"Moan to Maryn," advice column for the holidays

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Maryn:

After two years of “helping” her get her country house ready to sell by squatting and inviting other squatters to “help,” my sweetie’s relatives and their moocher friends were finally locked off the property after I sicced the sheriff on them and stood armed guard. We eventually got the place spiffy and sold.

By Halloween last year, we moved into a small townhouse for two. My ever-sweet sweetie invited the original pair of squatters to Thanksgiving dinner to thank them for their intentions. They accepted, and a day later began paving another road to Hell: They invited a daughter, her hubby, and three kids to our shiny tiny new table for four. Another of their daughters promptly invited herself, boyfriend, and his son.

Horrified, we called off their version of Thanksgiving for the homeless (which they ain’t) and became the Grinch couple who stole holiday cheer.

Yesterday, Karma wended its way to bite the original pair of freeloaders on their collective ass. They let us know what jerks we were by telling how they invited their daughters and baggage to their house for Thanksgiving, but unfortunately there was no room for us.

Even while we were celebrating, came texts that the daughters had invited a dozen or more of their insignificant others’ families to “drop by and partake”–emphasis on “take.”

My sweetie is sad at the irony; every time I’m able to stand, I fall back to the floor to roll and laugh. Am I wrong for enjoying: Lo, and it came to pass that what doth go around verily mayeth come back around?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to enjoy this thread :)

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
What a hoot! Here's my go.

Dear Maryn (or anyone else who has an opinion, really),

I want to know what I should do about Christmas cards. In the past, I've always just sent them out to everyone I had an address for, pretty much on the why-not principle.

But I don't know. Perhaps I should only send cards to those who reciprocate. Maybe everyone else doesn't even like cards and they just get round-filed immediately.

What do you think?

Unsure in Northern California :)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Just send them to those who reciprocate. I don't send cards and I don't like receiving them. Waste of card and ink.

But then... I am a grinch so.....

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
send the cards anonymously
then no anticipation of reciprocation
and no disappointment if such is so

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Deer Maryn,

Am I a bad person for telling a relative I'd be "busy" for Thanksgiving because I really don't want to be bothered with all the extra cleaning and cooking and "hosting" people this year? :eek:

I just wanna relax and chill with my Hubby, yanno?

Last edited:

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Am I a bad person for telling a relative I'd be "busy" for Thanksgiving because I really don't want to be bothered with all the extra cleaning and cooking and "hosting" people this year? :eek:

Dear Lavern, we can't decide if you are a bad person. But to if you're bad for telling them that. NO.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanksgiving is 'my' holiday. As many of my relatives as can make it come to my house and have since the early '70s. Last year I had to cancel on the Monday of turkey week, my Dad was with living with us and was going into assisted living right away. It was so weird. Some didn't come into town at all, the rest gathered at one of my nephew's house. Hubby and I had dinner with Dad at the assisted living. Dad passed away on 12/31. The rest of the family knows I am taking Thanksgiving back.

A real letter I read in one of the advice columns maybe 10 years ago cracked me up. The elderly lady was complaining that she had been invited to someone's home for Thanksgiving, and she was shocked and appalled that they used paper plates. Instead of fine china etc. The response was that she should be grateful to have been invited.

We have used disposable plates and glasses since the late '80s. The first time it was because my dishwasher was broken, and I refused to spend hours doing dishes after every one went home. It made things so easy, we have done it ever since. And we don't use serving bowls etc. Everyone just fills their plates from the pots on the stove. It is supposed to be about family and being thankful, not how fancy you can make it.

MM

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Maryn

I don't celebrate Thanksgiving at all. Never have. Not once.

Does this mean I'm ungrateful, or just Australian?

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Dear Maryn

It means you're missing out on a perfectly good excuse to stuff your face without judgment!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Maryn

Wouldn't you have to do it in March, when it's like, Christmas or something, in the Southern Hemisphere?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Maryn

My neighbours Some people are annoying. Is it wrong to hope that bunya cones fall on their heads while they are yahooing about?

Signed
Helix
Anonymous

Pretty sure Maryn will tell you that that depends quite a lot on whether you're up the tree at the time.... ;)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Maryn:

After two years of “helping” her get her country house ready to sell by squatting and inviting other squatters to “help,” my sweetie’s relatives and their moocher friends were finally locked off the property after I sicced the sheriff on them and stood armed guard. We eventually got the place spiffy and sold.

