About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBadger

Knows notebooks can kill.
Registered
Reaction score
DTNg (ha ha that's fun to type) how long did you wait for your application to be approved? Some people are saying two weeks and others are saying eight. I guess it can fall anywhere in between.

Oh well, the best way to keep your mind off these sorts of things is ... to work!

(But ... I'm hungry.)

Last edited:

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
Oh that's so great to hear. I'm still waiting to hear back from them too. It'd be a dream come true to get hired I think, just exposure alone would benefit me so much. I know I'm more qualified for the subject this time than the last one I applied for so with any luck.... :)

cool_st_elizabeth

Last person who isn't on Facebook
Registered
Reaction score
I applied on January 15 & haven't heard yet. The topic I applied for is a medical subspecialty ... I'm not a doctor but I have been running a website on related subjects since 2001 & have published two books that I developed from the website. At least, it's good to know they email you if they turn you down.

DTNg

Going through the motions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
DTNg (ha ha that's fun to type) how long did you wait for your application to be approved? Some people are saying two weeks and others are saying eight. I guess it can fall anywhere in between.

Oh well, the best way to keep your mind off these sorts of things is ... to work!

(But ... I'm hungry.)

I heard back in a matter of days. I keep thinking it was only a couple of days, but it definitely wasn't more than a week.

BlueBadger

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if some topics are given more priority than others.

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if it's a bad sign if you don't hear back right away. Does anyone know what their procedures are? I'm just curious as to whether they wait so long to let multiple applications come in or if when they find someone who is qualified they accept them right away.

BlueBadger

Registered
Reaction score
I doubt it's really a bad sign if you don't hear back right away. The confirmation email states it can take up to eight weeks for anything to be decided. But then again I'm not sure.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
<---- kicking myself

I applied 2-3 years ago and heard back fairly quickly (2-3 weeks) that they were interested in taking things to the next level. To be honest I didn't know that they turned some applicants down. Didn't know how lucky I was LOL

In the end I didn't go ahead with it for a number of reasons. The timing was off, I wasn't sure of my future direction and goals, I knew a lot less about html at that stage yada yada. I do remember about.com as being fairly prompt with all their communications. They have rules and procedures and they seemed to stick to them.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder about the overlap in the topics. That's something that concerns me. In some areas there's not much overlap but in the health field there is huge overlap. Some of the topics are really subtopics of other ones. I wonder if there is enough material for some of those smaller topics to be able to write 3 articles a week for years.

cool_st_elizabeth

Last person who isn't on Facebook
Registered
Reaction score
For the subtopic of cardiology that I applied for, there would be plenty of material. The whole main topic would be too much for one person.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
I agree - that's a big topic.

I decided to apply for a mental health sub-topic. I've given it a lot of thought and I think I can create enough material to sustain the position long-term. I just have to keep my fingers crossed that they don't ask me to start the training when I'm away doing my speaking engagements. I have a week in April when I'm off to Singapore and then traveling around the country here.

If I get the gig I will have to learn American spelling LOL

Aesposito

Registered
Reaction score
Just heard back....

....and I've been accepted for prep for the topic that I applied for! Took about a month to hear from them, FYI.

Audrey

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Audrey! I believe we applied about the same time. I have not heard back yet...

Aesposito

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Audrey!!! What was the topic you applied for?

Heart attacks. I'm a paramedic and ACLS/PALS/CPR instructor with cardiac tech experience who also teaches doctors, nurses and other medics about cardiac issues.

I'm curious to see what topics you and others applied for as well....and how long they are taking to get back to everyone.

Audrey

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
Audrey: You sound well qualified for that guide position. If you can make it through the training period (which sounds pretty time intensive) then I'm sure you will do well.

I applied for seasonal affective disorder about a week ago. It's not my preferred topic, but the ones I want aren't available. Unfortunately I didn't say in the application that I'm not available for 1 week in April and I'm worried that will be the week they tell me they want the prep done during that week. I had planned to tell them that in my application but there wasn't a space for that sort of information. Instead they just wanted my qualifications.

I feel like it could be an interesting topic but it's a "small" topic and already duplicates a lot of the content that their depression and mental health guides provide so I'm not sure how much I can put into the topic that will be original.

Aesposito

Registered
Reaction score
I applied for seasonal affective disorder about a week ago. It's not my preferred topic, but the ones I want aren't available. Unfortunately I didn't say in the application that I'm not available for 1 week in April and I'm worried that will be the week they tell me they want the prep done during that week. I had planned to tell them that in my application but there wasn't a space for that sort of information. Instead they just wanted my qualifications.

I wouldn't worry. According to the email they sent me, prep is 14 days long, and doesn't start until next week (for me). They also gave me a list of what they would need in advance, so you would have plenty of time to pre-write some stuff, I'm sure.

Audrey

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly don't think I'd manage to condense the prep into 7 days, especially with only 1 week's notice.

The same thing happened last time (although it was a different topic). I only had 1 week's notice and it clashed with exams and other things and I felt it would be too much.

I have to carefully manage my fatigue due to a sleeping disorder. Hopefully by then I will have seen the neurologist and have some more information and maybe drugs to help but it would place a lot of pressure on me.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed the timing works out to either give me the full 14 days or that the sleep disorder is resolved. I am looking into buying a laptop which means I might be able to do some prep while away from home. Also, I feel more confident now as I run my own blog so I've learned more html and that should simplify things

Good luck with your prep. Let us know what it's like...

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on getting accepted! That's awesome. I'm still waiting to hear back, I think it's been about a month now maybe. I really hope I get accepted, I applied for weight training and I have a degree in Exercise Science and have been a personal trainer for 3 years so hopefully it's enough. All my writing has pretty much been on this topic as well too so with any luck... it seems like about is a really good opportunity.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
So, can anyone tell us whether or not they retain all rights to your work? Jamie? Audrey? I'd really be interested to know, and it sure would go a long way toward deciding whether it's worth the time (for me, because I'm generally pressed for time as it is...).

Last edited:

BlueBadger

Registered
Reaction score
I applied as a guide for Manga. I review product for Cinescape and have my own column on the subject, so I might have a decent shot at the title. I put in my application 'bout three weeks ago.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
So, can anyone tell us whether or not they retain all rights to your work? Jamie? Audrey? I'd really be interested to know, and it sure would go a long way toward deciding whether it's worth the time...

have you read the FAQs? I'm pretty sure that's all covered. If not it's part of the application form

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
darn I know I saw it somewhere

Maybe pretend to apply for a position. under apply and then it comes up with something asking you to agree to terms - must be in that part

Aesposito

Registered
Reaction score
So, can anyone tell us whether or not they retain all rights to your work? Jamie? Audrey? I'd really be interested to know, and it sure would go a long way toward deciding whether it's worth the time (for me, because I'm generally pressed for time as it is...).

From their user agreement: "Any communication or material you post or transmit to the Service and/or the Sites is, and will be treated as, non-confidential and non-proprietary. You assume full responsibility for anything you post or transmit, and you grant About.com and its affiliates the right to edit, copy, publish and distribute any information or content you post or transmit for any purpose."

Not sure that answers the question, but it raises some other interesting questions.....

Also, they will delete anything you post during the training/prep process if you are not ultimately accepted.

Audrey

Status
Not open for further replies.