Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Parump! I'm STILL waiting to hear back from RH's imprint, Hydra. Hoping, sweating, freaking for good news any day now.

It took me six weeks to hear back from Hydra - the longest by far of the 3 subs. So don't sweat it too much ;)

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Parump! I'm on the edge of my seat here! The thing is they asked to read my entire novel I submitted. And I sent it over the holidays, the most hellishly, calamitous time of the year. So...guess I need a huge ol' dose of chill out.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
OOH - very cool!

Yes, do the chill out thing. It will take a few months, I'm sure, if they requested a Full. After that I would do the polite-bump-email thing, just to check on progress. ;) :D

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Parump. I sent off a manuscript to Spencer Hill and haven't heard back yet (first-person, SF), and while they say no news is good news, I'm quietly going crazy and working on another novel, and cutting down the word count on three others.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks ;)

Hope you hear back soon!

I just got two books back from different editors, so I'm editing them both, and it's keeping my mind busy - lol ;)

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Parump! I've been trying to sit on this news so as not to jinx myself. (Although I probably just did!). And special thanks to Bishop for alerting us to this new outlet! I already did the bump thing, asked if they got it. They did. But you guys know me. I ain't nothin' if not annoying. And impatient.

This book went into their horror/adult off-branch. That's probably why they got back to me so soon. Not as much competition in that arena. Fingers crossed and all that.

JSF! You're right. No news is great news. As the mulleted rocker, Tom Petty, says, "the waiting is the hardest part."

itsaplane

all the feels, ALL OF THEM
Registered
Reaction score
Do you ever sometimes get really discouraged about a current WIP so you don't know if you should trunk it, finish it, or just start something new? That's how I'm feeling right now.

There's a lot of Paranormal's out there and I'm currently BETAing for someone and our books are like, eerily similar (both dealing with zombies/dead people) that I'm like, man. Maybe I should just work on my superhero novel I've had rattling about in my head.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
It seems a lot of authors think similarly. It just happens.

Hang in there.

I can't off much advice, I bouncing between a bunch of WIPs at once in a day and write on all of them. So nothing is ever really trunked with me until it's finished and has been rejected by every single agent/publisher I can send it to. ;)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Today, the musers put together lists of things we're passionate about to see if it strikes any good ideas for what to include in our writing. It was a fun exercise, even though I tend to get passionate about things I'm writing about so a lot of the time my list was redundant. But I thought you guys might find it fun too :) (I'll wait to see if you're interested before sharing my list)

(you knew I couldn't get through a post without a parenthetical, right?)

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So right now I'm tempted to write a story about a character who goes insane after the school can't stop making the fire alarm go off.

It might be inspired by real events -_-. My ears hurt.

I'm revising Talented on paper now...and all I can think is 'this is so terrible.' Gah. Sucks. But I am hoping to post the query and first chapter in SYW/QLH sometime next week or the week after. It finally feels like I'm making progress :)

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, a fire alarm is not a pleasant sound to be hearing for a long time.

You know, I remember coming to a point with Divided Moon that I started to like it again. By the time I was done with revisions, I loved it. I read it multiple times during the editing process and still wanted to rush through it because I was swept away with the story and the words.

I hope to get to that point in my other works. I love the first drafts, then I start picking them apart. There is always a period of hatred. Since I am slow, I hate my stories for a long time.

Read this: Applegate didn't give up on the Newbery winning Ivan.
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...nning-the-2013-newbery-stunned-disbelief.html

Good luck, SIK with that full out there. It seems you were just wondering about a home for an adult horror, and then one presented itself. Life is magical, sometimes.

Freyja

Registered
Reaction score
Well it's nice to have you posting with us now ;)

I'm working on edits, just about done with one set that was sent - hurray!!!

Congrats on finishing edits!!

How do you usually work with betas / critique partners? Do you revise and edit on your own and then bring them in, or do you ask for their opinion on an earlier stage? I have no experience with betas / CPs so would be interesting to hear your process!

Freyja

Registered
Reaction score
parumpdragon - good luck on the query!

wampuscat & Dorothy - hi!! Looking forward to getting to know you!

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on finishing edits!!

How do you usually work with betas / critique partners? Do you revise and edit on your own and then bring them in, or do you ask for their opinion on an earlier stage? I have no experience with betas / CPs so would be interesting to hear your process!

I have a crit group (not focused on YA, made up of people writing several styles and genres) where I go and read a chapter or two a week, then they give feedback. That's usually second-draft kind of stuff. I'd like to add a YA-focused crit partner or two who I could bounce ideas off and whatnot, but I kind of just use the forums and nonwriter friends for that.

I've only used betas once so far, and that was a "I think this is ready for agents" polished draft where the betas read the whole thing (bless their heart because it was not ready for agents).

Itsaplane, yes! That's why one of my "on hold" MSs is "on hold."

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys!

I had another tutorial for my independent project today, and my supervisor said these things about Paragon Academy:

The voices are too similar.
I should probably change the POV thing.
BUT...
I have lovely writing
I have good dialogue

Umm...

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Well, crappity-crappity, crap, crap, crap! Random House just passed on my full. Said they the premise was enticing, but didn't know how to position it (I'm thinking they're telling folks a lot of that same criticism!).

Sigh. I jinxed myself by announcing it here too early, I did.

But, like Parump, I will not be daunted. I'm readying a different manuscript to send to 'em (or at least the first 1,500 words!).

RRK

I named the dog Indiana
Registered
Reaction score
That sucks, Kansas. You've got a great attitude though!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Bonus question! Who was your favorite Dick on Betwitched? York or Sargeant? (Okay...A: I should probably rephrase the question; and B) only the truly oldsters will understand what I'm positing here).

York! :D He just had the best facial expressions. He was much more animated to me.

ETA: Sorry about the pass from random house :(

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Kansas. :( Yay for the compliment on your premise though, and good luck with your next round!

Status
Not open for further replies.