Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I did indeed get it - I preordered it from my "local" Waterstones back in March, so I got it cheap. :D

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
I'm starting a new first draft, and it's really exciting, but also kind of scary to be back at the hideous rough draft stage!

On top of that, this is my first sequel, so I may be feeling a little pressure!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm going to take a lot of inspiration for the next draft of Electric Dreamer from the Go-Go's and other bands in that vein.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Kim, keep talking about that first draft of a sequel stuff. That is what I have on tap to write next. It isn't really a sequel, but a companion book to Divided Moon.

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
I'm starting a new first draft, and it's really exciting, but also kind of scary to be back at the hideous rough draft stage!

On top of that, this is my first sequel, so I may be feeling a little pressure!

This! The pressure is there, but I have the sequel outlined, so I should just relax and push forward. Good luck writing!

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, everyone needs to quit freakin' out over writing sequels. I'm telling you they're the easiest books to write. Once you have your first book finished, you have your stock repertory company of players to abuse and move around. They're already established, now just throw them in situations. If the book's first person narrative? Icing on the cake, practically write themselves. I think I had the most fun writing sequels as opposed to one-offs.

Dorothy! I don't even wanna' HEAR you say you're old! Bah!

LisaLu! I love the Go-Go's! Before they hit big I saw them at my college town in a small bar three times! (How's that for being old, Dorothy?). LisaLu, I hope you're not gonna' give your characters from Electric Dreams the Go-Go's wild party habits, though!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I probably won't, Kansas!

I might start writing Stupid Cupid later. I'm finding TCV slightly difficult to read...

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
@ Kansas ....

Ah - yeah, I have 3 sequels to write. I'll get back to ya on that when I get the last one done and they all reach 50k ;)

bobcat22

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Lisalulu09....I see you're reading THE CASUAL VACANCY. What are you thinking of it so far? (or maybe you aren't too far, since it just came out!) I'm a big HP fan, and can't wait to read it!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about halfway.

It's good, but HUGELY different to Harry Potter and there are times when I'm finding it difficult.

bobcat22

Registered
Reaction score
I keep telling myself to go into reading it know that it will be different (so I'm not disappointed!), and I'm glad you're liking it! What makes it difficult? Just the plot? I'm going to try to get a copy this weekend for sure!

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, LisaLu, Stupid Cupid sounds original and great. And I think you can do it justice. Hell, I know you can.

What's "TCV?"

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Never mind. I'm an idiot (The Casual Vacancy).

LisaLu, you've gotta' ear for young girl speak. Your dialogue sparkles with reality (I've read Electric Dreams). Nice job.

Got the first art back on my cover. Sigh. Don't think I'm ever gonna' be satisfied. The CA did a great job--and part of it's my fault, as I didn't explain it well enough--but...I don't think I'll EVER be happy with the representation. I wish it was a rule that CA's MUST read the book.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I was a teenage girl (16 - 17) when I wrote Electric Dreamer, Kansas. :)

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
LisaLu! Use your new-found age and tighten it up! You'll get there.

It's pretty impressive for a young teen. Can't wait to see what you make of it now.

Oh, sorry. Let me toss in a cranky. You kids get offa' my lawn!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
The opening paragraph of Stupid Cupid:

Monday mornings are one of the worst things ever. I hate everything about them. The waking up at the crack of dawn, the early morning sounds of yawning and grumbling, the fact that another five days of hell are spread out ahead of me, taunting me with their lessons and general agony. Such is the life of a fifteen year old secondary school boy. Namely, me: Nicky Valentine.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Different writing voice automatically? I think this a good thing.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Never mind. I'm an idiot (The Casual Vacancy).

LisaLu, you've gotta' ear for young girl speak. Your dialogue sparkles with reality (I've read Electric Dreams). Nice job.

Got the first art back on my cover. Sigh. Don't think I'm ever gonna' be satisfied. The CA did a great job--and part of it's my fault, as I didn't explain it well enough--but...I don't think I'll EVER be happy with the representation. I wish it was a rule that CA's MUST read the book.

Totally agree with this. Then again, even if they did, who knows if their interpretation of how to represent the book will still match yours, you know? But I do feel that it would help if they had a real feel for the story.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Dorothy! Don't care what you say, you're still a young whipper-snapper! Take that! Feh! (Kidding, it's nice to see someone within a decade of my age-range).

LisaLu! It's good! See my personal message.

Mel! How're ya'? I guess cover artist's are a necessary evil, huh? But everything's based on photos now. Wish it wasn't the case. I want some good ol' fashioned--you know--"art?"

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Kansas! Doing well. Getting close to finishing this first draft. Then I have to go through this sucker and chop it down :( I always hate losing scenes, but alas, it's a necessary evil. :D If I can get it down enough, there are 2 scenes I want to add, but we'll see. First things first. FINISH THIS DAMN DRAFT!!!!!!

Yesterday, some friends of mine were talking about graduating in 94. And I was like, College? Me too! And they were all, No, high school. DERP. LOL It seems that Dorothy and I are about the same age :)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Stiger, just wanted to let you know I'm not ignoring you! I started to type a response to your first email and had saved it as a draft to finish today and then got your second email so now I'm trying to converge what I said with what I want to say re: your second email :D I will get back to you soon. I'm terrible at verbalizing myself through emails so it takes me a while to figure out what I'm trying to say LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.