What are you reading?

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Rabbit Redux by John Updike. Starts off fantastic and ends with implausible amounts of drugs being consumed by solipsistic navel-gazers. Much like the sixties, in fact.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score

Found the title: Dead by Midnight by Beverly Barton.

I like the concept; it has a good premise. However, I loathe the 'heroine'. That's been a problem with a lot of books lately that I've tried to read. The heroines are either TSTL or too ... tough/perfect/competent/total Sues (though techically if they're original characters in original works, they aren't strictly Sues, but you know what I mean).

Still, I press onward.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A Writer's Toolkit, by Rudy Rucker. A web-based ebook thingy from a *really* smart guy. I gather that it's a writeup of his Clarion workshop lecture notes.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
The Return--Nightfall, by LJ Smith. If a series this so-so could jump the shark, it'd be doing so now.

Ian Fleming in Twayne's English Authors Series. Very illuminating.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Did you enjoy/are you enjoying it? I loved this book, everything about it. Except that it ended.
I'm loving it. I'm about 70 pages from the end and am reading it on my commute. It's been very annoying to have the bus and trains run on time!

It's a little similar to a book I read a few years ago, The Zanzibar Chest, by Aiden Hartley. You might want to check it out.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
The Talented Mr. Ripley

Still on the Ian Fleming book.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
After being scared witless by Darklite's avatar ...

I finally finished Dead By Midnight. Now I have a vast number of choices. I have Mad River Road and I'm not sure if I've read it before or not. The pages look fairly unread.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. Or rather, read 3 chapters and was so bored I quit. :(

Just finished Grave Secret, the latest in Charlaine Harris' Harper Connelly series. Still love these books. It sort of would up the loose ends, so I really hope she's going to write another.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm three quarters of the way through Fat by Rob Grant (one of the co-creators of Red Dwarf). It's a satire on the British nanny state and its desire to force people to be fit and healthy and although there are a few moments that don't quite ring true (a teenage girl being a big fan of Monk being the main example), there have also been several scenes that have made me piggy snort with laughter.

Definitely one I'd recommend if you can get a copy.

MM

Adagio

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I would be so much more appreciative if some people posting here the title would also name the author of the book!

There're thousands and thousands of titles up there and it's taken for granted that one knows them all. I wish.

I know, I know ... Google title, get author.

But what if, for ex. Momento Mori didn't post the author of Fat? [Rob Grant] Can you imagine if I Google fat how many millions hits I get? Thank you, MM.

This is a minor complaint and probably no one will read my post, especially those who will post after me, but I felt like getting it off my chest. I feel better know.

Happy reading,

Adagio

Last edited: