How much do you use Goodreads?

MJRevell

www.mikerevell.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikerevell.com
I've just signed up as an author on Goodreads, and it looks like they've got a lot of tools for you to use.

How many of you use it for blogging?

Do you use it in any other ways to promote your work and engage with your audience, or other readers?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
This particular reader hasn't used it since 2012 when she was hounded off the site by a gang of self-published authors who objected to her interests and sent messages threatening her family members and asking her to communicate with them off site.

But good luck.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I've been on Goodreads as a reader for several years and love it. When I published my first book, I signed up for an author profile, but I still mostly use it as a reader. I don't do much promo (except for announcements in groups that have folders specifically designated for promo). I do interact with other readers in groups, though, and have "met" several reviewers through Goodreads.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One immediate problem with goodreads is that if you post an excerpt from your book for people to download, it has to be no more than 10% or you aren't eligible for Kindle Select. And 10% is just going to make people mad, IMO.

You can have giveaways for your book, but you have to supply p-books, e-books not allowed. For me, living in Canada, that's a ton of hassle when most of the contestants will be in the US.

And so on. I've listed my book there, but I don't really see a lot of benefit that would justify the effort. YMMV.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I claimed my profile to keep it accurate but honestly decided not to use it in any way. It seems a bit hair-trigger over there IMHO.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Ultimately I think it is a great site for readers that authors need to approach judiciously.

Yes, I agree. I tread very lightly as an author. My books are up there, and I write an occasional blog post, but I don't send invitations to things. I don't comment on reviews. (I did thank a few people back in the beginning with my first book or click "like" on their review but then found out that was a no-no and stopped.)

Most of my participation is as a reader, adding the books I'm reading, rating, and reviewing them.

The reader members of GR are wary of authors pushing their books, and rightly so--it's a site designed for readers.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I mainly post book giveaways and I think they do generate a few sales and reviews. As for the rest of the site, I try but don't see a lot of places where I have much to add. I guess these days I'm much more a writer than a reader. I recall hearing a lot a while back about people acting really nasty on there but I haven't seen anything like that. Not sure if such an outsider that it all goes over my head or if that's blown over or maybe the site owners cleaned it up?

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
Speaking from my own experience, I used to post reviews, but I haven't done that for a while. It's useful to keep track of books I've read and books I want to read, but I don't really use it socially anymore other than to reply to messages or comments on my blog posts.

As an author, it would behoove you to snag your author name and set up a profile.

You don't have to have a separate Goodreads blog. If you have a blog of your own on your website or through Wordpress or Blogger or whatever, Goodreads can automatically import your posts and alert your fans/followers by email when you have a new one.

You can limit your giveaways (as long as you have a physical book to give away, no ebooks allowed) to certain countries, which is useful if you don't want to worry about outrageous shipping costs. It's a good way to get your book added to "to read" shelves, but "to read" shelves doesn't necessarily equate "to buy" (and sometimes becomes "that place where I put stuff I intend to get to someday but usually forget about as soon as I click away").

Another bright spot is if you have fans who follow you on GR but not your Twitter, FB, newsletter, whatever, GR will alert them when you have a new book out (they do a monthly newsletter of "new books by authors you've rated").

Advertising on it got me bupkiss, so I don't recommend paying for ads.

Hope that helps.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I mainly post book giveaways and I think they do generate a few sales and reviews. As for the rest of the site, I try but don't see a lot of places where I have much to add. I guess these days I'm much more a writer than a reader. I recall hearing a lot a while back about people acting really nasty on there but I haven't seen anything like that. Not sure if such an outsider that it all goes over my head or if that's blown over or maybe the site owners cleaned it up?

I would not be surprised if the site owners cleaned up a lot of things.

AnthonyJones

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's great for engaging with readers interested in your book's genre. I wouldn't rely on it. I read somewhere that getting on there is the best thing an author can do to promote his/her book. It's not THAT great.

I still enjoy it

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
I just did a Giveaway. I had 1000 people sign up for 10 free books. I drop shipped them to the winners in the US and we will see if that results in any decent reviews.

I have been running an ad campaign for the last month, and when I post a new add, book downloads spike on several sales channels. May be a coincidence, or not. Hard to know for certain.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Some writers I know have done giveaways and contests there, and had sales spikes. Others did the same and got crickets. I use Goodreads as a reader, to get more in-depth reviews of books I might be interested in reading. As a writer, I'm barely there: I have a profile that links to my blog, and that's about it.

