Not open for further replies.

DTNg

Going through the motions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
Eeman said:
I was accepted to host a site back in 1997, but I could not make it through orientation because of technical difficulties. At that time, they required you to download a series of templates, fill them out off-line and upload them via FTP software. I did not even know what FTP was, but I found help and learned. However, I could never get my files into the right folders and generally made a mess of the whole thing. I now regularly use FTP software for another job, but the software of today is so much more user-friendly than it was ten years ago. I imagine that About.com no longer uses this system as it would be quite cumbersome for a computer novice to learn and navigate. I do not consider myself technically challenged either, so it was a real disappointment when I could not solve the problems I was having. Maybe the horror stories come from people who had a similar experience to mine.

It could be. All of the templates are online now and I found them to be user-friendly. If you have the time, I encourage you to give it another try.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
I've had similar bad experiences. The application said that you needed to know basic html but I found it overwhelming. Also they wanted me to start straight away and I had exams plus Christmas holidays so I flagged it. This is going back a few years so I'm sure things have changed

I would love to know how much people there really earn. What does it work out to on an hourly basis? Perhaps, someone who has worked there a while could answer? When I worked out the hourly rate for that base $500 I decided it wasn't worth my while. Of course, saying that I blog for a few miserable amazon commissions, but with blogging I have no deadlines and can write about anything I want.

JamieL

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, seems like a lot of people are applying. Best of luck to all. :)

They just updated their minimum pay. Every month for your first two years you will make at least $725. As long as your page views increase monthly after your first two years are up, you will continue to make at least that much.

Michelle: The email courses are created by the guides of their respective subjects. So, the homeschooling guide can create courses about education-related subjects, the freelance writing guide can create courses about how to be a successful writer, etc. To my knowledge, About doesn't hire people just to write the courses.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
Another question Jamie...

Can you schedule things in advance? For example if you're going to be away for a couple of weeks can you post date your articles, blogs, newsletter so they happen automatically while you are away?

JamieL

Registered
Reaction score
TaliaMana: Sorry for the very delayed response. It's hard to say how much time I put in a week. When I have a lot of other writing deadlines, I do the minimum (3 blog posts a week and one article every 14 days). When I'm not so booked, I do as much as I can.

Doing the minimum, it takes about 20 mins to write a blog post and a few hours to write an article - so it doesn't take all that much time a week.

However, many weeks I put in a lot more work because I want my site to do well.

BlueBadger

Knows notebooks can kill.
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't heard back yet on my application ... but then again it's only been two weeks. And the category I applied for is still open, so I guess it hasn't been filled yet.

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't heard back yet on my application ... but then again it's only been two weeks. And the category I applied for is still open, so I guess it hasn't been filled yet.

Same here... I'm still waiting to hear back for the one I applied for.

Just out of curiousity did anyone apply for the freelance writer topic? (If you're comfortable saying). I saw that and figured it'd be a good one for some people here... I'm still a newbie so not for me though.

JamieL

Registered
Reaction score
Re: Post-dating material. Yes, it is possible to post-date blogs, newsletters, and articles to be published at a later date if you are going on vacation or just want to plan ahead.

DTNg

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
Same here... I'm still waiting to hear back for the one I applied for.

Just out of curiousity did anyone apply for the freelance writer topic? (If you're comfortable saying). I saw that and figured it'd be a good one for some people here... I'm still a newbie so not for me though.

I know several people who applied for that topic and were turned down, I'm assuming the candidates are already competing for the site. The competition for Freelance Writing has to be fierce. A bunch of new topics appear to be added all the time, so I would check back often.

BlueBadger

Registered
Reaction score
If your application is rejected, are you generally informed?

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
If your application is rejected, are you generally informed?

Yes you get sent an e-mail. I applied for inline skating a while ago (it was a long shot... using my figure skating and fitness background as hopes of getting it) and they just sent me an e-mail telling me I wasn't quite qualified for the position and they were looking for someone with a different background. I kind of expected it so I wasn't surprised... but never hurts to try right? :p

BlueBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Never hurts to try! I have suitable experience for my hoped-for topic, but I'm sure the competition is fierce. I'm glad they let you know whether or not you're picked, though. Even if I don't get it, I'll be sure to check back often and see if anything else opens up.

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading this thread w/ interest. After checking out the site, I have a question.

One of the areas in which I have expertise is mental health. I see on the mental health guide's site that it says, "Apply Now" where his name and info would be. That topic is not listed under available topics.

Any thoughts?

TIA,

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading this thread w/ interest. After checking out the site, I have a question.

One of the areas in which I have expertise is mental health. I see on the mental health guide's site that it says, "Apply Now" where his name and info would be. That topic is not listed under available topics.

Any thoughts?

TIA,

According to the site... Leonard Holmes is the guide???
http://mentalhealth.about.com/mbiopage.htm
Leonard Holmes, Ph.D. is a clinical psychologist who practices in the real world. He specializes in health psychology - especially treatment of chronic pain, in work with abuse survivors, and in Online mental health issues.
Like all the Guides at About.com., I'm a real person. I check the Forum regularly. Post your questions or comments and you'll get input from a variety of voices.

Maybe, he no longer works there???
I'm a psychologist and I am also interested in this topic but there doesn't appear to be any way to contact About.com to enquire on the status of the topic.

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score

I applied around Jan. 15, and haven't heard anything yet. I'm hoping that's a good sign!

latoya

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday, I applied for to be a guide on the Credit/Debt Management topic. I've been waiting on something consumer finance related to open up. Good luck to all the other applicants.

chocncheese

Hi,

I used to lurk in the fiction writing threads, but have been considering freelancing as my day job so here I am.

Am I only one that gets major page errors on about.com? I tried to look at one of the sites and then I looked at the 'be a guide' page after reading this thread, and the format was so wacky that I couldn't figure out how to apply.

There is a somewhat obscure topic that I'd love to apply for and that seems to be on the list so any help would be appreciated.

fringle

always abroad
Registered
Reaction score
I too usually lurk, but as an About.com guide, I felt I should speak up.
About is a fantastic place to work. When I applied, I thought of it more as a hobby w/ a $500/mo paycheck. Now, it has become an exciting and well-paying career. I can tell you that it's easy to surpass that min payment in a very short amt of time, and even easier to maintain a higher pay. I make much, much more than the min, and I assume most guides, once they've worked for a year or more, do.
The exposure is fantastic; I'm in regular contact w/ important people in my field all the time. I'm invited to big events that I never thought I'd attend. I get interviewed by the media. I love my job.
If you have an opportunity to apply for a GuideSite, go for it. It really is worth it.

BlueBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Well then! I hope my application is approved!

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Applied under freelance... stomach is in a knot... wish me luck!

chocncheese

Thanks for sharing that info, fringle. That's great to hear.

The topic I am interested in is still up there, but I STILL can't figure out how/where to apply. I don't see any links on the 'be a guide' or topics page- is it because I get so many page errors?

Argh!!! How do I apply?

DTNg

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
I'm a new Guide for about a week now and am having a blast! I still have a lot to learn but everyone is so helpful. I do enjoy blogging about blogging and people were commenting on my blog beginning the first day.

To apply go to the bottom of About.com's home page to the link that says "Be a Guide." By the way, Weblogs is the third topic I tried for with About. I was told I didn't have enough experience for the first two. My application was accepted a week after I applied and prep started about 3 weeks later. I finished prep at the end of December, "graduated" in mid-January. My site is live as of February 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.