Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Writing For Kids
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2014, 12:04 AM   #2426
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

jvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hi Miranda, welcome to the watercooler

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts
jvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:56 AM   #2427
MirandaintheMidwest
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

MirandaintheMidwest is on a distinguished road
Hello back to Supergirl, Stylo, Heza, and Jed,

I didn't have my query vetted here on AW, but I did have a couple of people read it. After December, I think I can call most of the queries CNR's. I know I should start with revising my query, but in all honesty, I probably queried the manuscript too soon.

Last edited by MirandaintheMidwest; 12-06-2014 at 06:14 PM.
MirandaintheMidwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:36 AM   #2428
endearing
in love with Jesus

endearing is well-respected
Hello!

I read and write a lot of YA, but I'm starting to wonder if upper middle grade is my real sweet spot. A disproportionately large number of the upper middle grade books I've read end up becoming some of my favorite books of all time. I haven't written any middle grade novels yet (besides a few unfinished drafts when I was in middle school), but I keep hoping that as I improve my craft I will one day be able to write one.
endearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #2429
Stylo
wall gazer extraordinaire

Stylo is well-respected
Hi there endearing! I'm with you on the upper-middle grade thing -- I'm writing my first one at the moment and it's so much fun to write!
Old 01-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #2430
iwillwhisperno

iwillwhisperno is on a distinguished road
New to Forum!

Happy to have found this place! I am an agented MG writer, first book is currently being shopped, and am in the deep waters of editing my second MG. I am looking for a supportive community to build my writing craft with. Any tips? Any fingers pointing me in a certain direction? Preferably not the middle finger as that is usually pointed up. Many thanks and am so excited to have found you!
iwillwhisperno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #2431
heza
practical experience, FTW

heza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthood
Congrats on finding an agent! Good luck with subbing and with your edits.

I guess, generally, we say "read the stickies" for general advice. I don't frequent it, but there's a thread in the Rejection and Dejection sub-forum where people who are on sub can commiserate.

Other than that, welcome, and if you think of anything specific you want to ask, someone's sure to know something. I think we've got at least a few MG authors here who are currently on submission.

Untitled <-- Supernatural MG (drafting)
Tobias Tinker <-- Clockpunk MG (on hold)
Freak Town <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)
Huntington House <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)

heza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:31 PM   #2432
iwillwhisperno

iwillwhisperno is on a distinguished road
Awesome! Thank you for the helpful tips, heza.
iwillwhisperno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #2433
D.Varsha
figuring it all out

D.Varsha is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Help me understand rejection letters

Hi,

I'm writer of contemporary romance who is now dipping her pen in the MG market, because my eight year old is badgering me to write something she can read.

I have written a 43,000 upper MG fantasy. Currently doing my third edit and querying at the same time. A few agents rejected yet wrote the following, "While this has some nice points…", " wasn’t connecting wholeheartedly with your writing, despite its many charms," "and I hope you will continue querying other agents with this,".

Does anyone understand these cryptic agent feedbacks?

All this feedback is leaving me confused. I have no clue where I'm going wrong. Does anyone here know of critique groups who can review maybe the first 10 pages or more of my MS and the Query letter? I need a perspective other than mine.

Thank you for all your help and suggestions. Thank you.

Regards,
Varsha
D.Varsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:31 PM   #2434
heza

heza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthood
Hi D. Welcome!

Well, let's start with the critique part so you have links to look at.

You've got enough posts to create your own post in the Children's SYW subform of Share Your Work (password=vista) where other MG writers (us) will take a look and give you feedback. Within Share Your Work also lies Query Letter Hell SYW, where you can get feedback from some very knowledgeable people about your current query letter. If you're looking for a Beta Read of a greater portion of your work, you can also post a request in Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies.

What most people here will advise is that before you start your own post in SYW, you look at some of the other posts there and offer feedback. This serves several purposes: 1) By not only critiquing other people's work but also watching it get critiqued by others, you learn to identify what might be basic issues in your own work. If you can fix these issues on your own before you post in SYW, you'll get more meaningful crit on deeper issues rather than surfaces ones you could have already fixed. 2) If you show a willingness to critique other people's work, thus giving to the community before you receive, you're likely to get more and more experienced critters on your thread (we like to help people who help other people). 3) Watching and participating in critique in an objective way, first, lets you see the process of it so that when it's your turn to get critiqued, it won't sting as much and you'll have a feel for the etiquette in receiving crit and thanking critters.

You might also get some comments here about waiting to query further until you've completed your third edit and feel your work is the best it possibly can be. Many people feel it's wasted effort to send out work you know needs more editing because you'll potentially burn the bridge with that particular agent for that particular work if it's not quite ready to query.

As to what the rejection comments mean... it's difficult to tell from such short snippets. They might be anything from kindly worded form rejections, to agents who genuinely liked your work but didn't love it quite enough to take it on, to agents who loved it but don't quite have the connections to sell your particular type of story but know surely someone else in the industry will. Form rejections are general and vague. Personalized rejections are a little more specific and sometimes mention details from the manuscript. If it seems specific enough to have been personalized, then I'd take them at face value—i.e., you probably just haven't found the right agent for it yet.

Last edited by heza; 01-21-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:45 PM   #2435
D.Varsha
figuring it all out

Thank you so much Heza. U da best!

You have given me immensely helpful information. It seems the SYW requires a password other than the one we use to login in the forum. Do you know anything about it? Thank you once again! ))
Old 01-21-2015, 10:48 PM   #2436
heza

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Varsha View Post
Thank you so much Heza. U da best!

You have given me immensely helpful information. It seems the SYW requires a password other than the one we use to login in the forum. Do you know anything about it? Thank you once again! ))
I edited my post above afterward, but if you haven't seen it, the password for SYW is vista.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:57 PM   #2437
D.Varsha
figuring it all out

Quote:
Originally Posted by heza View Post
I edited my post above afterward, but if you haven't seen it, the password for SYW is vista.
My bad! Thank you