Not open for further replies.

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
Hi All -

I just received an offer from Crimson Romance which is a new e-book romance imprint under Adams Media.

Call for submissions here:
http://www.adamsmedia.com/call-for-submissions

Anyone want to chime in on pros/cons of being part of a new imprint launch? Especially since it looks like their other lines are mostly non-fiction?

Anybody have anything to add about Adams Media or Crimson Romance?

Thanks!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Generally it is a good thing if the start up is an imprint of an established press, but it can still go wrong (see: Embrace imprint of Salt).

I think it depends on how much the imprint is driven by love of genre and format, or love of money and perceived convenience.

My entirely personal opinion is that they don't have a really strong grasp of the (erotic) romance genre from the e-publisher's perspective.

http://seejanepublish.wordpress.com/2012/02/22/industry-interview-crimson-romance-by-cassiel-knight/

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Congrats on your offer!

Generally, I would be more willing to submit to a new imprint of an established house like Adams/Crimson, without waiting the usual 1-2 year start-up period to see how they do. Sure, things could go wrong, i.e. lack of marketing, promotion, changes in direction, loss of finances, etc., but as an author I would weigh that before submitting and decide if I want to take the chance. Adams is well regarded in non-fiction and I'd submit to Crimson if their word count wasn't so low!

Erin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Good luck, Hildegarde!

In your dealings with them, was there any indication Jennifer would be open to significantly higher word counts. I read in an interview somewhere that she'd consider higher, but how much higher?

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
Good luck, Hildegarde!

In your dealings with them, was there any indication Jennifer would be open to significantly higher word counts. I read in an interview somewhere that she'd consider higher, but how much higher?

Ummmm - dunno. My MS came it at 54,000 - which is in range with what she was requesting. She asks that you query before sending pages, so you might just drop her a line. Worst that can happen is she says no.

The call for submissions with her info is here:

There is no information about her policy on simultaneous subs, but her response time was super-quick so it wasn't an issue for me.

Give it a shot!

Erin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Ummmm - dunno. My MS came it at 54,000 - which is in range with what she was requesting. She asks that you query before sending pages, so you might just drop her a line. Worst that can happen is she says no.

The call for submissions with her info is here:

There is no information about her policy on simultaneous subs, but her response time was super-quick so it wasn't an issue for me.

Give it a shot!

Thanks for your response. Mine is 89K so it's way out of the ballpark and why I'm hesitating about subbing so as not to waste her time.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Thanks for your response. Mine is 89K so it's way out of the ballpark and why I'm hesitating about subbing so as not to waste her time.

I submited a query to her for one of my romances, which is 88k, and she requested to see the full. I did, however, indicate in my query that I would be willing to cut the word count down significantly in the future if desired.

Erin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I submited a query to her for one of my romances, which is 88k, and she requested to see the full. I did, however, indicate in my query that I would be willing to cut the word count down significantly in the future if desired.

Awesome! Good luck!

After researching and reading a blog post by Jennifer (http://rpridepublishing.wordpress.com/2012/02/12/dreamin-with-jennifer/) where she said word count is the least of her worries (in the comments), I queried her last night. This morning I received a request for full!

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com

oh_my_words

Registered
Reaction score
I think it would be thrilling to be a part of a new romance imprint- especially one that is backed by an experienced publisher. You never know, but it sounds like a unique opportunity. Good luck to Erin. I hope you both let us know how it all goes.

kayrogal

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Hildegarde!

I submitted a query rs 80,000 words and I received a request for the full mss...

kayrogal

Registered
Reaction score
I always do research, reading interviews and any tidbit and I liked what I read.

Erin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Thanks, everyone! I'll keep you updated.

Congrats and good luck, Kayrogal! I liked what I had read about them too.

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Congrats to those who have offers and good luck to those who have submitted!!! This is so exciting!

I am giving it a shot too! Just sent my query and I'm so nervous lol!

Mary K. Norris

Eat. Write. Sleep. Repeat.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I saw all the excitement about Crimson and decided to get it on it. :) I'm one of their authors that will be launching in June! I think it's a great opportunity! I queried and my MS was 88K so if anyone is worried about word count I don't think there will be much of a problem. I'll see how much is trimmed from my book when the editing is all done and taken care of.
Good luck to everyone submitting, I hope to see you among my fellow Crimson authors!

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Good luck, Celeste!

Thank you!!

Hey everyone!
I saw all the excitement about Crimson and decided to get it on it. :) I'm one of their authors that will be launching in June! I think it's a great opportunity! I queried and my MS was 88K so if anyone is worried about word count I don't think there will be much of a problem. I'll see how much is trimmed from my book when the editing is all done and taken care of.
Good luck to everyone submitting, I hope to see you among my fellow Crimson authors!

Congrats, that's great!

If you wouldn't mind sharing some details about the process that would be great. This is my first time submitting a query & since it's specifically an ebook publishing house I am not sure how things will work. Even if they show no interest in my book I would still like to know as much about the process as possible just to educate myself. If you would prefer not going into details I totally understand or if you would prefer sending me a private message that's ok too. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.