Latin

DysLexiCan

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick response. The "them" is indeed mixed gender, and the "leave" refers to the audience/crowd/admirers left standing in appreciation of what the chancellor is leaving behind. I'm not sure if "linquo" or "relinquo" would be the suggested term.

Gratias.

DysLexiCan

Registered
Reaction score
Two questions immediately arise: (1) is them "mixed" as male & female (in Latin, it's important) and (2) is "leave" transitory or permanent, ie: "...passing those who stand..." or "...those who stand are left behind..."

Thank you for your quick response. The "them" is indeed mixed gender, and the "leave" refers to the audience/crowd/admirers left standing in appreciation of what the chancellor is leaving behind. I'm not sure if "linquo" or "relinquo" would be the suggested term.

Gratias.

DysLexiCan

Registered
Reaction score
Two questions immediately arise: (1) is them "mixed" as male & female (in Latin, it's important) and (2) is "leave" transitory or permanent, ie: "...passing those who stand..." or "...those who stand are left behind..."

Well, my rusty Latin says:

• linquo = to leave, quit; to forsake; abandon, omit.
• relinquo = to go away from.

So, in your context, "relinquo/relinquere" almost seems appropriate, but I'm thinking "discedo/discedere" might be more appropriate:

• discedo = to go away, depart, leave.

I still need translation of the whole phrase - "Leave them standing in the aisles..."

DysLexiCan

Registered
Reaction score
Going to have to do some "back-pedalling" here and say the 'way-back then' Latin sentence structure would more likely be something like:

"He leaves, they remain (and) stand in the aisles"

...which would translate to:

Relinquit, sunt stantem in aisles.

However, "aisles" is NOT a Latin word, simply a Latin-ization. Need something more appropriate...gotta think of the "ancient" word for "...the area (in a hall) where people walk."

I'm drawing a blank (need LOTs more coffee!).

Thanks, Old Tele Man, that's wonderful...would "corridor" (or it's correct Latin equivalent) do instead of "aisles"?

Deleted member 42

Via is used in medieval Latin for streets, paths, way as in "right of way"; andron for corridor or hallway or passage, (i.e. via is used for outside, andron for inside)

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
My wife (who's Catholic) suggested "ala" (wing) for Church aisle...as in "wings of the Church"...can anyone confirm?
The Collins in its English to Latin suggests ala as aisle but in the Latin to English under ala it makes no mention of aisle.

An Ecclesiastical Latin dictionary I have doesn't mention aisle under ala.

I had a look at andron, but it appears to mean a passage between two walls or two courts of a house in Roman usage and in Greek usage, an apartment where the blokes hang out.

ordo. ordinis means row of seats among other things.

How about inter ordines for between the rows of seats?

So how about..... inter ordines relinquit eos stantes. - between the rows of seats
leave them standing.

Or, what about a passive (optative or jussive????) subjunctive? inter ordines relinquantur stantes. between the rows of seats may they be left standing.

Last edited:

DysLexiCan

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy, I was *hoping* you'd come along and set us (OP and me) straight...and I agree 100% with your final suggestion, as too often people forget that "old" Latin (i.e.: not today's ecclesial Latin) grammar and sentence structure were totally different than "current" English...sorta like a New Englander speaking to a Deep Southerner...same language, but vast differences.

Thank you all for your interesting and intelligent contributions. Another source has offered the following...

"eos in itineribus stantes relinquere" would be a very literal translation. Vitruvius uses "iter" for "aisles/passageways" in a theatre (V.6.2 &7).
If the subject is "he" or "she" then change verb to "reliquit". If a gender neutral "them" is required, use "spectatores" or "auditores". This might also suit context.
However, a literal translation wouldn't have the same force as "leave them standing standing in the aisles". Perhaps add "ipsis" to "itineribus" and substitute "plaudentes" for "stantes" (or include both) to make the point (as I understand it) clearer.
"spectatores in itineribus ipsis (stantes et) plaudentes reliquit" = "he/she left the onlookers (standing and) applauding in the very aisles".

jessesteven

Registered
Reaction score
Good day
Would someone be able to assist me with latin translation.
Feel free to better word the phrase to suit in latin.
"the truth is out there" or "the truth is yet to be found"
Thanks
Jesse