slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*bumping to the next page*

*trumpet fanfare*

*dramatic drumroll*

I present, our new Question of the Week!

What Summer rituals do you have, if any?

In other words, what is it you do that most signifies summer for you?

For me, it's having ice cream cones on the front porch with my little one. There are other things we do, at other times, but that first ice cream cone of the season is what starts things off.

:Sun:

PS: I know it's not summer for everyone, but I figure our Southern Hemisphere members can look forward to it.

FMAnderson

Knocking his head against the wall.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
empirenevadathenovel.wordpress.com
My wife and I finish watching our shows on DVR, then pick one new one to watch that we have wanted to, but never seen before.

This tradition started with Lost, continued the next year with C.S.I. This year was Downton Abbey.

Last edited:

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Vacation is about the only true ritual I can think of. My daily life doesn't vary much despite the season. I do enjoy sitting on the back porch when it's warmer either reading or writing. But lately it's been too damn hot to do much of anything outside unless it involves water.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Beach, beach, and more beach.

I take my laptop, so I'm not totally slacking....

ElectricLights

Registered
Reaction score
I flip my sleeping schedule around so that I stay up all night and sleep during the day. I also have to have my 3 AM snack

KAM_writer

Registered
Reaction score
*trumpet fanfare*

*dramatic drumroll*

I present, our new Question of the Week!

In other words, what is it you do that most signifies summer for you?

For me, it's having ice cream cones on the front porch with my little one. There are other things we do, at other times, but that first ice cream cone of the season is what starts things off.

:Sun:

PS: I know it's not summer for everyone, but I figure our Southern Hemisphere members can look forward to it.

I like these questions! Fun!

Anyway, the thing that always kicks off summer for me is Coney Island's Mermaid Parade that happens around June 21st each year.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
What creepy-crawly, slithery-skittery, flippy-flappy things freak you out the most, and why?

Spiders. It sucks because I think they're fascinating creatures - they just scare me to death.

My fear is due to having seen a movie with a giant spider, when I was around 4 years old. Not fun. At all.

I think the thing that means Summer the most is vacationing down south at the beach, with my parents. We have so many rituals during those days, things that have been done in similar ways for years and years and years. I don't know if I'll have the chance to go down there with them this year, though. :(

EmersonWierda

Here, have a kitten.
Registered
Reaction score
Being forced to go ice fishing in Canada with my very very old grandpa. No one in my family ever wants to go. I feel bad so I go and I always drag someone with me. :D

It's not the cold that bugs me, it's time. It is so slooooooow. :e2yawn: After all it is staring at a hole in ice. :e2zzz:

Does someone want to go in my place next year? He won't know the difference? :e2brows:

ZeroSuit

We all go a little mad sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
What kicks off my summer is my boyfriend's birthday, which is June 16th, we always end up being outside in that early pre-summer heat, and I know hotter days are around the corner. :Sun:

Also, when I have to whip out the umpteen bottles of lotion, since my feet get so dry they look at me like I'm wrong for denying them a sip of my ice water in the summer... yes, that is when I KNOW it's summer. :e2bummed:

74 days until fall starts, everyone. Yes, I'm keeping track. :chair

ralf58

shhh, I'm writing
Registered
Reaction score
My husband's birthday is July 14th, and it's our summer ritual to go to Ravinia (an outdoor music festival in one of the northern suburbs of Chicago). We take wine, French bread, French cheese, cold cuts, strawberries, and fancy cookies, and we usually choose a classical music concert.

CQuinlan

Registered
Reaction score
BBQ out the back garden and ignoring/tormenting the dog with my family and a few friends. It hasn't happened yet this year (waiting for the weather) but it will.

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
My summer ritual is NOT getting ANYTHING productive done, because it's my busy season at work...

But I guess a little dog hair floating along the tiles never killed anyone.

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
Every summer I make a valiant attempt to grow pumpkins and whatever other gourds and squash catch my eye in the seed aisle. Sometimes I even get a few! I get more weeds than anything, though. Grow faster than I can pull them, they do.

JRDickson

Registered
Reaction score
Since I still live in the fantasy-land of graduate school, summer is when I get to live like a 'real' professional writer. I get up early, put on some gritty coffee bar on a city street corner music, and write until 11am or so. On summercamp days, this means lots of words...on not-so-summercamp days, this is usually cut short by a ten year old demanding slices of cheese and trips to the neighborhood swimming pool :tongue

Iggy58

Newly addicted to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Cliche, but that first hot dog at the ball park. As soon as I've had it, I know it's summer. But my favorite summer event is watching a hard summer rain sitting on my back porch. Nothing beats the smell of summer rain after a dry spell.

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
But my favorite summer event is watching a hard summer rain sitting on my back porch. Nothing beats the smell of summer rain after a dry spell.

I miss summer rain! Living in California has as a: plus no need to plan rain dates for outdoor activities, as a minus: no summer showers! From mid June to mid Sept (at least) we are rainless here.