I have no idea if the high-school self-pub follies got cleaned up or not, I just simply chose to invest my time elsewhere.

Isobel Lindley

writing as Eleanor Beresford
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.eberesford.com
My blog autoposts there. I've engaged with some comms to a small extent, but not for promo, and I post reviews under my real name, not my pen name, as I am wary of being too opinionated and putting people off.

As a reader, I love it. As an author, it's an easy way to have a presence where there are readers.

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
I have my blog auto-posting there. I did a giveaway for the first time, and had a bunch more people add it to their shelves, but my book isn't released yet, so I'm not sure the results as far as sales. I did use the ARC group to solicit reviews in exchange for ebooks. I got some takers, but I don't know yet how that will pan out as far as reviews.

I've been enjoying using it as a reader!

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
It's great as a reader. As an author, I've found people to be really touchy and it's not really an environment I find very friendly. I don't really use it much.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
I promote occasionally, but don't overdo it, and most of the time I post it's about general book stuff and I don't mention my novel.

I have a separate blog site and I copy my writing pieces onto my Goodreads blog, which has been pretty good in terms of response. My policy regarding the site is to make info available for people who seek it out, rather than actively chase engagement.

I've done two giveaways - the second (an Australia Day promotion) finishes today - which have generated quite a bit of awareness, though I haven't had a review yet from the 5 copies I sent to winners in early December. My book is on more than 500 'to read' lists due to the giveaways, but as members often have hundreds, if not thousands of novels, on their lists, I can't see many sales eventuating.

I promote in lots of places, so I can't attribute any of the sales spikes specifically to Goodreads, but I do very much like the site, as both an author and a reader.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
For me, goodreads never really clicked as a reader, partly because I was already a member of LibraryThing, so my expectations about layout and community and useability were already set to something other than goodreads default. And then they started doing to facebook log in thing automatically, which means if I want to use my actual goodreads account without linking it to my facebook I have to log out of facebook before I visit the site, every single time. I have an author account there, but honestly, I dread having to visit whenever I have a new book out to make sure it's added, because it's such a massive faff just navigating the site and making it do what I want it to do.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I like it as both a reader and an author. I don't really promote at all, but my blog is set to automatically post to Goodreads... And I'm always getting likes and comments through Goodreads.

I hosted multiple giveaways for my first two books. I honestly didn't mind including the USA in my giveaways... Postage is more, but not outrageous. For my two latest books, my publisher hosted giveaways.

I read reviews of my books there. I don't believe in not reading reviews... I do believe in not commenting on reviews. To date, I only have good reviews... Knock on wood.

I also have had readers friend me and then private message me fan mail.

I'm happy with Goodreads overall.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I should have added, the only stinky taint I see going on at Goodreads is by authors... Not readers. I can't tell you how many friend requests I have received from authors who have, basically, only their own books on shelf... And have 5 - starred them. I check before I accept requests. Any asshat author who would 5-star their own book--I have zero time or tolerance for. And it's also authors who seem to mass private message with thinly disguised PLEASE BUY MY BOOK shit. That is NOT what Goodreads is about.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... not a bad resource. Downside is that there often are a lot of reviews, many of which tell you absolutely nothing. So you have to wade thru a lot of bunk to get to something of substance that tells you something about the book. Can we please not post a review unless we have something to say, people !

Yours Truly, Ken

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I use GoodReads a lot as a reader to find new books to read and see what else an author has written. I don't really blog on it / participate in the giveaways ... I have a book blog and work with Xpresso and Rockstar Book tours because I get so many great free books that way! But I do always crosspost my reviews on GoodReads so that other readers will see them.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I should have added, the only stinky taint I see going on at Goodreads is by authors... Not readers. I can't tell you how many friend requests I have received from authors who have, basically, only their own books on shelf... And have 5 - starred them. I check before I accept requests. Any asshat author who would 5-star their own book--I have zero time or tolerance for. And it's also authors who seem to mass private message with thinly disguised PLEASE BUY MY BOOK shit. That is NOT what Goodreads is about.

I received a private message on GR yesterday in which some author out of the blue invited me to purchase his book on Smashwords and included the coupon code. I found it VERY annoying being approached that way by some random. And we weren't even friends in the first place. Gah!:rant: