What are you reading?

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Lev Grossman's The Magician's Land: Very good, but rushed -- reads like three or so books crammed into one.

If you like off-the-wall magic (I'm talking Infinity Gauntlet cosmic level stuff here) crossed with adult-targeted fiction, I suggest reading it and its two predecessors, The Magicians and the Magician Kings, the latter which The Chicago Tribune called "The Catcher in the Rye for devotees of alternative universes" (thanks Wiki).

Last edited:

Jack McManus

smoothopr8r
Registered
Reaction score
Thunder and Lightning -- Natalie Goldberg (writing advice)
Thrillers: 100 Must-Reads -- ed. by David Morrell & Hank Wagner
The Human Chronicles Saga, Part 1/Book 1: The Fringe Worlds -- T. R. Harris

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I pulled David Frum's 1994 Dead Right off the shelf, to reread after all these years. Couple of chapters in, now. Lots of water under the political bridge since then.

Also reading the March/April 2014 issue of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine.

--Ken

angeluscado

Registered
Reaction score
Trying The Hobbit again. I really, really, really want to read it because I loved the movies I've seen so far.

After that, if I'm not sick of Tolkein, I'll tackle the Lord of the Rings trilogy. If I am sick of Tolkein, I might try to get through A Song of Ice and Fire. Again.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished The King's Grave by Philippa Langley and Michael Jones, about the discovery of Richard III's grave. The co-authors trade chapters throughout, with Jones covering the historical facts and Langley the discovery of the grave.

The main problem is that Langley seems to have an almost schoolgirl-like crush on Richard. She wants to believe that not only was he a good man and a good king, but that the reports of him being physically deformed were concocted by a bunch of pro-Tudor meanies like Thomas More. As a result, when the discovered remains indicate a man whose back was badly twisted by scoliosis, Langley's reaction is so over-the-top that it's difficult to take her seriously.

Jones' historical chapters are pretty darned dry, but I preferred them to Langley's emotional hand-wringing.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
The Sword Dancer by Jeannie Lin. It's a historical romance set in Tang Dynasty, China. I'm really enjoying it.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
The Enchantress by Michael Scott: The final book in his Nicholas Flamel series. The last book (The Warlock) was absolutely amazing -- perhaps the finest fantasy book I have ever read -- and this one, only fifty pages in, is shaping up to be just as good.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A Summons to Memphis by Peter Taylor.

brasiliareview

author of Sweet Bread
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brasiliareview.org
The Good Soldier Svejk by Jaroslav Hasek. It's breezy but good and clever. It satirizes Czech society during WWII through the eyes of a Sancho Panza-style protagonist.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Last night finished The Enchantress, the final book in Michael Scott's The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series. Excellent. Even better than its predecessor, The Warlock, which was absolutely incredible.

Highly, highly recommended.

Last edited:

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
War and Peace. As great as the story is, I find many of the philosophical digressions just as interesting. Tolstoy's theory of history might be somewhat questionable, but well worth the investment of time all the same.

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
Watership Down. Found it on my Kindle (I bought a second hand kindle with 3000 odd books on it), and I don't think I've ever read it before.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watership Down. Found it on my Kindle (I bought a second hand kindle with 3000 odd books on it), and I don't think I've ever read it before.
That is a truly great book. I read it probably 30 years ago, then again about 18 years ago, and it has always stayed with me. My teenager is reading it right now.

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
I loved Watership Down growing up (although I didn't appreciate it as much when I was forced to analyze it for English class later.) It's a wonderful book.

I've just started Blood and Iron: A Novel of the Promethean Age by Elizabeth Bear. It's the start of a series, so I'm hoping I enjoy it as much as her other novels.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Hidden Order by Brad Thor
and, for light reading *yes, I'm being cheeky* Writing a Novel with Scrivener

Aye, pulling out my teeth with pliers soaked in sludge would probably be more enjoyable.
Use Scrivener, they said.
It's easy, they swore.
*attempts to remove eyes with spork*

Last edited: