Received offer from Crimson Romance - New Imprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary K. Norris

Eat. Write. Sleep. Repeat.
Registered
Reaction score
Not a problem Celeste. :) But I'm not sure what you're looking for. The whole process for me was that I queried, then received an e-mail asking for a synopsis and the full manuscript. Five days later I was sent a contract that I could review and the e-mail said if I was still interested that a finalized contract would be written up. It all happened very fast.
Despite it being ebook publishing everything was very similar. I had been querying agents before hand and was able to use the same letter. I only changed a few things, like who the letter was addressed to.
Hope this helps, good luck!

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Not a problem Celeste. :) But I'm not sure what you're looking for. The whole process for me was that I queried, then received an e-mail asking for a synopsis and the full manuscript. Five days later I was sent a contract that I could review and the e-mail said if I was still interested that a finalized contract would be written up. It all happened very fast.
Despite it being ebook publishing everything was very similar. I had been querying agents before hand and was able to use the same letter. I only changed a few things, like who the letter was addressed to.
Hope this helps, good luck!

Thank you for the info, it is very helpful to a newbie like me!
I have a few more questions if you don't mind and again feel free to tell me to mind my business, lol!
How long do they hold the rights of your book?
What percentage of the list price do you earn?
Is there an industry standard for the above two questions?
Thank you for taking the time to help me!

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
Hey everyone!
I saw all the excitement about Crimson and decided to get it on it. :) I'm one of their authors that will be launching in June! I think it's a great opportunity! I queried and my MS was 88K so if anyone is worried about word count I don't think there will be much of a problem. I'll see how much is trimmed from my book when the editing is all done and taken care of.
Good luck to everyone submitting, I hope to see you among my fellow Crimson authors!

Hey Mary - I'm a little curious about your word count. Mine was around 54K and the major revision I'm making is adding two scenes to maintain the heat level. Will you let us know if you have to cut or they are going to publish close to your 88k?

Also, in case anyone is interested - veinglory - you were right. Their spicy line will not be "erotica" just "sexy" or "spicy." I think they would like to see some submissions on the hotter end as long as the romance is emphasized.

The hardest part of this launch for me so far is not being able to look at any examples of the lines to see what to expect (no, no objectivity at all about where my own work falls)!

Mary K. Norris

Eat. Write. Sleep. Repeat.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Hildegarde. I'll be sure to post the final word count when everything is done and finalized. Not sure when that will be though ;)

kayrogal

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone who submitted and waiting! Congratulations to those accepted! - I just signed on board and looking forward to it!

Celeste Carrara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
I sent my query & was asked to see the full MS as well as a brief synopsis! Just sent it out today & I'm so nervous but excited at the same time lol.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com

Celeste Carrara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Congrats and good luck to all who signed with them! :)

Unfortunately my novel was rejected. I have to say they got back to me in a good amount of time. Not too long that I was sweating for an answer and not too short that made me feel they didn't read it. I was told it wasn't a good fit for them. I was happy to get that explanation and not just a no.

htrent

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.holleytrent.com
I sent my 52k full in yesterday. Little bit burned out now after finishing two stories in a month. I'm just going to go nap until they respond. That should be, what, six weeks? Watch my kids, please.

oh_my_words

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to those who've submitted! I'm actually very excited about this imprint. The parent company is known for engaging enthusiasts (and most romance readers I know are enthusiasts) by building strong communities for them and then catering to their needs through books, magazines, and digital content. I can't wait for them to launch their site, I really hope it delivers.

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
Thanks for posting that.

It looks like they have at least one I/R title.

I/R=Interracial?

Yes, and I just finished reading an ARC for Island Pursuits - which the characters are Trinidadian(?).

Do those things still matter these days? I've lost track a bit. I do know there is still sometimes a shelving issue (and not in the favorable you're-shelved-in-two-places way).

oh_my_words

Registered
Reaction score
I/R=Interracial?

Yes, and I just finished reading an ARC for Island Pursuits - which the characters are Trinidadian(?).

Do those things still matter these days? I've lost track a bit. I do know there is still sometimes a shelving issue (and not in the favorable you're-shelved-in-two-places way).

I don't know if they'd dedicate actual shelf space in a big box bookstore to IR because I don't know how popular a genre it is with the general public. That being said, how awseome is epub? This writer will be able to reach those who are interested in IR and will probably introduce people from the general public who haven't really thought about it to the genre.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I don't know if they'd dedicate actual shelf space in a big box bookstore to IR because I don't know how popular a genre it is with the general public. That being said, how awseome is epub? This writer will be able to reach those who are interested in IR and will probably introduce people from the general public who haven't really thought about it to the genre.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that they wouldn't dedicate shelf space to Interracial Romance. However, I think if you compare sales and frequency, you'd probably find more Multicultural/Interracial Romances on/in eBook than on the shelf. As far as why that is, I don't know. It could be due to content; a lot of IR Romance I've come across, not all, has fallen into the erotic romance category as well. It could also be due to the fact that some publishers believe that IR Romance won't sell as well outside of eBook as in does in eBook; they probably believe the market is just not there. I could be wrong though. I don't know for sure.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Add me to the Crimson Club....I received & accepted an offer from Crimson yesterday!

My stats (for those on submission):
EQ: 3/28
Full & synopsis Request: 3/29
Offer: 5/8

Status
Not open for further replies.