"Moan to Maryn," advice column for the holidays

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
My sweet lord, when our kids were at home, a weekend alone was a huge, huge gift. It often seemed as if I was never alone and awake. Literally never.

Kiss your husband and thank him profusely, enjoy, and remember, it's okay to eat any leftover pie. Beats the hell out of guilt, yes?

Maryn, assigning guilt only where it's merited

That is how I feel! Exactly! Never alone. My husband mostly works from home, so when I get home, he's there. DD follows me around and even sometimes watches me workout.

This weekend is certainly a gift! I will happily kiss my husband thank you and good bye Friday morning and do my best not to feel too guilty. :)

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Is this thread still open for Christmas?

My husband and I are attempting to give up processed sugar. For the holidays, I'd like to take sweets to our families' homes, and I've found several recipes that use dates as sweeteners.

When I touch dates, though, I gag. I think they look like giant cockroaches.

Should I feel guilty about poisoning my family with sugar when I've stopped eating it myself? Should I just take ham?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you, by any chance, a baker? There are some lovely, festive breads which travel reasonably well and contain only enough sugar to give the yeast something to eat. If you're able to hand-carry (rather than ship), try this braided bread with eggs, mushrooms, cheese, and spinach:

It looks more impressive than it is difficult. You can fudge what it contains to your liking, too.

Maryn, who makes it maybe once a year, but not usually with such good lighting conditions or a clean tablecloth

Last edited:

RNJ

addicted to love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lionsandlambssaga.wordpress.com
Dear Maryn,

We have a dog who likes to dress up for Christmas, especially in his green and red collar with a dangling jingle bell. Do you have any recommendations for other Christmas dog attire? And should we let him wear it in public?

Admiringly yours,

RNJ

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dogs thoroughly enjoy costumes for every festive occasion. Or at least they don't mind if you reward them with sufficient bacon.

I think your dog would especially enjoy four red boots with upturned toes, worn with green and white striped socks, accompanied by an elf hat with a chin strap to keep it on.

Maryn, who intends to dress Mr. Maryn this way

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Dear Maryn,

I don't wanna wear my glasses, I haveta wear my glasses!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No you don't, except when you drive.

I have glasses for reading, glasses for computer use, glasses for driving and going to the movies. Most of the time, two or more pairs are sitting on top of the flour canister, except when I'm driving. My eye doctor doesn't understand this, but that's his problem.

Maryn, who doesn't even squint much

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
No you don't, except when you drive.

I have glasses for reading, glasses for computer use, glasses for driving and going to the movies. Most of the time, two or more pairs are sitting on top of the flour canister, except when I'm driving. My eye doctor doesn't understand this, but that's his problem.

Maryn, who doesn't even squint much
Sounds like me. I'm always looking for the right pair of glasses. Maybe I should use a flour canister.

My eye doctor doesn't understand anything. Sucks big hairy ones. Removed my cataracts. Now my vision is worse than ever.

RNJ

addicted to love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lionsandlambssaga.wordpress.com
Dogs thoroughly enjoy costumes for every festive occasion. Or at least they don't mind if you reward them with sufficient bacon.

I think your dog would especially enjoy four red boots with upturned toes, worn with green and white striped socks, accompanied by an elf hat with a chin strap to keep it on.

Maryn, who intends to dress Mr. Maryn this way

So, does Mr. Maryn have four feet for his four red boots?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I ain't telling. He's pretty furry, though.

Maryn, dreading beach visits with him