The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Evening team. Been working so hard lately that I completely flaked out today and had to take some time to decompress. I'm starting to notice that when I work flat out for too long, I wind up in a really black depression and before long I'm a worthless person who should curl up and die. I got to that stage last night and realised it was time to take a few hours off work today for my own sanity. :tongue

Had another coffee date with Ms Coffee tonight. It was nice.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
para, i'm glad you took a much
deserved break.

when can we hear more about ms. coffee??
so happy you had another good date! =D

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Look what was in the big box on my doorstep today!
010.jpg

Gah. I can't make it bigger. Photobucket is being persnickety. That's 30 books. Kiddo helped me create the fort. I told The Agent that he can have 25, and he said he's going to blanket the world with 'em.

Cuisinart a Cullen for me, please? Mama wants a new book deal!

Last edited:

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Wowza! Awesome, humungous book fort! :Hail:

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
lily pie, yeeehaaaaa!
congrats!!!

i just made pumpkin muffins by mixing
a box of yellow cake mix and a tin of pumpkin
puree. it came out pretty good! too sweet for
my personal taste--but i suppose that's the cake
mix. (i always halve the sugar when i'm baking
using recipes.)

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That's an awesome book-fort, Lily. Congrats!

Trinza

!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ztringali.wordpress.com
Lily, that is so awesome! Gah! Wonderful book fort.

In less stellar news, the A/C guy finally came and apparently the unit is dead dead dead. They're coming back Monday to replace it. High tomorrow is mid 80's. Unhappy Trinza.

On the plus side, living in an apartment complex means I don't have to foot that huge bill.

Kiahanna

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
lily pie, yeeehaaaaa!
congrats!!!

i just made pumpkin muffins by mixing
a box of yellow cake mix and a tin of pumpkin
puree. it came out pretty good! too sweet for
my personal taste--but i suppose that's the cake
mix. (i always halve the sugar when i'm baking
using recipes.)

Chocolate Banana Muffins

3 banana(s) (ripe or over ripe)
125 ml vegetable oil
2 medium egg(s)
100 gram(s) soft light brown sugar
225 gram(s) plain flour
45 ml cocoa powder (sifted)
1 teaspoon(s) bicarbonate of soda

Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6 and line a muffin tin with papers. Don’t worry about getting special papers: regular muffin cases will do the job.
Mash the bananas by hand or with a freestanding mixer.Still beating and mashing, add the oil followed by the eggs and sugar.
Mix the flour, cocoa powder and bicarb together and add this mixture, beating gently, to the banana mixture, then spoon it into the prepared papers.
Bake in the preheated oven for 15–20 minutes, by which time the muffins should be dark, rounded and peeking proudly out of their cases. Allow to cool slightly in their tin before removing to a wire rack.

Not too sweet and seriously yummy. You're welcome!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Rick entertains me with his submarine talk. I feel bad for everybody who's about to get fired. :tongue

when can we hear more about ms. coffee??
so happy you had another good date! =D

Thank you! Ms Coffee is a friend of mine from writing group. I've known her a few years now. She's the shy type (until she hits the wine) so I'm enjoying getting to know her better one on one. It's casual at the moment, but who knows where the Parametric charm offensive will lead. :D

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Came home to find sick kiddo. Poor little thing has a fever and says she hurts all over. And of course, January is the month between my health insurance expiring and hubby's kicking in. *sigh*

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
We're switching to hubby's insurance, because it's about $150 a paycheck cheaper than mine for the same coverage. The problem being, my company works on calendar year, so my coverage expired on 12/31, and his doesn't start until 2/1.

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
fuck.

over 1k $ fraud charges on
my card from PA.

the cc company told me person
had an actual card--faked? i don't
even understand it. how could they
have faked a credit card??

i'll see the fuckers in hell.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
{{{Tas}}} :(

{{{X-Cin}}} Oh, no! You don't have to pay it, right? C!t!z3ns called me last week and told me my card # had been compromised and issued me a new one. Something's going on. Bastids.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Yep, fishing trawler. Our subs are pretty sturdy - the damage is: one periscope, egg on face of Submarine Force, and 2 to 4 careers. (Commanding Officer and OOD are goners. Executive Officer and Navigator will be on the chopping block.)

