Africa and Middle East Writing Award

Kasubi

Nishimiye kuba menya.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but thought it would be the place most likely to get seen.

If you're a fiction writer in Africa or the Middle East, check out the Emerging Voices Award before 30th April 2015.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I live in the Middle East. My country isn't eligible. What a lovely initiative to get "voices heard" when you selectively silence them.

Well, it says
"This list of emerging-market countries was defined by the World Bank Atlas Method (i.e. those with a GNI per capita of less than $12,746)"

I think it is for poorer countries, as Saudi Arabia isn't listed, for example. I don't know though.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
That would make sense, but last time I was in Lebanon, people there had a hard time picking between the next super car, nose job, boob job, ab job, or just a new designer couch to go with the newest 3-month-trend, or if they didn't make quite enough, just get a new maid.
I'm happy to see that Gaza and the West Bank are included, but my guess is that the Lebanese are better off than us average Israelis, so uh....

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
That would make sense, but last time I was in Lebanon, people there had a hard time picking between the next super car, nose job, boob job, ab job, or just a new designer couch to go with the newest 3-month-trend, or if they didn't make quite enough, just get a new maid.
I'm happy to see that Gaza and the West Bank are included, but my guess is that the Lebanese are better off than us average Israelis, so uh....

Interesting. I expect that the gap between the wealthy and poor is spreading across the world. I looked it up, lebanon has purchasing power parity of 17,400 per capita, israel has 32,140. You must have seen the richer ones :)

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Interesting. I expect that the gap between the wealthy and poor is spreading across the world. I looked it up, lebanon has purchasing power parity of 17,400 per capita, israel has 32,140. You must have seen the richer ones :)

I admit I limited my travels to Beirut as my mom lived there at the time. In an obscenely large apartment with shiny polished stone.

Actually, the purchasing power, average salaries etc. in Israel are skewed or unfairly measured to make Israel look like the Holy Land it isn't and never will be. They just love to report the average salary to be in the 2000 us dollars, by lumping in the millions of minimum wage makers with the thousands of established engineers etc. Minimum wage in Israel is less than 5 usd. I lost the love of my life to a woman because he decided to be a ho and go for an Intel engineer who made 30,000 Shekels a month which I'm too freshly out of bed to convert into dollars, but it's a ridiculous amount of money for sitting on your @$$ and smothering your boyfriend with lovey dovey messages. This woman's 30k are then lumped with my 3k, and alakazam, you got an average salary to be jealous of. The Israeli middle class is freaking poor. I jealously hoard bottles to recycle for tiny little vouchers to buy milk with and I'm still well-off considering I can afford the maintenance of 2 pedigree dogs. Our prime minister is stealing from us to bully Arabs and spoil his wife, while I see Holocaust survivors going through the trash for those bottles I've missed.
/anti-patriotic rant

Ah, that felt good.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I admit I limited my travels to Beirut as my mom lived there at the time. In an obscenely large apartment with shiny polished stone.

Actually, the purchasing power, average salaries etc. in Israel are skewed or unfairly measured to make Israel look like the Holy Land it isn't and never will be. They just love to report the average salary to be in the 2000 us dollars, by lumping in the millions of minimum wage makers with the thousands of established engineers etc. Minimum wage in Israel is less than 5 usd. I lost the love of my life to a woman because he decided to be a ho and go for an Intel engineer who made 30,000 Shekels a month which I'm too freshly out of bed to convert into dollars, but it's a ridiculous amount of money for sitting on your @$$ and smothering your boyfriend with lovey dovey messages. This woman's 30k are then lumped with my 3k, and alakazam, you got an average salary to be jealous of. The Israeli middle class is freaking poor. I jealously hoard bottles to recycle for tiny little vouchers to buy milk with and I'm still well-off considering I can afford the maintenance of 2 pedigree dogs. Our prime minister is stealing from us to bully Arabs and spoil his wife, while I see Holocaust survivors going through the trash for those bottles I've missed.
/anti-patriotic rant

Ah, that felt good.

Yes, I think the uberich make up for the average high amounts. I think it is the same in many countries. I know in Pakistan it is, corruption is blatant, not even hiding, money is freely being taken by people with power, not even just government officials. Saddening.