A GAME OF THRONES (HBO) -- POSSIBLE SPOILERS

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty sure the publisher will rearrange the schedule to fast track book 6 once it's ready, rather than delay it to fit into an upcoming publishing slot. In fact, I strongly suspect the publisher has plans and backup plans and contingency plans for how to work it into the schedule as expeditiously as possible. Unless they feel it would maximize publicity to have it released in conjunction with a new season of TV, which could make sense also. I wonder how many of the TV audience who hadn't read the books at the beginning are now reading the books?

ETA: I think it's a fair guess that if the new book were released in conjunction with the premiere of Season 7, most of the book readers would have it finished before Season 7 Episode 2. LONG before Episode 2 ;).

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Martin finished ADWD in April (2011), gave it to his editor. In May (2011), he'd finished requested changes. Book was released in July (2011). I remember at the book signing, Martin said that the quick turnover had a huge part to do with his editor essentially not sleeping for many days to get final edits finished.

I think that not only do they make special considerations for authors such as he (with a rabid fanbase waiting), but also wanted it to come out very soon after Game of Thrones season 1 ended on HBO to keep momentum up.

I think for most working writers it simply doesn't work this way, but for GRRM? Yeeeup. :)

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, I am not sure I am going to live to see the series to the finish, like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, and that makes me sad that I have invested a lot of time in that series...

Wait, Wheel of Time is still going? Wow. Now I'm kind of glad I stopped after book 4.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I am sighing with relief. Originally Wolf Hall was reported to be premiering on PBS April 12 at 9pm, the same day and time that Game of Thrones starts on HBO. I was torn between the two, as I adore both Hillary Mantel books that Wolf Hall is based on, but I am also a huge Game of Thrones fan.

I just rechecked and the confirmed premiere date for Wolf Hall is now April 5th. Thank heavens! I know it's not essential, but I still wanted to watch each of the premieres on their first showing. :D

ETA: Bonus! Jonathan Pryce is in both shows.

Last edited:

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Such a great trailer. And HOO BOY are there some big implications in some of those quick frames, not only for show watchers but potentially for book readers.

For instance (spawlers):

* Soldiers of the Vale riding into Winterfell
* Sansa standing in the Stark crypts of Winterfell
* Brienne/Pod standing somewhere snowy
* Brienne fighting soldiers of the Vale
* Selyse looking very distraught over . . . something
* Jaime and Bronn in Dorne, fighting Dornish soldiers
* Dany and Jorah reunited at a gladiator slave auction or something, though he's masked
* Not an Ironborn in sight *sigh*
* Also no sign of Gendry, who is presumably still circling Dragonstone in that rowboat

Which brings the question: what are you going to do, book readers? This is potentially the season where the show begins surpassing the books in some areas. Will you watch? I'm going to. I'm not worried about being spoiled by the show, since the two have long been on diverging paths anyway. It's possible assumed spoilers are just deviations. And even if it they do get spoiled, I won't be too bothered by it. I read Game of Thrones after watching Season 1 and it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book.

GET HERE, APRIL.

Last edited:

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an avid book reader who's on her third or fourth time through. I will definitely watch, for three reasons:

1. It's my favorite TV show.
2. It will be...interesting...to not know what's going to happen ahead of time. (Caveat: I really would prefer that all events on the order of the Red Wedding came via book first, but that's not my call so I'll deal with it.)
3. If several readings of the book haven't spoiled the current rereading, how could seeing events on TV possibly spoil reading the book? Not for me, anyway :D.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I go back and forth but am sensing that I will likely watch. Drogon is not having any of what Dany is putting down. And I need to see that dragon sass.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I'm going to watch. Oh yes, I'm going to watch. And then I'll probably reread the five books while waiting for season six...which will probably hit the small screen before the sixth book, sigh.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back and forth about watching but I probably will because I'm really only interested in following Arya's story. To me she has become the most compelling character.

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
I'm going to watch... although I'm not happy about the show taking over the books. It's not the fact of spoilers though.
One of the things I enjoy so much is seeing how huge chunks of the books are translated into much more concise scenes in the show. The decisions that are made, what gets added and what gets left out is so interesting to me.

After this point, there isn't going to be as much of that. I know the show-runners have been told what happens, but even if they know in broad strokes, they can't possibly know what each scene will be like because they haven't been written yet.
I'm sure it will still be worth watching for its own sake, but it removes a layer of complexity from the viewing as far as I'm concerned.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I am currently re-watching all the seasons on DVD... and not getting much sleep. :)

kwanzaabot

Registered
Reaction score
(snip)
After this point, there isn't going to be as much of that. I know the show-runners have been told what happens, but even if they know in broad strokes, they can't possibly know what each scene will be like because they haven't been written yet.

I'm sure they've read enough of The Winds of Winter to be able to put together seasons 5 and 6 to the same standard they've always done.

Not to mention, there's been next to nothing of the Iron Islanders since, what? Season 3? So, there's plenty of stuff from A Clash of Kings, A Dance with Dragons and A Feast for Crows to draw from.
And they're getting more important too, due to Victarion heading off to meet Dany.

So I wouldn't worry just yet.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid there will be spoilers for the books in this season. Ugh, I'm waffling a lot. I really love being surprised in the books.

kwanzaabot

Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid there will be spoilers for the books in this season. Ugh, I'm waffling a lot. I really love being surprised in the books.

As someone who saw the 1st season of the TV show and THEN read every single book before season 2 was out, I actually really enjoyed knowing what was coming.

Butcher's boy/Lady/Ned dying were all really gut-wrenching scenes in the show for me, and reading the books after had me on the edge of my seat anticipating it.