Yeesh! I know it's the military and all, but that seems pretty harsh for something you described as basically a matter of luck. Poor CO.

Rejections - academic ones are also exceedingly painful because we're led to believe academic publishing is based on merit. Then you get the ones that basically amount to: "This research could be interesting, and we couldn't find anything too wrong with it, but since Professor Awesome is a god in that field and you're not Awesome's grad student, this will upset Awesome and her minions. So we refuse to publish it."

Thank you for providing me with just one more reason I'm glad I didn't go to grad school.

We're switching to hubby's insurance, because it's about $150 a paycheck cheaper than mine for the same coverage. The problem being, my company works on calendar year, so my coverage expired on 12/31, and his doesn't start until 2/1.

Eek. Urgent care???

fuck.

over 1k $ fraud charges on
my card from PA.

the cc company told me person
had an actual card--faked? i don't
even understand it. how could they
have faked a credit card??

i'll see the fuckers in hell.

Surely you don't have to pay for that... right? I was super impressed when this happened to us a couple of months ago... they caught it pretty much instantly, called me, and overnighted a new card so I had it the next day. That was Chase... 100% better experience than BofA. Let's not even discuss that one. Blech.

So I'll just be over here moaning about my all-day-and-night sickness. Uuuugh.

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
(((Tas))) Insurance woes loom large in so many of our lives.

Rick, what about something connected to the sub medals (well, I call them medals, but you know what I mean)? Not actual medals, but something on a bookmark. Could it be a contest with different squadron numbers? I liked Blond's Possess tattoo! And the medallion on the bookmark was very fancy.
Fun times at a library talk tonight. Massive turnout of seven-I'm not kidding, that's massive. I asked everyone what they were working on since it was a talk on how publishing works. One old guy said he was there to evaluate how I did because he wants to give talks too.:rolleyes: I only said I would do the talk because I really like the librarian who asked me, so I didn't have any expectations. If a huge crowd ever showed up, I wouldn't know what to do!
I gave a talk at SDSU's Open House meet and greet the other night and the turnout was really good, I thought. It was designed to have students or potential students get a taste of what the course were about. The only people who waited to talk with me afterwards were winery owners who wanted to see how to get referrals from the University. :tongue

(((Cricket))) Remember all the people who have had success after seeming failure. You obviously have the chops, so don't give up. Never give up!

And root canals are yucky, but not painful. I've had 1/2 dozen of them. God, I'm old. Every time something happens in here I seem to have experienced it.

Woohoo, Lil.

Hi Cake. :hi:

Haupe, I uninstalled Java! That was scary! And then I thought - was that really Haupe who came in and told us or was it a SPAM Haupe, sent by Java or some other virus to wreak havoc with our computers when we uninstalled it. Yes, isn't my imagination a delight.

I'm busy rustling up new business since the new year began. I have this 10 day window between company and I'm making the most of it. Not much writing getting done and that's really what I need to do.

(((Xiao))) Oh no! I've had it happen. The more technology advances the more advanced the crooks get.

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
By "between company" I mean houseguests. The latest ones left on the 7th and they return on the 16th. And then leave again and return on the 24th and then they cross with other company that arrive on the 25th, so I'll have two sets of guests for two days until one set leaves on the 27th, and the last company are here until the 30th. This has been going on since mid-December. I needed a spreadsheet to keep it all straight.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Jo - I have best-friend-the-doctor, who will call in prescriptions if we need it, but Tamiflu without insurance is rather cost prohibitive.

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
i've already paid the bill in full, guys.

now i need to wait for them to give it back
to me. i think they will. but just seeing these
assholes buying all the shit up pretending
to be me pisses me beyond belief.

this is the reason i was so reluctant to set up
direct pay--but i've been so haze headed i'd
rack up late fees.

*sighs*

i am setting up a limit warning now
too. i had one set for abroad purchases
which worked while i was in london. i think
i'll set the limit to 75$ for alert.