.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AJ your bio looks perfectly fine as you wrote it, I wouldn't change anything - and congrats on the acceptance!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I had a bad experience with a past bio for a poem in a lit journal... I sent in a funny bio and everyone else's was very serious and full of literary credits and... oops. So now I'm paranoid. :)

OTOH, maybe readers hit your bio and thought, whew, finally someone with a sense of humor.

If you're gonna stand out, do it by being you. (-:

-Suzanne

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it were me:
[FONT="]Always July has explored all seven continents – including the Antarctic (where she stared down penguins) – but settled in Virginia just outside D.C. She is currently working on an urban fantasy novel and a science fiction novel for young adults. You can find Always July online at [URL="http://thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com/"]http://thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com[/URL]. [/FONT]
Just a suggestion. :)

I sent in a funny bio and everyone else's was very serious and full of literary credits and... oops. So now I'm paranoid. :)
Ack! But you know, I think that's really cool. I did the serious one one time and found that I was the *only* serious one among several funny ones. I was all...hey, why didn't I think of that? :tongue

Funny (or non-serious) is always best, i reckon.
Now I just make sure to mention Sushi all the time. :D Well, almost all of the time.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I wrote fresh words tonight. w00t! 960 of them. Started with the Day 5 Flash Fiction Challenge prompt, 'A New Kind of Forest,' but have kinda veered away in another direction (i think). It's not going to end up as flash, though.

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
I haven't written much flash lately. I miss it.

Looking back over my W1S1 career, I've noticed a strange shift in my writing habits. I started out shooting to become a horror writer. I wanted to become a member of HWA and everything.

Oddly, I don't like writing horror as much as sci fi and fantasy. Even more telling, I get better responses from my sci fi stories than my horror stories.

I never in a million years would think I would ever have to take the time to research the question: what happens if you take off a space suit on the moon?

I wrote fresh words tonight. w00t! 960 of them. Started with the Day 5 Flash Fiction Challenge prompt, 'A New Kind of Forest,' but have kinda veered away in another direction (i think). It's not going to end up as flash, though.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I've been frighteningly unproductive lately. Last week's attempt at a crime tale went bust due to a poorly thought out character. I did no writing in the first half of this week because I was in Texas, and, now that I'm back in NY, I'm just sitting around vaguely depressed and opening files without accomplishing much of anything. The only upside is that I've finally edited the incredibly offensive story that my betas are all calling "the Zombie-Jew thing."

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I never in a million years would think I would ever have to take the time to research the question: what happens if you take off a space suit on the moon?

Oooo! Oooo! I know this one!

I had to research this one a bit when someone tossed one of my characters out an airlock of my moonbase. In his socks, poor guy.

Do you need the person to survive? (It's possible, but only for a very short time, and it's still gonna suck to be them.)

-Suzanne

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Oooo! Oooo! I know this one!

I had to research this one a bit when someone tossed one of my characters out an airlock of my moonbase. In his socks, poor guy.

Do you need the person to survive? (It's possible, but only for a very short time, and it's still gonna suck to be them.)

-Suzanne

I haven't done the research, but considering that in shadow on the moon the cold is beyond what we can imagine (isn't it something like -250F?) and when not in shadow, since the sun isn't blocked by any atmosphere, the heat is unimaginable (something like 250F+), that even without considering the lack of breathable air, the temperature alone would kill almost instantly. Wouldn't it? I can't see how any living creature could withstand either extreme more than seconds. Cells would start to freeze or cook instantly, wouldn't they?

Shelley