Hybrid Hurricane/ Winter Storm

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
AND, the combination of winter storm from the west and Sandy from the east -- The Weather Channel was just talking about 3-4 foot snow in West Virginia?

dayum.
Well, in fairness, all the footage on that is in an area of West Virginia that is home to the ski resort town of Snowshoe, so...

But yeah, completely unseasonal and inappropriate behavior for a hurricane. I mean, snow from a tropical storm? What the hell, Sandy?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The latest news I've seen:
New York mayor Michael Bloomberg just told reporters the storm surge from Hurricane Sandy was higher than what was forecast as the highest possible estimate. However, he said the rain has almost passed and winds should be dropping below gale force in coming hours.

Mr Bloomberg said the storm had knocked out backup generators at NYU Hospital. Officials "did not count" on that happening, he said. Patients were being moved out of the building.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm calling BS on the weather channel's 3-4ft predicted surge.

We're being told four metres, not feet:
Superstorm Sandy slammed into the New Jersey coastline and hurled a record-breaking four metre surge of seawater at New York City
Maybe the weather channel has moved to metric?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Yeah, snow wise, and reading the West Virginia forecasters, TWC may be exaggerating a bit.

Meanwhile, Anderson Cooper interrupts the Mayor's press conference, the one telling people to stay off the streets, to show a series of reporters standing in the streets telling people the Mayor says they should stay off the streets.

Ya' know guys, we have webcams for this now.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Current sustained winds here currently at 31 mph with gusts to 54 mph. Still increasing in strength. 2,200 homes in several communities on Lake Ontario shore evacuated. 9,000 people without power so far in the Rochester, NY area.

The wind is a constant rushing sound outside and is very unnerving. My power has flickered several times, but has not gone totally out yet. I hope it doesn't, hope all the trees by the power lines along my driveway stay up so I'm not trapped back here.

Tired, but nervous about going to bed. I'm going to try anyway.

Stay safe, everyone.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Reporting on weather events has to be one of the weirdest media exercises. MSNBC kept going to a guy standing on a beach in the storm to introduce Obama's press conference about it. Seriously, he couldn't go indoors for that?

TWC was showing maps that indicated expected surge levels along the coast. NY Harbor and Long Island Sound were expected to get anything from 6 to 11 feet. I guess they under-estimated rather than exaggerated.

Seriously, this has been the biggest, scariest storm I personally have ever sat through. I dread what the morning will bring to light all over the region.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine on AIM just dropped off...guess her power went out.

I'm going to sit here and worry irrationally.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
The pictures and reports you all are posting are insane. It's not even supposed to hit NY full blast until Wednesday.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
But yeah, completely unseasonal and inappropriate behavior for a hurricane. I mean, snow from a tropical storm? What the hell, Sandy?

Sandy is a late-season tropical storm, which grew into monster size because the tropical waters were very warm. It has carried an immense amount of moisture northward into the mid-Atlantic region, and now is headed up against a cold front and mountains, both of which will squeeze that moisture out. Wherever it's cold enough, this will be in the form of snow. Several feet of snow doesn't seem unlikely in the Appalachian regions, maybe in the Adirondacks as well. Remember, in quantitative precipitation terms, a foot of snow is ~equivalent to an inch of rain.

This unusual and unprecedented huge storm is a direct result of unusually warm tropical waters. So, Sen. Imhofe and other deniers, you still think global warming is a "hoax"?

I'll predict more such events along the Atlantic Coast in coming years.

caw

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Every time someone mentions Sandy, I feel the inexplicable need to apologize. It wasn't me, even if I fell out of the sky from Vancouver tonight. It's blustery here north of Toronto, and a dicey ride home from the airport. When we landed, it was like a carnival ride. Everyone applauded when we slowed on the tarmac.

By the time I picked up my bag and went to the parking garage, the rain was going sideways. The 400 was blustery. I'm about to retire to the sound of howling wind rushing through almost bare trees.

My thoughts go to those closer to the East Coast.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The pictures and reports you all are posting are insane. It's not even supposed to hit NY full blast until Wednesday.

I think that was a way earlier report, before she sped up.

I'm in NYC; the winds are still sporadically raging but it's much diminished from before. It was just crazy constant howling for ages.

I went out this afternoon and there was a street parking sign down, big tree part on the sidewalk, newspaper boxes scattered and trash cans rolling around (for Irene, the City went around turning them all upside down and moving them away from the curbs - this time, they did nothing and passerby were fetching from the road and righting when they saw one rolling off and some doormen had taken the ones near their bldgs and inverted them over hydrant posts and such), etc.

It's NUTS, the water/power outages and the crane (afaik, still dangling and no one knows what exactly to do about it).

Someone mentioned sites - Gawker et al have been down for ages.

They're still evacuating NYU hosp after their backup generator failed. News said power is out to pretty much everyone below 39th or 34th.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One guy from New York on my Facebook list is on Oahu in Hawaii right now. Not only is he worrying about his friends and family back home, he had to cope with the tsunami alert earlier this weekend (he can't get back till Friday).

Another guy from New Jersey posted he was going to go stay with his mother for a few days, his house surrounded by trees on the edge of the woods. A few hours later, a friend texted him saying a tree fell over in the backyard.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Crazy storm. I've had the weather channel on all day. Tonight I even watched it instead of a horror film.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's gone very quiet in here. Thinking of you all - hope you're safe.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Not bad where I am. With the exception of that little hiccup in power, we were fine. My commute might take a little longer, but other than that, no harm.

Wish I could say the same for everyone else. Heard two young boys were killed when a tree fell through their house. My sister in NJ is out of power and will be for some time. Heard there was a levee break in Jersey too, but not sure where or if it's close to her or my dad.

Hope everyone here is ok.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I just got home from a PM shift and had a look at a news site.

Bloody hell!

To all AWers in America, I hope you're safe and your friends and rellies are too.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard reports of 16 dead in the US and 1 in Canada. Count will be going up.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the sun's shining in VA Beach again. But it is FREEZING out there. I took the dogs walking along the beach just to see what it's like outside; the cloud's are breaking up, but they still look pretty dark and heavy, especially to the North. The waves are halfway up the beach from where they usually are, but the ocean stayed on the far side of the dunes, which is good.

I should've worn earmuffs though. It is really damn cold.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Definitely didn't get hit as hard up here as we could have been. For once our power didn't even go out, which is a nice change. The storm track is kind of weird actually, it's basically making a huge arc around this area, so we got sideswiped yesterday, it'll rain for a few days, and that's about it.

I wish everyone else could be as fortunate.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
I had a job interview scheduled for Thursday afternoon in the Financial District in Manhattan.

I can make it as long as the buses are running, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they reschedule.