RWA Workshops

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I've never been to the RWA conference before and decided last week that should change. So I registered, but now I'm not quite sure how this works.

The workshops are listed here. It says "first come first served"...do we sign up in advance? Is that just referring to showing up on the day of? And are there going to be times posted later on?

Also, if anyone has any recs for particular sessions or speakers, I'm curious...

thanks!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
No, you can't really sign up to guarantee a seat. It really is first come, first serve. Plan on standing in line for popular events. Ones that have major names on the panels are in large rooms, so it shouldn't be a problem, and ones they aren't sure about are often planned in rooms that can be expanded by moving wall panels by the hotel staff.

I'll be there too! Hope to run into you! :)

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
I've gone to some workshops and ended up sitting on the floor.

No big. The room expands to take you in, somehow.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Do they post a schedule at some point? Just thought I would plan out what to do each day in advance...or will I have to wait until I'm there?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
As they get closer, they'll post it up on the website. But it's always subject to change as speaker's lives change. What most people do is hole up in their room after they register at the con and see what the REAL schedule is--with the realities of room locations, parties, special events, last minute changes, etc.

Planning ahead of time is tough with cons. Allow yourself the freedom of winging the experience. :)

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
As they get closer, they'll post it up on the website. But it's always subject to change as speaker's lives change. What most people do is hole up in their room after they register at the con and see what the REAL schedule is--with the realities of room locations, parties, special events, last minute changes, etc.

Planning ahead of time is tough with cons. Allow yourself the freedom of winging the experience. :)

Alright, thanks!
I am a bit of a planning-in-advance person, as you can probably tell...

stephsco

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniescott.net
I went to nationals for the first time in 2013; skipped last year, and am on board for NYC this summer :) I'm also antsy for the REAL schedule with times and dates, and not just the list of workshops.

There's so much variety of what to see there, so depends what you want! My personal opinion is to give preference to writing craft sessions over something like an author panel. Author panels can be fun, but you're probably not going to *learn* much unless it's a favorite author and you really want to fangirl out or something. Or it's Saturday afternoon and your brain shut down. I attended a character crafting workshop by two authors who had advice I'd never heard before; stuff that was specific to "this is what my manuscript was like before I sold, and this was what I worked on and added to get it sold." Really specific ways to enhance the romance of the story and the characters.

I want my money to go toward things like that instead of sitting through a social media panel where someone asks whether Facebook is better than twitter and if blogs are dead. You can find that answer on your own honestly (and if you're here in this forum, you already know there's no one magic social media to sell books for you).

The publisher spotlights can be really helpful if you're looking to sub to a house. They tell you exactly what they're looking for and what's selling. At a smaller RWA conf I went to a spotlight and pitched to the editor while we waited for the room to open. I didn't even mean to, we were just chatting and she asked what I wrote.

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score
I registered today after I found out I was a GH finalist. So of course, now I am paying attention as I really didn't think I was going this year. The workshops sound pretty incredible. I am most interested in the craft workshops as well. It's going to be refreshing going to a conference that is not a work conference. These workshops will actually be FUN! I won't want to skip out on them. haha

Looking forward to hopefully meeting you guys! I am going solo, so this will be an adventure.

Ellesi

Registered
Reaction score
Avonlea, Fraser's Ridge, Bon Temps, Westeros
I registered today after I found out I was a GH finalist. So of course, now I am paying attention as I really didn't think I was going this year. The workshops sound pretty incredible. I am most interested in the craft workshops as well. It's going to be refreshing going to a conference that is not a work conference. These workshops will actually be FUN! I won't want to skip out on them. haha

Looking forward to hopefully meeting you guys! I am going solo, so this will be an adventure.

Oh my goodness! That is amazing news! Congrats!!

Status
Not open for further replies.