By Halloween last year, we moved into a small townhouse for two. My ever-sweet sweetie invited the original pair of squatters to Thanksgiving dinner to thank them for their intentions. They accepted, and a day later began paving another road to Hell: They invited a daughter, her hubby, and three kids to our shiny tiny new table for four. Another of their daughters promptly invited herself, boyfriend, and his son.

Horrified, we called off their version of Thanksgiving for the homeless (which they ain’t) and became the Grinch couple who stole holiday cheer.

Yesterday, Karma wended its way to bite the original pair of freeloaders on their collective ass. They let us know what jerks we were by telling how they invited their daughters and baggage to their house for Thanksgiving, but unfortunately there was no room for us.

Even while we were celebrating, came texts that the daughters had invited a dozen or more of their insignificant others’ families to “drop by and partake”–emphasis on “take.”

My sweetie is sad at the irony; every time I’m able to stand, I fall back to the floor to roll and laugh. Am I wrong for enjoying: Lo, and it came to pass that what doth go around verily mayeth come back around?
In the immortal words of Wilson Pickett, "Take your pleasure where you find it." If you find it in being free of the freeloaders who can't make room for you, enjoy!

I do recommend a lovely meal for two, perhaps with a little wine, followed by a stroll outdoors before dessert.

Maryn, laughing at this thread

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a hoot! Here's my go.

Dear Maryn (or anyone else who has an opinion, really),

I want to know what I should do about Christmas cards. In the past, I've always just sent them out to everyone I had an address for, pretty much on the why-not principle.

But I don't know. Perhaps I should only send cards to those who reciprocate. Maybe everyone else doesn't even like cards and they just get round-filed immediately.

What do you think?

Unsure in Northern California :)
Who actually likes Christmas cards and their cheesy packaged message? And don't get me started on those horrendous Christmas letters mentioning people I've never heard of. I don't care if Chester played guitar beautifully at church, because until that line I thought you had a new schnauzer.

Buy yourself a pack or two of autumn- or winter-themed blank cards, write a short personalized note, and send them when you feel like it.

Maryn, who hasn't sent cards in years

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

It's perfectly all right to be busy enjoying the holiday in the way you choose. Please send your guilt to someone who deserves it. There are many from which to choose.

Maryn, who will provide a list

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Maryn

I suspect you are thankful in your own way for kangaroos and kiwis. Enjoy them--and be especially grateful you are not expected to eat jellied cranberry sauce with marks from the can's crimped indentations carefully preserved.

Maryn, if not Down Under, clearly Up Over

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Maryn,

my schnauzer Chester absolutely sucks at guitar. I mean, he's got all those built-in picks on each hand, you'd think he'd be a natural. Should I try getting him on banjo or steel guitar? His fingers are a little too stumpy for piano and he just howls whenever we try violin.

Fed up in the UP

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
dear maryn,

haggis.

blurve,

cray

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Maryn

My neighbours Some people are annoying. Is it wrong to hope that bunya cones fall on their heads while they are yahooing about?

Signed
Helix
Anonymous
I admit I had to investigate what a bunya cone is. Please take the necessary steps to have these cones fall on the heads of all who yahoo about in such a way as to be annoying, with my blessing.

P.S. Is there any chance bunyas would grow in the US?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have used disposable plates and glasses since the late '80s. The first time it was because my dishwasher was broken, and I refused to spend hours doing dishes after every one went home. It made things so easy, we have done it ever since. And we don't use serving bowls etc. Everyone just fills their plates from the pots on the stove. It is supposed to be about family and being thankful, not how fancy you can make it.
MM

I like this! I do not own a dishwasher, unfortunately. I'm the dishwasher. We have Thanksgiving here and I do end up washing dishes after it's all over. That is not something I look forward to. I am trying to find ways to make things easier so I can enjoy this holiday, too.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Maryn,

my schnauzer Chester absolutely sucks at guitar. I mean, he's got all those built-in picks on each hand, you'd think he'd be a natural. Should I try getting him on banjo or steel guitar? His fingers are a little too stumpy for piano and he just howls whenever we try violin.

Fed up in the UP
Is it not apparent to you that Chester is quite eager to take up soprano sax?

Maryn, shaking her head

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Maryn,

How does one remove battery acid from a chain saw?

Thank you.

Haggis, basking in the moment