Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Finished The Shining, which I'd read once, decades ago. Has cemented my original thoughts:
1. King is an amazingly talented writer.
2. I just don't care for his books.
3. Why the heck don't the blockbuster movies actually resemble the books?!

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
The Power of Unpopular: A Guide to Your Brand for the Audience Who Will Love You by Erika Napoletano

and

I just like to Make Things: Learn the Secrets to Making Money while Staying Passionate about your Art and Craft by Lilla Rogers

Megan_Now

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of reading Fifty Shades Darker. Something I thought I would never read but wanted to see the appeal about it. Despite the negativity some people have about the books I find it a rather good easy read that doesn't take much effort.

London89

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Jane Eyre for the first time and loving it. Charlotte Bronte might even be changing my negative opinion of first person POV...

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Read Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones, and loved it, so I went back for Leaving Atlanta, which I am enjoying, but am distracted when occasionally encountering the character of Tayari Jones. Maybe it's just the execution, but so far, it's been a little too "wink-nudge" for me. Still a worthy read.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
The Cuckoo's Calling - I am actually loving this book a lot! It's the first one in the past 3 fiction books I haven't had to stop reading after a chapter or two (sadly enough).

Pastrix - Nadia Bolz-Weber - an incredibly beautiful and heartbreaking and hopeful memoir by a female pastor.

bellabar

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
I've never before wept at the end of a book, but I did upon finishing Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch. Would love to hear what anyone else thought of it.

I've just finished this. Wonderful, amazing and worth the ten year wait. Thought the LA section went on for a bit long and could have done without the sermonising at the end. But the descriptions, the characters and her skill in creating the perfect combination of thriller and literary made it an absolute joy to read.

Great book.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Neil Gaiman's The Ocean At the End of the Lane.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin (Book 2 of A Song of Ice and Fire) - Just started, but I'm already excited to see what happens next!

Princess Curse by Merrie Haskell - Despite being MG/YA, I'm enjoying the female protagonist and the fairytale. ^^

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
atomic-skies.blogspot.com
I'm reading:

A big stack of technical reports from the 1960's on experiments where they stuck volunteers in simulated fallout shelters to see if they'd go crazy. (So far, with one exception, the answer has been no.)

Also, I Am Providence, S. T. Joshi's big thwacking two-volume biography of H. P. Lovecraft.

And, because that's not enough, I just started Orbit #17, an SF anthology, and The Deep Hot Biosphere, which is a book arguing that biological life extends to and in fact originated at far greater depths below the Earth's crust than we realize - the author claims that, by mass, deep subsurface life may actually outweigh surface life. It's definitely a minority view, but I can't yet tell if it's "crank" minority or "legitimate but unaccepted hypothesis" minority. It's got a foreword by Freeman Dyson, though, so that's a good sign.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Just finished Thomas Pinney's The Makers of American Wines: A Record of Two Hundred Years. 2012. Pared down and reshaped from his massive two-volume History of Wine in America, which covers 400 years in exquisite detail.

--Ken

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
A Tony Hillerman I hadn't read (Skinwalkers). And I just discovered there's one more I haven't read (Skeleton Man). After that, next on my list is Solar, by Ian McEwan.

caw

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently in the middle of the Cousins' War series by Philippa Gregory! I've already read The Lady of the Rivers, The White Queen, and I'm towards the end of The Red Queen. Deciding on whether to read The Paradise or The Book Thief in between reading The Kingmaker's Daughter.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Just finished "A Sunless Sea' by Anne Perry and 'Defending Jacob' by William Landay. Jack Whyte's "The Renegade" is next on my list but I have to be in the right frame of mind to read his books and I think I'm going to have to skip it in favor of something lighter.

Jon M

I against I
Registered
Reaction score
Just started Norman Mailer's The Naked and the Dead. Hopes are high.

In Zanesville (Beard): A good book in which nothing much happens. 3/5

Last edited:

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Makeup to Breakup by Peter Criss.

Another autobiography by a guy who was a rock star and lived like it. Drugs, sex, destruction, drama, and all around a good read so far. Still have over 100 pages left.

Finished Life of Pi the other day, finally. I'm sure many people love that book but I found most of it to be dull. But I'm also more of a non-fiction reader.

Last edited:

zerosystem

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Before I watch the Catching Fire movie, I decided to read the book first. I was a fan of the first book, and couldn't wait to read the second. It took me while to get it given that it is not widely available in my country, but I have it now and am close to its conclusion. Unfortunately, from what I have read so far, this book is not as good as the first. The biggest problems I had with the first (the length of time it took for the actual Hunger Games to start and the lack of feeling for anyone in the games not named Katniss) is taken to even greater levels. I just hope the ending will be satisfying, but I suspect it won't.

I worry about seeing the movie now.

Velcro

Scribbling Scribe
Registered
Reaction score
I'm rereading The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan at the moment and it's going to take me a long time to finish these monstrous books!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alone in the Classroom by Canadian writer Elizabeth Hay.

Loving it so far...

A child lies like a grey pebble on the shore until a certain teacher picks him up and dips him in water: and suddenly you see all the colours and patterns in the dull stone, and it's marvellous for the stone and marvellous for the teacher.